MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

Dec. 19, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

Norona, is snowbiking any harder on the bike than regular riding? harder riding skills? how bout if the snow is really deep and you fall over!? looks pretty good and fairly straight forward in that video.

Dec. 19, 2014, 10:18 a.m.

I island hop in the Atlantic, bouncing between newfoundland and iceland… Far from tropical, but we do what we must :)

I believe you'll love the bike, it really is a great machine! gl with it!

Dec. 19, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

I island hop in the Atlantic, bouncing between newfoundland and iceland… Far from tropical, but we do what we must :)

What does it cost you to ship a bike from nfld to icleand?

Iceland looks like it would be good times on the 690.

Dec. 19, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

Norona, is snowbiking any harder on the bike than regular riding? harder riding skills? how bout if the snow is really deep and you fall over!? looks pretty good and fairly straight forward in that video.

Did one day a few years back at Coq lakes. I have virtually no experience sledding but lots riding. Had no problem at all making the switch to the snowbike. The first few minutes felt a bit squirrelly, had a few good wobbles when we got onto some hardpack, but spent most of the day in deep, deep powder and had no problems at all with the riding part.

The falling over, digging out, and getting moving again part, OTOH, was pretty brutal, especially as the day got long and we got tired. We were on an older system (2moto?) that tended to dig itself in deeper rather than digging itself out - the one guy on a Timbersled had much less issue with it.

All in all it's wicked fun and pretty easy to make the switch.

Dec. 19, 2014, 1:08 p.m.

Here's what it looks like with noobs riding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96BgL3JeyE

Dec. 19, 2014, 2:39 p.m.

What does it cost you to ship a bike from nfld to icleand?

Iceland looks like it would be good times on the 690.

we're usually a few years in each place, so its a full shipping container w/ household belongings, etc…

5k for a 20 ft container from RKV to St. John's 2 years ago when we did this last

But yes, the 690 would be amazing there. It's a fairly large island and there is alot of ground to cover so these MX/Enduro type bikes arn't really that good due to the small oil capacity, etc… I had a 450 husaberg when there last and logged some 4-5,000 km's exploring but couldn't really do any long distance touring at all.

www.bikingviking.is is a great shop that I was dealing with and got to know, they do rentals with large bmw fleets and week+ long tours. Some really great riding/exploring to be had!

I took my mountain bikes with me when we moved there first, but ended up buying the moto instead and haven't really put in any pedal strokes since :)

Dec. 19, 2014, 3:50 p.m.

If I ever run out of places to explore in BC, that place is definitely on my list.

Fortunately/unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Dec. 19, 2014, 4 p.m.

I rode almost every weekend over the winter a few years back, but I just studded up my tires. As long as you've got studded tires, a properly jetted carb (if applicable) and appropriate gear then you'll be fine. We did lots of 2' deep powder, but the best traction comes in around 6" to a foot. Sometimes traction is too good if you are hitting ground. Tree crossings and roots are super grippy.

Snow is really hard on your bike though. Its like running in sand but maybe even worse. Snow can get around your engine, melt, then freeze. I've had numerous times my bike wouldn't start until I chipped away the block of ice around the carb/engine.

All in all, this type of snowbiking is super fun. A pain in the ass to set up, but still a hoot. Much cheaper than the alternatives and it feels almost exactly like regular riding.

Dec. 19, 2014, 9:49 p.m.

Its easy that is why so many people like it. The bike will sit upright without you having to touch the ground but you can get high sided, snobikes are also super easy to get unstuck since you lie it down and pull the ski around…today was pretty sick, it is great as I am not busting a-arms on the sleds and having a blast, but riding in the tight stuff and steeper stuff makes it more challenging…a few from today, son biking is like trials to the winter sports…it does not matter what bike or which timbersled kit, although mine is sleeping on brohm tonight after either busting a bearing in the kit or a loose chain case, rookie first day out without proper tools….doubling out on the 500 was fun and will get it tomorrow on another mission…so free bike up there to who ever finds it!

ktm 500

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Dec. 20, 2014, 7:21 a.m.

this whole motorcycle thing sure snowballs eh?? not a dam thing wrong with my little KLX250. cheap solid transportation and decent enough off road. yes it is, no matter what real dirt bikers say.

but but but…

i'm really fracking tall and it just feels so small and mild. i like it but it does seem kinda…. old and basic. so my 'bike advisor' (LBS mtn bike manager) says, 'why wouldn't you get something bigger and more capable. he says 'look for used Husaberg 390. street legal even. hard to find, but best bike out there. plenty of mellow power, easy to maintain, ten times your klx or the yamaha wrr blah blah blah.

naturally a bike like this won't be for sale anywhere near me anyways so i look just for fun… a guy has one 3 yrs old 3400km (44hrs) 1hr south of me, plated. wants it gone, no time to ride. so i go down and he lets me ride it yesterday.

holy crap. could there be a cooler bike? tall, rangy like me, light, smooth and powerful and freaking dead sexy. Husaberg. OMG, make the lust stop….

I am pretty sure the FE390 was never street legal from the factory in Canada. Our FE570 was platable but not the 390. Other markets could plate the 390.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Dec. 21, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

I am pretty sure the FE390 was never street legal from the factory in Canada. Our FE570 was platable but not the 390. Other markets could plate the 390.

i believe it was only the 2010 models.

My 2011 390 was street titled over the phone 2 years without any issues at all here in newfoundland. It doesn't come with lights or anything, but the harness, etc… is all there, just need the lights/horn/etc…

Dec. 21, 2014, 10:46 p.m.

bought the Berg 390 today. she's beautiful but i think she was loved pretty hard. i'm reading the manual and trying to learn all about her at great length. want to get the bike in tip top condition and set a new maintenance baseline. it was made street legal, lights, signals, plate. registration is all good, but it's pure dirt bike, no question. the man can't take it back though, i double checked with ICBC, it's a done deal. it's a dual sport now, no matter what.

Dec. 22, 2014, 2:19 p.m.

it was made street legal, lights, signals, plate. registration is all good, but it's pure dirt bike, no question. the man can't take it back though, i double checked with ICBC, it's a done deal. it's a dual sport now, no matter what.

Really? This is a frequently argued topic over on DSBC, and from those discussions I was under the impression ICBC had closed all the loopholes on RUM bikes. I thought the general consensus was, if you have a plate, you get to keep it until you are unlucky enough to get pulled over and have a cop demand an inspection, at which point you won't have a plate any more. More importantly, I have also heard about at least one instance of ICBC denying 3rd party liability claims against an RUM bike even though it was registered and plated. At-fault accident, bike owner is out of pocket for injuries and damages to the other party, since the insurance is deemed invalid due to the bike not being legal for registration in the first place. Not sure if true, but a dangerous gamble if you have any assets to lose.

2015 FE350S (now branded Husky, but basically an EXC350) really is street legal in BC from the factory

Dec. 22, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

the 390s were street legal from factory. I know a guy who bought one new

Dec. 22, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

As far as I know, if the Transport Canada sticker says MC or Motorcycle it is totally street legal with the required lights etc.

A sticker that says RUM, Off Road or Competition Use = Restricted Use Motorcycle.

Congrats on the bike jbv. We need pictures! :D

>>---------> (x)
My flickr