Mid-size truck (Tacoma, etc.) - short bed or long bed?

Aug. 20, 2020, 6:47 a.m.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

Tacoma out-sells the other mid sized PU's by > 2 to 1, I see them all over the place in this town,

which truck is better is up for argument but its hard to argue with those kind of sales figures

they are what people compare the other midsized trucks to

kinda like ever one compares tires to maxxis

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 20, 2020, 8:19 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Aug. 20, 2020, 9:25 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Tacoma out-sells the other mid sized PU's by > 2 to 1, I see them all over the place in this town,

which truck is better is up for argument but its hard to argue with those kind of sales figures

Try counting the number of Tacomas you see on a trip to/through Squamish sometime. I feel like a Tacoma must come with every house/condo purchased there.

Aug. 20, 2020, 11:28 a.m.

It would be great if we could get cab over small / mid sized trucks in North America. You can get a 7ft box on a small footprint.

Aug. 20, 2020, 11:39 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: XXX_er

Try counting the number of Tacomas you see on a trip to/through Squamish sometime. I feel like a Tacoma must come with every house/condo purchased there.

It is pretty crazy.  The Toyota dealer must do well.  Half my neighbors own one.

Aug. 20, 2020, 11:42 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Frontier owns the Taco so hard. Legions of minions will have you believe otherwise. 😂

Been thinking about a frontier pro4 x or finding a used Xterra p4x with low mileage. Have to take one for a spin see how it drives. I had a 1994 pathfinder for years, thing was bomb proof. Went 275,000km before I had to replace the original clutch. Besides consumables that truck never had any issues.

I have an 08 Xterra Off-Road (pre-Pro4X) great vehicle. But I’ve outgrown its usage and will be selling it this fall.

Aug. 20, 2020, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

It is pretty crazy.  The Toyota dealer must do well.  Half my neighbors own one.

Are Tacomas really all they are cracked up to be? I like them in general and think they look pretty cool, but it's crazy to me how damn popular they are. What is it exactly? Is it all about their A) reliability and resale value and B) off-road capabilities? A lot of the reviews I read about them are pretty negative, but it sounds like most recent generation isn't as highly regarded as the previous generations?

Aug. 20, 2020, 2:46 p.m.

I'm just surprised we are 3 pages in and nobody has posted that we need those cool 30yr old diesel powered mini trucks they have in the shit hole countries so that i have to post a link to chicken tax

Actualy in addition to being heavily tax them trucks were all too small and real slugs for drivivng on N.A. highways with the diesel but the mid size Tacoma/Colorado/ Ranger is a good size for the soccer mom who used to drive a volvo and becuz ever body wants one ... ever body wants one

instead of chicken tax how about some Everclear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_XWH7Ryd4

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 20, 2020, 3 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 20, 2020, 3:05 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Are Tacomas really all they are cracked up to be? I like them in general and think they look pretty cool, but it's crazy to me how damn popular they are. What is it exactly? Is it all about their A) reliability and resale value and B) off-road capabilities? A lot of the reviews I read about them are pretty negative, but it sounds like most recent generation isn't as highly regarded as the previous generations?

I have never owned one myself, but everyone I know that has always wants another one.  Once you go Taco you never go backo?  I love my old Frontier and would get another one for sure.  It has been amazingly reliable.

Aug. 20, 2020, 3:39 p.m.

TRD Pro Taco is one of the most expensive Go-Pro accessories. 🤪

Aug. 20, 2020, 4:14 p.m.

I just bought the cheapest Taco even the stripped version has enough options for me, they start at just > 40k and get close to 60K, I drove one on a raft shuttle and

the TRD muffler was pretty fucking annoying/loud IMO

My ski bud has I think the  2007 with the rusty frame, they put a new frame in it for free, he is going to buy another taco when this one  dies but its at like 350,000 kms

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 20, 2020, 4:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 21, 2020, midnight

https://youtu.be/72fqYY4YLFo

Aug. 21, 2020, 12:50 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Point A, not so much in the later years but the early tacos and its predecessor built them the reputation that they are currently milking for all its worth, I feel like they've gotten too comfortable and started slacking off on actually introducing substance in their new designs, its all electronic tinsel like Bluetooth this and some bullshit driver aids. 

IMO the new engine is garbage and I've heard a lot of horror stories about the transmissions. 

B. Off road capabilities, they're small and manoeuvrable, like every other midsize truck. What I think Toyota did really good on the current taco is ground clearance. That frame is so far up and out of the way I'm envious because by comparison my frontiers frame hangs as low as a Chevy half tons. 

The aftermarket support for tacos and 4 runners is probably the best in the business, which is just down to market share. But speaking of the 4 runner, that has the mechanical updates and substance that's lacking in the Tacoma. 

Between the new ranger and the zr2 Colorado, and possibly the new frontier (I'm not super optimistic about it, the new engine and trans combo sounds awesome tho) Toyota might have to actually give some substance in the next updates.

Aug. 21, 2020, 7:45 a.m.

I was a satisfyed old Ranger owner but I didnt even look seriously at new Ranger cuz of the short box/ 2.3 with a 10spd/ the possibility of new model gremlins

Toyota takes care of customers, I've seen replacement frames stacked up behind the dealer when have you ever seen a frame being replaced on a truck that far out of warranty, there is  also a Taco rear leaf spring replacement, my  1990 4-runer head gasskette replaced for free on a 7 yr old truck

Aug. 21, 2020, 7:56 a.m.

Years ago I had an 06 Tacoma SR5, drove it from 160km to 280km. Over that time it needed a lot of work and I wasn't happy with how it drove, wasn't worth throwing any more money at a truck with a crusty frame.

Around 2015 I was really done with it. Went out with a $20k budget and found a 10 Frontier Pro-4x with just 55km on it. Still driving it now with 120km, would definitely buy another used one if they can still be had for a good deal.

Newish stuff.. The Ranger seems legit? About the same price as a Frontier but way more payload capacity and a big fat 310lb-ft torque curve.

Last edited by: Madman on Aug. 21, 2020, 8:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 21, 2020, 8:30 a.m.

The frames are stacked up like cord wood behind the dealer and they just give you a new one on warranty, I think its a 40hr job probably a good charge back for the dealer to Toyota, the local dealer will call you up thru that week and say this is also fucked up what do you wana do ?

the " its a toyota " thing never happened for me, IME shit still wore out, I got my 90 at 96,000 kms, stuff broke then it was pretty good between 200,000 and 300,000 and then it needed big repairs

I should have dumped it at around 275,000, I noticed there were alot of used 4-runers for sale with 275,000 kms

at the end it was averaging 1100 $ a month for fuel & repairs on a 10 yr old SUV,

it cost me the same $ to buy/run a brand new VW TDi

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 21, 2020, 12:48 p.m., edited 3 times in total.