MEC = WTF?!?!?!

Sept. 7, 2016, 5 p.m.

The OP was actually about upcoming winter/mountain/snow gear - soft and hard goods.

Just FYI… Nothing "biking" related although when I went in there to purchase some sport caps for these "Klean Kanteens" I got my kids for school, I browsed their bike section and walked away - uninspired.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 7, 2016, 5:01 p.m.

Hey, as long as they still carry Patagucchi, it's all good, right?

That place is nothing but a funding mechanism for radical islamic terrorists, I tells ya! Don't believe me? Well, what's there website url?
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

It's true because I read it on PounterCunch.

I noticed under the member login there's an ISIS section that's greyed out unless you have a specific username or password.

But I'm sure this is just coincidental :orly:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 7, 2016, 5:28 p.m.

I get better pricing and selection from my LBS compared to MEC.

Their website will only price match, local brick [HTML_REMOVED] mortar stores. Like fuck of you want to have an online presence then play with the big boys.

When the dollar wasn't in the shitter backcountry.com was the hype. The amount of Goretex ski jackets I split open and returned is fucked.
Also pretty shitty that I have to order snowboard boots from a website in Utah because the CDN distributors/retailers are shitheads.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 7, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

I browsed their bike section and walked away - uninspired.

They were rolling out the Intense bike display when I was in the North Van store this morning. Heard a couple of staff commenting on how crazy it was that they're selling $8000 bikes.

Once upon a time, when the nearest MEC to me was 1000km away in Ottawa, and before online shopping, getting the new MEC catalog was such a big deal. Drooling over the new climbing gear, and seeing how far in you could get before you didn't have at least one thing on the page.

Sept. 7, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

I was in the Victoria location a couple weeks ago and it was shoulder to shoulder busy, their tent prices are awful. Robinsons had everything I wanted but it was disturbingly quiet. :(

Sept. 7, 2016, 6:32 p.m.

i was recently checking prices for climbing ropes and they were quite a bit better than prices at other online retailers like backcountry.com

so maybe they do well on some stuff and not so much on others?

for example i found their pack pricing to be on the high side and was surprised as some packs seemed to be priced at msrp.

it always pays to shop around a bit first.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 7, 2016, 7:09 p.m.

I was in the Victoria location a couple weeks ago and it was shoulder to shoulder busy, their tent prices are awful. Robinsons had everything I wanted but it was disturbingly quiet. :(

If and when I'm in Vic I shop at Robinsons. My sisters BF goes there every Boxing Day AM for the sales.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 7, 2016, 9 p.m.

i was recently checking prices for climbing ropes and they were quite a bit better than prices at other online retailers like backcountry.com

so maybe they do well on some stuff and not so much on others?

Traditionally, MEC's prices for climbing gear were the best going. Smaller shops would often match them, but you'd rarely find it any cheaper. I've been out of touch with climbing gear prices for about a decade, so I don't know if that's still true.

I assume it was simply their massive volume relative to what any other shop could move, but I've also heard that they subsidized core product lines (the co-op was founded specifically to get cheap climbing gear) with higher margin stuff like clothing.

Sept. 7, 2016, 9 p.m.

Robinsons rules. Its always quiet in there, and yet they remain. MEC = meh

Sept. 7, 2016, 9:24 p.m.

Go into MEC and ask for a transcript of the pay scales. you will than understand why there are no longer any Coop prices to be found.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Sept. 7, 2016, 9:41 p.m.

Maxxis Minion DHR II foldable, 650b 2.3"

MEC NV $96.00
North Shore Bike Shop $90.00

TBS Bike Parts $65.00

With link: https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/maxxis-dhr-ii-exo-27-5-tire/

I know that's an online price but there's no MEC near me so buying from them would have to be online anyways.

Sept. 7, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

TBS Bike Parts $65.00

With link: https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/maxxis-dhr-ii-exo-27-5-tire/

I know that's an online price but there's no MEC near me so buying from them would have to be online anyways.

yeah but that's us$, so it's about $87 cdn.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 7, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

TBS is Canadian, based in Kelowna.

They carry a small variety of very well priced goods.

Sept. 7, 2016, 10 p.m.

TBS is Canadian, so those prices are in loonies.

Sept. 7, 2016, 10:01 p.m.

Nope, CAD not USD. Also, $59 each if you buy two