Meet the first American climate refugees

May 15, 2013, 4:48 p.m.

I agree with Tacklebox.

No pass. They are just like the rest of us.

We are all to blame.

If I vote for the Green Party, can I be smug and get a pass?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 15, 2013, 5:25 p.m.

I hope that is trolling.

No, they didn't want to live on a flood plain they had to, to fish and survive the winter. They are a prime example of people who played no part in rising temperatures at high latitude but will pay the price.

Why did they have to live on the flood plain to fish? I am not trying to be an asshole, but I bet life always sucked balls there even before western culture "made" them live there.

I am all for native rights, but nobody can undo the fact that living in harsh remote locations likely means a much lower standard of living.

May 15, 2013, 6:19 p.m.

Why did they have to live on the flood plain to fish? I am not trying to be an asshole, but I bet life always sucked balls there even before western culture "made" them live there.

I am all for native rights, but nobody can undo the fact that living in harsh remote locations likely means a much lower standard of living.

They chose the location for their settlement 64 years ago…oops,who knew a bend in a river would erode?

Pastor of Muppets

May 15, 2013, 10:59 p.m.

Blasphemy! Geomorphology has never happened before. This must be Al Gore's doing.

I'm sorry, but if you can't buy out some piece of shit Eskimo res for less than three hundred grand a piece, (really should be more like a hundred grand a piece or less given that they are more than likely living together as families for the most part), you should not be in charge of that sort of money. Those glorified portable classrooms aren't worth what they want to relocate them. Buy them all new houses in Anchorage, Nome, Juno, etc and tell then if they want gov't money, it is time to start contributing. If they want to live on some shitty flood plain that has been eroding for centuries, time to walk to a new one.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 15, 2013, 11:03 p.m.

You should take that attitude down to New Orleans. Let us know how it goes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 16, 2013, 1:53 a.m.

There is a difference. These guys moved to an eroding flood plain and are allegedly shocked that it is eroding. New Orleans was designed and built on a flood plain by the Corps of "Engineers", who is well known to be a complete fucking joke. At least New Orleans had some form of engineered plan (however poorly executed it was). These guys just changed their way of living and formed camp in a poor location with no prior planning.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 16, 2013, 4:31 a.m.

New Orleans was around long before the Army Corps of Engineers. Even after the flooding, people are moving back.

All along rivers like the Red or Mississippi there is constant flooding with a lot of loss of properties, and often lives. Yet the people still continue to live there. Look at New Jersey. They were hit by a huge storm and houses were destroyed. Where were the houses? Right on the beach, along a known hurricane path.

In all these cases, the people affected want government assistance for repairs, and to build levees.

At least these Inuit were living next to where they get their food, and moved there years ago because it was safer.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

May 16, 2013, 6:34 a.m.

Next thing you know people who knowingly live in an area called "tornado alley" are going to start whining to FEMA about getting helped. F*ck compassion.

May 16, 2013, 7:35 a.m.

The guardian and the independant are great sources of non american/west biased news

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=led+zepplin+levee[HTML_REMOVED]view=detail[HTML_REMOVED]mid=8B40B588ADCA1D858A978B40B588ADCA1D858A97[HTML_REMOVED]first=0[HTML_REMOVED]FORM=NVPFVR

"When the Levee Breaks" is a blues song written and first recorded by husband and wife Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie in 1929. The song is in reaction to the upheaval caused by the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927.

mama you got to move

pretty much all of lifes lessons are covered in the Led Zepplin boxed set

May 16, 2013, 8:44 a.m.

There is a difference. These guys moved to an eroding flood plain and are allegedly shocked that it is eroding. New Orleans was designed and built on a flood plain by the Corps of "Engineers", who is well known to be a complete fucking joke. At least New Orleans had some form of engineered plan (however poorly executed it was). These guys just changed their way of living and formed camp in a poor location with no prior planning.

I seem to remember what really happened IS America could not afford the war and the levee upgrades so since killing brown people seemed more immeditaley important the administration put off the construction to fund the war

SO you could say indirectly that war also killed a bunch of innocent americans … who drowned in New Orleans

May 16, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

Who also, incidentally, are also brown people.

May 16, 2013, 11:59 a.m.

They aren't 'just like us', unlike the rest of us, they are disproportionately living with the consequences of our collective behavior. Until you personally are being displaced from the place your ancestors have called home for generations, try showing a little compassion.

What, too hard to build your pre fab home on a hill a kilometer away? Life's tough. I hear teepee's are easier to move:rolleyes:

They use gas, they use electricity, stfu with the ancestors shit because they ain't around. Same old aboriginal argument day in day out.

Oh sorry, the worlds changing, adapt or gtfo pls.

My "ancestors" moved out of poland to canada years ago to avoid nazi germany, can I be relocated on the tax payers budget too please? Yeaaaa…. bye.

Clunking is for retards.

May 16, 2013, 12:14 p.m.

It's so heartwarming to see that basic human compassion hasn't been lost in Harper's Canada.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 16, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

This just in … http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/2/024024/article

Peer-reviewed metadata article;

Abstract

We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11?944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 16, 2013, 12:40 p.m.

I feel for these guys. It sucks that the US government only counts fast disasters as something eligible for relief and that should be changed regardless.

I am not sure if a lot of you guys read this article. The people in the village have another site picked out 9 miles away and it doesn't appear that they are going to miss the spot where the village is now. They have been losing ground there for 60 years. At no point in the article did I read that they were pissed white man's pollution is moving them from the ground they hold sacred. They want to move and they want to move now.

The problem there is that there is no process at the current time to fund their move because the affects of climate change is not considered for disaster relief. Racism is alive and well, but if you think the US government would just hand over 300 million dollars to move 350 white people in the middle of nowhere to a new town you are out of your mind.