MEC in recievership

Oct. 2, 2020, 12:09 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

I am not 'writing it off'. I just don't see the scenario where MEC gets salvaged into something it used to be given how far it has strayed from its initial premise. At least this way, most of the workforce will get to keep their jobs (for now).

Ahh, ok - that makes sense, the job thing is an important aspect. Unfortunately I think that's one of the negatives of moving back towards the older model, is that there are not enough consumers who follow an ethos of socially responsible consumerism and paying a little more for high quality product to support an enterprise of it's current size or slightly small. Just spit balling, but I'd guess MEC would shrink to probably 1/2 it's current size if that move were to happen.

Oct. 2, 2020, 2:59 p.m.

That'd be ok. Pivot to mail order. Chop stores in small markets.

Oct. 6, 2020, 7:27 a.m.

they got 5.8 million members but how many of those were real member and how many just showed up at the checkout and were asked for another 5 bucks

I was in the Langley store and one first things that struck me was wtf is place doing here they don't have all the good stuff so 22 stores and 5 of them you don't need ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 6, 2020, 7:29 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 6, 2020, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

they got 5.8 million members but how many of those were real member and how many just showed up at the checkout and were asked for another 5 bucks

Lots, I bet. For awhile, it seemed that almost everytime I was in the checkout line at the North Van store there would be at least one person ahead of me that was making their first purchase, and the clerk having to explain that they needed to buy a membership. That was about the time they started selling Levis, Blundstones, alpine ski gear and all the other mass market stuff.

I can remember going into the original Toronto store 25 years ago and them having massive printed membership directories on a shelf so people who had lost their member card could look up their number before going to the checkout.

Last edited by: PaulB on Oct. 6, 2020, 11:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 6, 2020, 4:41 p.m.

yeah ^^ and so you could just go borrow a # any number they didn't care 

At some point they needed to buy IBM POS and IBM as400

I'm in the millions but I had a girlfriend with # 9xx and her brother in law was # 5x

UBC Varsity outdoor club ^^

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 6, 2020, 4:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 7, 2020, 1:47 p.m.

Back in January, they were planning to sub-lease the entire building and move to a smaller place, but I don't know if that actually happened.

Oct. 9, 2020, 9:09 a.m.

Some good news for most of the employees. For now at least, Kingswood says they will be only closing one store and cutting 15% of staff.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mec-layoffs-closures-1.5756909