Media player in my living room?

Sept. 16, 2012, 5:47 p.m.

Looking for some opinions on the best route to go to get a media player for the big screen in my living room.

Currently I am using a PS3. While it was cool for a while I rarely feel like playing games any more. The Netflix stream is pretty good BUT the web browser sucks balls, new Youtube app doesn't work at all, it doesn't play certain video files and it recognizes cinava protection. It's wireless in G I think so streaming from the PC in the other room is slow. So I'm ready to get rid of it.

I'm thinking a WDLive player. $110. It supposedly plays every format, exports in 1080P, has netflix and has wireless N. But there will be no web browser.

The other option is to get a cheapish laptop with HDMI that will also output 5.1 audio. Is there a chance that a laptop with hdmi might not be able to output 5.1? Will a cheapish laptop be able to handle a 720 or 1080 video feed to my tv such as movies on USB/hard drive/Netflix?

Sept. 16, 2012, 6:32 p.m.

Search on this site, it's been discussed extensively. Lifehacker has lots of articles too.

Fwiw a jail broken apple tv2 is pretty damn slick IMHO.

Sept. 16, 2012, 6:33 p.m.

I prefer using a PC as opposed to a dedicated media player. It's more expensive, but more versatile. I have an Atom / Ion based Acer "net top" PC connected to my 50" plasma, running Plex to play local media off my NAS and stream from the usual online sources. Plex also lets it be a media server for my iPad and other devices. It has no problems playing 1080p videos locally, but it doesn't have the horsepower to transcode 1080p on the fly for viewing on my iPad, so I usually stick to 720p content.

That being said, I've read nothing but good things about the WD boxes if all you want to do is play content off a local or network drive, with a bit of online streaming.

Sept. 16, 2012, 7:16 p.m.

This is what I have. It works just fine and the PS3 connects to it no prob.

Click Me

Sept. 16, 2012, 8 p.m.

This is what I have. It works just fine and the PS3 connects to it no prob.

Interesting for sure, but after the poor video format acceptance of the PS3, unusable youtube app, poor web browser and history of coming out with things that don't stick around I'm reluctant to try it.

Minidisc, sonic stage, location free tv?

Sept. 16, 2012, 8:16 p.m.

the GS7 is pretty sweet, it's essentially a Google Tablet connected to your TV. streams, surfs and the remote is handy.

Sept. 16, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

Interesting for sure, but after the poor video format acceptance of the PS3, unusable youtube app, poor web browser and history of coming out with things that don't stick around I'm reluctant to try it.

Minidisc, sonic stage, location free tv?

I'm not sure what you mean. It runs android apps, like chrome and I haven't had any problems with anything on youtube yet.

But….it's your choice…good luck.

Click Me

Sept. 17, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

I'm not sure what you mean. It runs android apps, like chrome and I haven't had any problems with anything on youtube yet.

But….it's your choice…good luck.

Have you come across any video formats it won't play?

Sept. 17, 2012, 3:35 p.m.

I use this and it works phenomenally well:
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/boxee-box/at-a-glance

For my downloaded TV shows, catalogues and organizes them, downloads the info on each episode, keeps track of whether you have seen it or not. For movies, downloads the ratings and album art from IMDB, rotten tomatoes, etc. Also has a functional web browser, tons of plugins for internet radio, etc.

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

Sept. 17, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

Looking for some opinions on the best route to go to get a media player for the big screen in my living room.

Currently I am using a PS3. While it was cool for a while I rarely feel like playing games any more. The Netflix stream is pretty good BUT the web browser sucks balls, new Youtube app doesn't work at all, it doesn't play certain video files and it recognizes cinava protection. It's wireless in G I think so streaming from the PC in the other room is slow. So I'm ready to get rid of it.

I'm thinking a WDLive player. $110. It supposedly plays every format, exports in 1080P, has netflix and has wireless N. But there will be no web browser.

The other option is to get a cheapish laptop with HDMI that will also output 5.1 audio. Is there a chance that a laptop with hdmi might not be able to output 5.1? Will a cheapish laptop be able to handle a 720 or 1080 video feed to my tv such as movies on USB/hard drive/Netflix?

I recently replaced my Asus o!play media player with the WD Live TV Hub (essentially the same as the LiveTV plus, with a 1TB drive and no wifi). It's great, Western Digital is constantly updating the firmware and adding new apps and features to the player. My wife and I no longer have cable so this box is our primary source of video entertainment. Nothing it won't play. No hacking necessary (cough, cough, I'm looking at you Apple TV)

Sept. 17, 2012, 4:04 p.m.

http://home-media-servers-review.toptenreviews.com/

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 17, 2012, 4:16 p.m.

Okay, for 60 bucks (after rebate), this is tempting …

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64162[HTML_REMOVED]vpn=PTGMCART35-US[HTML_REMOVED]manufacture=Pivos%20Technology%20Group%20Inc.[HTML_REMOVED]promoid=1267

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 17, 2012, 5:17 p.m.

Have you come across any video formats it won't play?

I haven't tried them all to be sure but everything I have tried has worked.

Youtube, flash, Blu-ray dvd rips….whatever NFB uses (cool free app lets you watch a ton of NFB movies).

I have Plex running on my desktop to serve all that media the rest has been on the device itself.

Click Me

Sept. 17, 2012, 10:22 p.m.

Apple TV.

It is Frikking brilliant.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Sept. 18, 2012, 4:02 p.m.

Super impressed with my roommates apple TV. Works so easily with the ipad (as well as any mac with the latest operating system.) Youtube works with no problems. Jail broken apple tv is even better.

flickr