MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

April 4, 2014, 11:07 a.m.

These guys don't.
I like their saw presses. I made one for my rear rack that has the bar pointed straight back, to keep the weight centered. If I don't like it I'm going to make one like theirs, that puts the saws weight of to one side a bit with the bar down.
We made the mistake once riding the quads a ways out on frozen snow on a ride, only to break through on the way back after the crust had softened. What a nightmare that was. Check the vid, you would swear they had tracks on their bikes.
http://www.pnwds.com/t2114-01-25-14-oso-snow

Chainsmoker 8)

April 7, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

Well the wife and I just got back from the Stumperjumper desert 100. Wow what an experience. After a 25-30 yr break from racing it sure was cool to give it a try again.

It's certainly a bucket list item for an avid motorcyclist. They had an adventure class for dual sports and good on those guys for getting out there on such big bikes. I think they only had to do one loop(50 miles) but it would still be challenging.

I'm not sure how many people showed up but they felt this may have been their biggest event ever and I think they usually get 6-700 racers showing up.

Canadian(actually BC) riders for the most part kicked ass(wish I was part of that group,lol) and dominated the podium in most classes.

top three women were from BC, as were the top 3 open cc riders. Second and third overall were BC boys.

After a terrible start it was pretty fun passing possibly 2-300 riders in the first 15 minutes. Thankfully my second lap was better than my first and I managed to do ok. I finished in 4:45 which would be my longest ride ever without stopping. It was the wife's first race and she did awesome. She really enjoyed it and loved being tested for that long. I think 3:40 for the single loop.

On the Saturday that have multiple poker runs including one for dual sports.

I'm sure glad I don't live in Odessa though. We are so lucky to have the riding that we do so close to home. While it was a great riding area it would get a little boring if that's what you had to ride every time.

April 7, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxb_GohjwyQ[HTML_REMOVED]feature=share[HTML_REMOVED]list=UUI-iLJ9Z16dh_6X4_ogqdmA

April 7, 2014, 6:34 p.m.

Nice job .. I rode the dual sport poker run as usual. one lap of ironman, and 130km of gravel and private trails..
Took an older guy (74!) back to where he last raced 32 years ago!! He had a ball!

Worst dust for years :)

Tip - If you get there late, or don't want to be in the 1000+ RV experience..Camp at Pacific Lakeview BLM.
Beautiful free campsites, with no one ever there (it's also mid-dual sport loop). Just a 10 min drive to the Race.

April 7, 2014, 6:40 p.m.

It was my first time there and was told that it was the worst dust they've had.

You camp out for the weekend?

April 7, 2014, 6:45 p.m.

yup, got there mid Friday, and left after the second wave on Sunday.
Went back up to Tonasket, and rode some mud :)

April 7, 2014, 7:52 p.m.

That looks amazing, did you use tire mousse or anything like that? Stock fuel tank?

April 7, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

For me or Darklord?

I used reg tubes(non-heavy duty) and ran 15 PSI front and rear. There was some pretty bad rocky sections and I must say I hit my fair share of them, lol. I have a ktm 200 with a stock tank and I was pretty impressed at to how far the bike could go. I did fuel after the first lap, but it really wasn't all that thirsty. At a rough estimate I can get about 75 miles on my tank(10L). My wife on the other hand had to carry 5l in her back pack and ran a 7L tank on her 105 and she only had to do 50 miles.

April 7, 2014, 8:43 p.m.

That ? Was for you bryan, those small bore bikes sure are thirsty, my sons rm85 was the same.

April 7, 2014, 8:53 p.m.

These guys don't.
I like their saw presses. I made one for my rear rack that has the bar pointed straight back, to keep the weight centered. If I don't like it I'm going to make one like theirs, that puts the saws weight of to one side a bit with the bar down.
We made the mistake once riding the quads a ways out on frozen snow on a ride, only to break through on the way back after the crust had softened. What a nightmare that was. Check the vid, you would swear they had tracks on their bikes.
http://www.pnwds.com/t2114-01-25-14-oso-snow

cool adventure but if you think that is even in the ball park of a snomoto, then ya need to try one…that is a lot different than bottomless pow up to handlebars and slaying through the trees and climbing things that even on dirt would be tough…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

April 8, 2014, 8:08 a.m.

Looks like a good time Matt and Bryan. I may eventually get good enough to try something like that.

I am on my week off right now and it rocks! Sunday I rode my trials bike at eagle in the morning and squamish in the afternoon. Now it needs to be worked on, and will be out of commission for the rest of the week.

Yesterday, I went for a little goon ride out to stave to check on the condition of the snowline. 700m is where I could get to on the 690. I was also surprised that I actually got stopped by the CO's and got checked for insurance……During the week no less! If you are going to ride around on fireroads close to town, remember to get goon insurance kiddies.

I am planning on hitting vedder on the kdx later this week if anyone wants join me.

April 8, 2014, 8:31 a.m.

Could be interested in vedder. Keep me posted.

As to the stumperjumper 100, you'd do great. Anybody who rides Mcnutt or vedder would find most of the tougher sections pretty easy. Tough part was trying to go fast through them,lol.

It was pretty awesome that the last rider through at the race was some 77 yr old guy. It was his 18th year doing the event. He says he's hoping to keep doing it till he was 80. He was likely the true winner of the day. I think he was out there for about 7 hours.

An old friend from way back in the day who is now 67(had not seen him since the last time I did a race), was riding after having 2 heart attacks. With roughly 50% heart function, it's pretty cool that he's out there not only riding but do a big event like this.

Another side note. My dad figures the last time he did this race he would have been roughly my age(46).

April 8, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Today is a rest day/go to bob's and get parts for my trials bike. After that I don't really have a plan.

We will be able to get to about 700m before there is snow. I am guessing that it is probably crawling up 2-5m a day. I think the big melt is about 2-3 weeks away.

Having the skills to do a race, and having the skills to getting scheduled time off of work to do it are 2 different things. One day I hope to be proficient in both.

April 8, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

ill be taking the new berg out this week in the valley somewhere. Im with two beginners but it will be good to figure out the new bike and shake of some rust. Hit me up if you want mellow spring theme. Any where from Thursday on….

WTF, Over?

April 8, 2014, 7:09 p.m.

Yesterday, I went for a little goon ride out to stave to check on the condition of the snowline. 700m is where I could get to on the 690. I was also surprised that I actually got stopped by the CO's and got checked for insurance……During the week no less! If you are going to ride around on fireroads close to town, remember to get goon insurance kiddies.

I am planning on hitting vedder on the kdx later this week if anyone wants join me.

I went out that way last week, a little past Stave. Lots of new logging roads in behind Steelhead. Looking east to Miracle valley (Sylvester road) looks like new powerline construction heads up a valley east towards Norish creek as seen in pic. May have to go check it out.

Looking forward to getting back to Vedder this Saturday. Last time there a few weeks back didn't end well after my water pump seal let go. Anyone's welcome to join, but….we ride slow.

Chainsmoker 8)