MEC = WTF?!?!?!

Sept. 7, 2016, 12:21 p.m.

Just gotta air this…

MEC has now totally and utterly contravened what they once - at least to me - were all about and represented.

Quality gear, clothing, accessories, great pricing, membership had its benefits, and their in-house brand was always in the "great choice" well priced category of goods to be bought.

Fast forward to today - not only are they carrying more [uber upscale] name brand stuff, the name brand stuff they're carrying is priced higher than many of the "boutique" shops here in Whistler :drool: Secondly, my wife goes down there to peruse some kids stuff and was totally appalled at the pricing of their "in house" gear and actually asked the floor staff WTF was up. Guy apparently sheepishly said "we've been getting a lot of this kind of feedback from our members and the general public. It's just that, um, well, our target audience and demographic has shifted significantly, so we have to shift with it". Seriously, dafuq!?!?!?!? :censored:

Just looked at some hard goods (ski/mountaineering gear) - their online prices are almost 30% more than what's currently available locally here in Whistler.

Bye bye MEC - you were at one time a solid place for real people to get real consumer items. Your new "direction" sucks and I hope when the cookie crumbles, you're left firing your board and begging to reassemble the crumbs left behind. You're f*cking the very people that made you great. A$$holes!!

/end rant

Le Sanch

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 7, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

What do you expect as Vancouver becomes the playground for the global wealthy?

I've had the best luck with my local Valhalla pure anyways. I can definitely see where they're coming from with the shift in target market, another thing to consider the tent I bought last year damn near doubled in price cause of the shit Canadian dollar.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

:clap:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 7, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=163263[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=mec

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 7, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

MEC jumped the shark for me a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQHRQ-8xLA

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 7, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

Just looked at some hard goods (ski/mountaineering gear) - their online prices are almost 30% more than what's currently available locally here in Whistler.

Are you comparing the same season product? Knowing a few things about how the industry is priced this doesn't actually make sense. I'd like to see your actual comparison of the same season hard good items prices 30% HIGHER at MEC than in an independent shop.

Sept. 7, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

Are you comparing the same season product? Knowing a few things about how the industry is priced this doesn't actually make sense. I'd like to see your actual comparison of the same season hard good items prices 30% HIGHER at MEC than in an independent shop.

I'm not gonna "out" the 2 reps I just got off the phone with this morning, so leave well enough alone… They supply both the local shops here and MEC with "their product line". When I tapped into the shops up here?? Saw the prices - fine. Logged into MEC, and ya, 30% for the SAME SEASON SAME MODEL SAME ITEM product.

I'll send some links somewhat subversively another day, ahem….

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 7, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

A lot of bike stuff is a cheaper elsewhere … online - for one, but also from surrounding bike stores. I'm no fashionista, but I think a lot of their clothing looks dreadful. Its bsically a place to go when everything else is closed.

Sept. 7, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Without links, this thread is the Counter Punch of outdoor gear pricing information.

Sept. 7, 2016, 3:05 p.m.

There’s a reason why they got rid of the mountains from the logo a few years back and replaced it with a big box - to better reflect their transition to a yuppie equipment co-op with big box store values. For outdoor clothing I tend to use Live Out There and get stuff 40-50% off. For gear I usually end up going to MEC due to their return policy. The problem is now they give you the amount paid for the product back and not the amount to replace the product with an identical one, which is usually a 25% discrepancy after a two year period due to their skyrocketing prices.

Sept. 7, 2016, 3:05 p.m.

Without links, this thread is the Counter Punch of outdoor gear pricing information.

Maxxis Minion DHR II foldable, 650b 2.3"

MEC NV $96.00
North Shore Bike Shop $90.00

Sept. 7, 2016, 3:11 p.m.

Hey, as long as they still carry Patagucchi, it's all good, right?

That place is nothing but a funding mechanism for radical islamic terrorists, I tells ya! Don't believe me? Well, what's there website url?
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

It's true because I read it on PounterCunch.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 7, 2016, 3:40 p.m.

I find that MEC has less[HTML_REMOVED] less stuff I buy, try and find a simple pair of mid weight fleece pants or lightweight fleece which were/are outdoor staples ..
.nfg
At this point I have at least one of everything I need and I just replace as shit comes up very cheap, usually end of season at Valhalla pure or live out there or monod bought ski boots from chermany
A lot of used or highly discounted skis

Sept. 7, 2016, 3:48 p.m.

The problem is now they give you the amount paid for the product back and not the amount to replace the product with an identical one, which is usually a 25% discrepancy after a two year period due to their skyrocketing prices.

If you get to use a product for 2 years and then get 100% of your money back, I think that's a pretty good deal!