Mexican dental work

Jan. 24, 2014, 7:27 p.m.

Sounds like an awesome vacation

Jan. 24, 2014, 7:30 p.m.

you guys have no sense of adventure! :lol:

I'm surprised not a single person in the great NSMB think tank has been to Mexico for dental work, sounds like it's become a pretty common thing with Canadians and Americans who spend the winter down south.

If I decide to give it a try I'll post my thoughts afterwards but…on second thought I'm not so sure I want to spend even a moment of my holiday in a dentist chair!

marry me and you can take advantage of my dental plan from work.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 26, 2014, 7:04 a.m.

Why? The USA is where Canadians go to get cheap meds and Mexico is where USA goes to get cheap meds.

Wut?

Jan. 26, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

UBC dentistry for cheap work before or after your vacation? It's where I got my wisdom teeth removed for 1/10th the price of my dentists predicted price. I don't know if they do gold fillings though, I bet they only practice the most common type of filling.

Jan. 26, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

UBC dentistry for cheap work before or after your vacation? It's where I got my wisdom teeth removed for 1/10th the price of my dentists predicted price. I don't know if they do gold fillings though, I bet they only practice the most common type of filling.

My wisdom teeth came in when I was backpacking overseas and poor … about 2 days of agony, and they've never bothered me since. Dentistry is great and necessary profession, but methinks more than a little of it (especially in the rich world) is about cosmetics and making money (if you have kids, you may have found this out on your own …). A friend told me in the UK, getting a filling replaced costs about $30. Maybe someone else can confirm this. (While making some snide comment about British teeth).

Jan. 26, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

Pretty sure there was a Simpson episode about that one time or another

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 27, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

I have family members that go all the time. If you want the names of the clinics PM me.

They've all had good experiences.

Jan. 27, 2014, 11:08 a.m.

My wisdom teeth came in when I was backpacking overseas and poor … about 2 days of agony, and they've never bothered me since. Dentistry is great and necessary profession, but methinks more than a little of it (especially in the rich world) is about cosmetics and making money

And my wisdom teeth came in with two impacted and a third just cut the gums with a big pocket which caused massive infection. So three were very necessary removals. So whose anecdote trumps here? Or do we accept that anecdote is not the plural of data?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 27, 2014, 12:51 p.m.

I can't come up with number high enough in savings to justify combining the joy of sand and palm trees with the torture of dental work. When I am on vacation nothing of my home life comes with me. No hair cuts, no laundry, no paying bills. NOTHING. Especially going to the fucking dentist!

Jan. 27, 2014, 3:50 p.m.

So whose anecdote trumps here? So whose anecdote trumps here? Or do we accept that anecdote is not the plural of data?

It would be a wonder if humans (or just people with no money for or access to modern dentistry throughout history) still exist if your anecdote was anywhere near the totality of the data.

Jan. 27, 2014, 3:53 p.m.

Surprisingly, the human skull has changed a bit over the millenia. It's called 'evolution'. Just a theory, though!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:03 p.m.

Surprisingly, the human skull has changed a bit over the millenia. It's called 'evolution'. Just a theory, though!

Obviously, infection and painful/damaging eruptions need treatment, but preventative removal of healthy (which includes impacted) wisdom teeth seems to be somewhat controversial ….

"The American Public Health Association recommends against prophylactic removal of asymptomatic, non-pathological wisdom teeth, including wisdom teeth that are impacted,[19] on the basis that the removal of third molars (wisdom teeth), like the removal of any teeth, should be based on evidence of diagnosed pathology or demonstrable need, rather than anticipated future pathology."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_tooth#Treatment_controversy

Jan. 27, 2014, 8:29 p.m.

This guy might have some openings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4meWapA3mE

March 11, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

just wanted to update for anyone interested:

I had some fillings replaced and a few others done while I was in Mexico as well as an ultrasonic cleaning, fluoride treatment etc. Total cost for everything was well under $400 - my local dentist had quoted me over $1600 for the same work done here in Canada.

Pretty easy to find a good dentist; I'm sure there's plenty of hacks (just like in Canada), but Mexico has top-rate dental schools and many of their dentists study in Europe, Canada or the USA.

Also interesting to note that most dentists there use better materials and have better equipment than we have in Canada. Canadian dentists (generally) use inferior ceramic filling material because the highest quality stuff is very expensive in Canada and since operating costs/wages are higher our dentists generally cut corners wherever possible. The dentist I went to was appalled at the quality of the fillings she replaced which where done in Canada.

Yes, I still have both Kidneys and I will never go to a dentist in Canada again. The service and quality of work were miles ahead of what I'd get here, she even called my hotel a few days later to make sure I was happy with everything. Not to mention that the savings paid for my plane ticket and a good portion of a 2 week holiday in the sun :)

March 11, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

Then there's the story on CBC last week about the woman who went to Meh-he-co for a stomach reduction and came back with no stomach at all. Now she's starving to death. Sweet.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.