Media Players

Dec. 9, 2013, 11:06 p.m.

My old Sony 8Gb MP3 player is deceased after around 4 years. I thought that after that amount of time I would be able to buy a 400 Tb player for the same price, but the choice out there is terrible if you don't want to give money to 'The Man' (Apple…and I hate iTunes…).

I'm just looking for a player that will hold a shit load of music, so I can plug it in at work and not have to think about changing the content for a couple of months or so. It doesn't even need to be portable! It could be the size of a brick* for all I care. I've got music on my phone but I don't want to have that plugged into the amp all day, and the work PC is the other side of the workshop to the HiFi, and I probably shouldn't fill it with music anyway.

Is there really nothing out there?

*For those who haven't traveled, this is a brick ;)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 10, 2013, 3:25 a.m.

There are loads out there from the likes of WD, Logitech, etc..

I have two WD players, one with a hard drive the other without - both are controllable by phones/tablets and output music to a hifi/tv

alternatives…

This one is pretty nifty, in that it allows you to swap out a 2.5" drive

http://www.amazon.com/Dune-HD-TV303D-WiFi-streamer/dp/B00B1GRLKY

or this at the other end of the price scale

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUMVISION-CYCLONE-Fusion-Docking-Station/dp/B005EX8XKW

Dec. 10, 2013, 4:16 a.m.

You have a hifi?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 10, 2013, 8:48 a.m.

Why not buy a 1TB USB drive, load it up, then use the work PC simply to play off the external drive? Put mediamonkey or (even) iTunes on the PC, but not the music. Take the drive home every 6 months and reload the music.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76995[HTML_REMOVED]vpn=STBX1000101[HTML_REMOVED]manufacture=Seagate%20Retail[HTML_REMOVED]promoid=1115

Or a cheap old laptop/netbook will do the trick. You don't need a portable MP3 player.

Dec. 10, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

Why not buy a 1TB USB drive, load it up, then use the work PC simply to play off the external drive? Put mediamonkey or (even) iTunes on the PC, but not the music. Take the drive home every 6 months and reload the music.

^this. A nice compact SSD and you're golden.

viperfunk.com

Dec. 10, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

Cheapest solution: pick up a shitty dvd player that supports MP3 playback. Hook up DVD player to stereo. Burn MP3 DVD with 4gb of music on it. Get sick of the music? Burn another disc.

Could probably get one for free on craigslist or at a second hand store for a buck or two.

Dec. 10, 2013, 11 a.m.

I'm guessing you don't own a smartphone with any kind of memory ?

viperfunk.com

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

$35 Raspberry Pi
$25 T-Amp
$2 Bookshelf Speakers from Thrift Store
$X whatever size external hard drive you want to mount in Raspberry Pi

Works great.

Dec. 10, 2013, 9:16 p.m.

There are loads out there from the likes of WD, Logitech, etc..

I have two WD players, one with a hard drive the other without - both are controllable by phones/tablets and output music to a hifi/tv

alternatives…

This one is pretty nifty, in that it allows you to swap out a 2.5" drive

http://www.amazon.com/Dune-HD-TV303D-WiFi-streamer/dp/B00B1GRLKY

or this at the other end of the price scale

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUMVISION-CYCLONE-Fusion-Docking-Station/dp/B005EX8XKW

Thanks. Something like that docking station for mammary cards and the like would be ideal. I'll have a search around and see if I can find something similar here.

Hi-fi? Yep, we have a decent old-school amp and some big-ass speakers that are probably 40 years old that one of my staff kindly brought in. Beats some shitty iPod docking station any day of the week.

As mentioned, my work PC is nowhere near the hi-fi (probably 50ft away) so hooking the two up isn't going to happen. Someone did mention getting an old laptop though, and hooking up a portable drive to that could be a winner.

Yes, I have a load of music on my phone, but again I don't really want my phone 50ft away from where I work.

Cheers!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 10, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

Thanks. Something like that docking station for mammary cards and the like would be ideal.

Awesome typo.

(I googled just to make sure they really didn't exist :) )

Dec. 10, 2013, 10:47 p.m.

Awesome typo.

Ha, yes it seems to happen every time. I don't know why :fruit:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:07 p.m.

Wrong. Again.

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:53 p.m.

I don't play poker often. But when I do, my friends whip out the mammary cards to distract me so they can take my money. :(

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!