MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

May 31, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

You can be as aware as you want, but you often cannot stop in time regardless. I was hit by a 19 yo girl in a borrowed car from out of town. She turned left into me, just didn't see me.

When I was in high school my dad T-boned a logger's work truck the same way, guy turned left through an intersection, my dad was riding straight through. He crushed the tank with his knees trying to stay on the bike, sailed over the truck box and landed in the ditch on the other side of the intersection. The logger didn't even see him, or know he had been hit. He thought the skidder tire in his truck box had moved. Wrote off the bike, his helmet and all his clothing. Took him a while to recover as he was pretty banged up from flying that far and landing hard.

June 1, 2015, 7:45 a.m.

I rode street bikes for 10 years including a very short stint as Motorcycle courier in London UK. lucky I didn't kill myself really

I can see getting a dual sport later in life but not for city driving

June 1, 2015, 8:15 a.m.

I drove out to Maple Ridge today to get some keys for a street bike I bought and the cops had a lane of the lougheed highway blocked off for most of the afternoon and sure enough a street bike was parked at the side of the road. I hope the rider is ok, but it sure seemed like a long time to have multiple cop cars at a scene and a one lane blocked off.

Lots of people drive motorcycles daily and they can be pretty safe, but one sure needs to take extra caution for their own safety.

i saw that too Bryan, the bike didnt look impacted, and didnt have a bunch of ditch gunk hanging off it so Im hoping the rider was ok

I ride on roads alot, have for years.. I did take a break from it a while back while my kids were littler and I had to go to work everyday.
So been riding for 34 years total.
Frankly, riding in Vancouver streets, especially during rush hour is very stressing, and very dangerous.. Theres a large amount of drivers that dont understand the finality of a collision for the rider, or simply dont care. So I avoid it as much as possible, I take my car into town most days, ride my bike out on the roads /hwys in the FV.

If I do go into van, its on the Harley, not on a small bike, More metal (crash bars) around me, abs brakes, horsepower in a pinch, and loud pipes help I think.
Never downtown during the workday though I had a lady sideswipe me from behind changing lanes into me on Howe Street downtown 2 years ago, crash bars on a heavy Harley and wet pavement helped me to ride it out but she pushed me into the lane to my right
She had two nasty dents on her landrover, no damage to my bike cause she got both crash bars only. She said she had the "right of way and took it" ICBC said it was her fault, which it clearly was in this case, she had to fix her own car. Mine was undamaged. (Big Harley crash bars FTW)
I wanted to kick her in the box when she said she had the right of way and "took it".
So cause you think you have the right away its ok to run into a guy on a motorcycle with your Landrover?
That was the last time I took a motorcycle downtown on a work day. Not worth it.

I'll keep riding out in the valley, way safer.

June 1, 2015, 10:01 p.m.

had the right away and took it? fuck that's a sick arrogant thing to say. hope that bitch has a miserable demise… i get my back up when it comes to nearly killing motorcyclists. i once pulled out in a fit and late for work and nightmared a poor guy on a bike. stopped short of course but probably terrified the guy. felt shame for a week. that's the risk, 'just didn't see him'. never an excuse but it's real.

June 2, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

i saw that too Bryan, the bike didnt look impacted, and didnt have a bunch of ditch gunk hanging off it so Im hoping the rider was ok

I ride on roads alot, have for years.. I did take a break from it a while back while my kids were littler and I had to go to work everyday.
So been riding for 34 years total.
Frankly, riding in Vancouver streets, especially during rush hour is very stressing, and very dangerous.. Theres a large amount of drivers that dont understand the finality of a collision for the rider, or simply dont care. So I avoid it as much as possible, I take my car into town most days, ride my bike out on the roads /hwys in the FV.

If I do go into van, its on the Harley, not on a small bike, More metal (crash bars) around me, abs brakes, horsepower in a pinch, and loud pipes help I think.
Never downtown during the workday though I had a lady sideswipe me from behind changing lanes into me on Howe Street downtown 2 years ago, crash bars on a heavy Harley and wet pavement helped me to ride it out but she pushed me into the lane to my right
She had two nasty dents on her landrover, no damage to my bike cause she got both crash bars only. She said she had the "right of way and took it" ICBC said it was her fault, which it clearly was in this case, she had to fix her own car. Mine was undamaged. (Big Harley crash bars FTW)
I wanted to kick her in the box when she said she had the right of way and "took it".
So cause you think you have the right away its ok to run into a guy on a motorcycle with your Landrover?
That was the last time I took a motorcycle downtown on a work day. Not worth it.

I'll keep riding out in the valley, way safer.

When I was living in Vancouver and commuting out to UBC daily on my vfr500 a friend and I got into the "loud pipes save lives" argument. This article kind of sums up my thoughts on it.

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/stop-saying-loud-pipes-save-lives

I also noted the thousands and thousands that don't hear the fire truck blasting 120 db directly forward until said truck is within five ft.

But I think he won on the - more metal more better - argument. I always felt more comfortable riding my bike as I felt I was more upright and could see further ahead, more nimble and could make evasive maneuvers quicker. He felt that being big, bright, large and in charge gave him better visibility. We switched bikes for a week to test our various theories. I had to concede that I think I got cut off less on his bike (Harley Fatboy) than on mine. However, when I did get cut off I seemed to see it coming later and took my life in my hands when I took evasive action.

Then I had kids and sold the bike.

June 6, 2015, 10:25 p.m.

Has anyone watched the Super Enduro Series on RedBull? Crazy looking courses

Sounds like our boy Rob Warner is doing the announcing of it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 9, 2015, 4:33 a.m.

Got 4 hours or so to kill?…Erzberg rodeo
http://www.ktm.com/erzberg2015

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 12, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

Bumping this thread as I have something to add.

Oct. 13, 2015, 7:58 a.m.

Bumping this thread as I have something to add.

nice what year?

I had a 78 Z900 for a bit, fun bike but you could feel its age.

Oct. 13, 2015, 8:16 a.m.

nice what year?

I had a 78 Z900 for a bit, fun bike but you could feel its age.

77, 15,800kms. A few things that need tidying up but not much. It starts on the first or second kick, the starter works once warmed up. New tires, battery, plugs, wires, etc. The carbs have just been cleaned and tuned. Has a NOS 78 seat with the original decals underneath (tire psi, warnings, etc). The turn signal switch is a bit sticky but the electronics all work. Bangs through the gears nicely and neutral is easy to find.

I don't plan to do anything to it other than clean it and fix the aging items. Might make a bike rack for it over the winter so I can mount a mtb.

Nov. 16, 2015, 1:33 a.m.

:lol: Check it out @ 3:20………

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2jvzAWR2k

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 16, 2015, 6:09 a.m.

:lol: Check it out @ 3:20………

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2jvzAWR2k

Pretty standard for the home garage.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Nov. 16, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

love that video. great to watch it again. early British rednecks, awesome. and look at the skills.

bkoz, you still have your Husaberg 390? i didn't ride much at all much of the year but have got back into it this fall. recall i broke my ankle on the berg this spring, shortly after getting it. lovin riding, getting better and lovin the berg. awesome bike.

Nov. 17, 2015, 7:18 a.m.

love that video. great to watch it again. early British rednecks, awesome. and look at the skills.

bkoz, you still have your Husaberg 390? i didn't ride much at all much of the year but have got back into it this fall. recall i broke my ankle on the berg this spring, shortly after getting it. lovin riding, getting better and lovin the berg. awesome bike.

Your thinking of someone else. I am riding a 250XC right now. Good to hear your back on the bike though.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Nov. 20, 2015, 3:57 a.m.

Me perhaps, I still have my 390 - but it's in sumo form atm

Not getting much use though, spending all my riding time on the new wheels!! So much fun!!