MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

Jan. 29, 2015, 4:36 p.m.

Oh, you'll need 3 bikes…plated thumper, woods smoker and a trials donkey.

/\ /\

These

\/ \/

Plated thumper means loops right off the house, no wasted time loading/driving/unloading…

Jan. 29, 2015, 4:45 p.m.

One more note on the plated dual sport….

Sometimes it is nice to load up, take off your clothes and drive home after a ride.

From my garage door, to my garage door, sloquet hot springs was a 13 hour day. That is a long time to spend in the saddle. The guy I rode with took his quad out on his truck to the gravel edge. He drove beside me the whole way home. He looked a lot more comfortable than I was feeling.

I have a better seat now, but that is still a long day!

Jan. 29, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

Having done the 'full fleet' thing for quite a while, the wanting has always been for another 8hrs on the clock each day. Given a somewhat involved job and family prio's to juggle, finding time to ride consistently is tricky.

Plated thumper means loops right off the house, no wasted time loading/driving/unloading…

Ride safe and wring that time sponge dry!

Kinda funny this came up. I am in the process of liquidating myself. 3 mtbs to 1, 6 motos (I know, don't ask) to 2. Tired of the upkeep and time is becoming a premium.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Jan. 29, 2015, 8:16 p.m.

6 motos, are you kidding!! holy cow! the amount of maintenance alone would consume incredible time and money…

speaking of…

sumo wheels: is this slang for supermoto wheels? i would like to enjoy my Husaberg on the street more smoothly and safely than serious dirt tires allow for. i could learn to change my own tires, but i get the impression it's a fair bit of work. what is involved with getting SM wheels and swapping out as needed? i'm thinking wheels, tires, brake rotors, and how about sprocket size and chain issues? am i over thinking it or is it quite complicated in reality? i thought i saw one of you guys post a picture of his Berg with spare road wheels…

Jan. 29, 2015, 9:36 p.m.

6 motos, are you kidding!! holy cow! the amount of maintenance alone would consume incredible time and money…

speaking of…

sumo wheels: is this slang for supermoto wheels? i would like to enjoy my Husaberg on the street more smoothly and safely than serious dirt tires allow for. i could learn to change my own tires, but i get the impression it's a fair bit of work. what is involved with getting SM wheels and swapping out as needed? i'm thinking wheels, tires, brake rotors, and how about sprocket size and chain issues? am i over thinking it or is it quite complicated in reality? i thought i saw one of you guys post a picture of his Berg with spare road wheels…

Si, correcto on the hoops. Fun, very fun. I had a set for my LC4. If you're just casual about it you don't need to go apesh!t and buy a monster 300mm rotor, 6 pot caliper, stiff fork [HTML_REMOVED] springs. But you have to be mindful you're riding a pseudo setup and handling/braking won't be nearly as crisp. It's only as complicated as you make it…

Ride More Bitch Less

Jan. 29, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

On chain and sprocket you can get a dedicated setup you swap in with wheels or you can get crafty with the axle blocks and experiment to find the right combo of gears and chain length that'll allow you to just flip the blocks for each wheelset and use same chain. Lots of heavy internet breathing on this, just a matter of finding it at one of the sites I shall not name.

Good luck and love to see the pics if you do indeed pursue it.

PS…general Q. If my grom is a PinkBike-aholic and is 'following' WayneP, should I be worried :lol:

Ride More Bitch Less

Jan. 31, 2015, 7:38 a.m.

speaking of…

I have a 17" sumo setup that I swap back and forth on my 390. Takes me around 2 hours to do the swap while enjoying some beverages :)

my street setup:

KTM/behr 17" wheels (3.5" front, 5" rear)
Avon Distanza tires (150 on the rear)
Beringer 6 piston front brake w/ Brembo MC (310mm cast iron floating disc)
Dedicated (shorter) chain
Rear wheel has a diff sprocket for higher road speed
I re-use the stock rear brake - no real need for any changes here, especially with the monster front brake

It's a pretty straight forward swap for the most part.

I cut the front brake light wiring and put connector ends on the 'bike' side, so I could just plug either the sumo connection or the dirt connection in to make it easier.

You can also change the wheel size in the computer so it'll recalibrate the speedo. I have my always on the 17" wheel size - and when the dirt wheels are on it just reads 3-4 km/h higher than normal.

I really love swapping these on the bike in the warm months for some street action - but I always get myself into trouble for ducking off onto the dirt - while the distanza's are quite good, they are still only a 20% offroad tire :)

This was not fun… super fine rocks/particles/mud - had to completely take apart the caliper and clean it crazy good. Quick lunch time street ride gone bad! (30 minutes of digging in the mud to escape)

March 7, 2015, 9:16 a.m.

So its been a while since anyone has posted Moto related and its that time of year when all the great riding starts. For me its been all year almost every weekend and Mcnutt. Skipping this weekend due to knee and brace is on the way.
Even Supercross has been pretty meh this season with Dungy walking away with it because of no Villo or Bubba although the field does seem stacked.
Got some Custom moto decals done from Pti Graffix last weekend. Ryan is a awesome guy and i wanted to support his business. few picks

And then i went and did this lost the stem? clamp bolt 3 hours into my ride. I used some zap straps and strap off my bag and an hour later found some rope and tied it all up to get me out 3 hours later just before Dark

RIDE BIKES
:canada:

March 7, 2015, 2:44 p.m.

cool Yami. is that a motocross bike turned woods bike? no battery or electronics to deal with?

i fuckered myself but good today. gorgeous morning ride, trails close to home, went up a steep loose hill like a pussy and paid the price. stalled near the top rolled back, tried to save it by putting my leg out and the bike fell on my right foot. broke the ankle. 6 weeks crutches and cast. doc said it's way better than torn ligaments. faster recovery. fitness was peaking, epic mtn bike trip planned for Squamish in 3 weeks. no more…

March 7, 2015, 3:43 p.m.

Even Supercross has been pretty meh this season with Dungy walking away with it because of no Villo or Bubba although the field does seem stacked.

Walking but not running. I'm still waiting for someone (Helllooo Tomac..) to come into their own.

Watching the Quatar MXGP was a bit yawn…It's funny to say this but the USA fanfare and annoucing make the SX and outdoors good events to watch.

March 7, 2015, 5:39 p.m.

cool Yami. is that a motocross bike turned woods bike? no battery or electronics to deal with?

i fuckered myself but good today. gorgeous morning ride, trails close to home, went up a steep loose hill like a pussy and paid the price. stalled near the top rolled back, tried to save it by putting my leg out and the bike fell on my right foot. broke the ankle. 6 weeks crutches and cast. doc said it's way better than torn ligaments. faster recovery. fitness was peaking, epic mtn bike trip planned for Squamish in 3 weeks. no more…

What boots were you wearing?

March 7, 2015, 5:47 p.m.

Interesting story behind this bike. These bids just cant be real.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KX-The-bike-that-chad-reed-rode-for-opening-ceremonies-/321684608324?forcerrptr=true[HTML_REMOVED]hash=item4ae5e59544[HTML_REMOVED]item=321684608324[HTML_REMOVED]pt=US_motorcycles

http://www.ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507994

Chainsmoker 8)

March 7, 2015, 7:40 p.m.

alpinestars scouts. pretty soft, very comfortable, waterproof. could hike a hard trail with them if i had to. clearly inadequate for what happened to me. would a harder boot with mechanical hinge have prevented this? i'm not so sure.

March 8, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

Yes i had to flywheel weight it 13Oz and i added a rekluse clutch and woods settings for the suspension. Also a shoulder saver is the Fast Flexx bars i can ride 4-5 hours now with no pain the next day and im not as worn out on the ride. an E start would be nice but its a simple kick and she fires up
It Chugs and Lugs through the nasty woods of Mcnutt now nicely

RIDE BIKES
:canada:

March 8, 2015, 10:53 a.m.

Yes i had to flywheel weight it 13Oz and i added a rekluse clutch and woods settings for the suspension. Also a shoulder saver is the Fast Flexx bars i can ride 4-5 hours now with no pain the next day and im not as worn out on the ride. an E start would be nice but its a simple kick and she fires up
It Chugs and Lugs through the nasty woods of Mcnutt now nicely

I had almost the same set up except for an 11oz fww. When I got the Rekluse I ditched the fww and it made my riding much better, faster, and more enjoyable. The Rekluse adds some fww inherently anyway. It definitely 'woke' the bike up and gave it a sense of have more power earlier. A little more explosive but I like that.

That said, I used to ride in Kamloops. I rode lots of fast trails but there were also some very technical trails that I would ride a lot. I only ever rode McNutt once. Those factors may have some bearing on why I liked the bike better without the fww.