MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

April 2, 2014, 5:14 p.m.

When I was buying the 690, the money came out of my new sled fund. I really had a hard time deciding between the 690 and the 500. The prices are almost the same. I flipped my decision every day. In the end the maintence schedule, and The urge to do some touring, made me go a bit more to the street side and get the 690.

My reasoning was that I love my kdx, and if I wanted to dirtbike, I would just ride that………This was before my stupid friends started talking about getting a timbersled and bigger dirtbike.

I don't regret getting the 690, so I think I may have to look for a good deal on a fuel injected kx450 if I were to go the timbersled route. I think the 690 may be a bit of a handful for doing anything but hill climbs. I don't want to have to work significantly harder than my friends to have the same amount of fun. A little bit, yes, but not alot.

Vietnam looks like fun, but I am super keen to go explore what BC has to offer. I now have the fuel range to get into some serious trouble.:)

April 2, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

Another thumbs up for long distance dualsport trips. This summer will be the 7th or 8th year year my brothers and I have gotten together for a 2+ week trip.

Mica creek last year:

Mara Mountain Lookout last year:

Now the Timbersled thing keeps popping up. I really have to give one a try. I'm very tempted…

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

April 2, 2014, 8:43 p.m.

Get a kit and try it on your 690 first before getting a KX or YZ 450. Well, my take away after spending a good amount of time on the snowbike is if you're out around 10 days a year on the snow, it is a good alternative than having 2 toys.

Unless all your buddies ride snowbike, kinda hard to give up the sled since you'll be riding solo. You just ride different terrain with the snowbike.

April 2, 2014, 9:55 p.m.

Hey any kamloops guys have any intel on the snow around there?
also any good camping spots clear?
Meeting a friend there to buy a bike Saturday morning and camping and riding for the weekend.
Thanks!

April 3, 2014, 8:21 a.m.

I think the 690/timbersled would be pretty sweet actually. more power is a good thing, I had the 450 pinned WOT more than I would like if it was my own machine. so you give up some tight tree maneuverability and you get more power.

April 3, 2014, 8:57 a.m.

I think the 690/timbersled would be pretty sweet actually. more power is a good thing, I had the 450 pinned WOT more than I would like if it was my own machine. so you give up some tight tree maneuverability and you get more power.

shift up a gear,lol?

Curious as to how that works. Is the gearing on the track optimised for a certain gear on the tranny? Do you find yourself running through the gears or do you just get going and settle into one?

Rekluse would be an advantage?

April 3, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

Your pretty much in 3rd or second gear most of the time. bike I rented had a rekluse but I think a manual clutch would be fine.

I only had it pinned on big climbs, if you shifted up you would be in to tall a gear and bog down. really the trick is to swtichback up since these things sidehill so well, still we managed to get them stuck on bigger climbs.

one eye opener was that you really need fresh snow, they are sketchy on the trail and in packed out conditions. I would think that an icy approach trail (like brohm can be) would be pretty nasty

April 3, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

also anyone want to ride Ioco or eagle tomorrow around 1130?

April 3, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

Rode the new toy home from Langley yesterday.

April 3, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

So many different types of motorized bicycles to have…so little money
I'd need more of these than mtbs to satisfy all the different types of riding I'd like to try.

Chainsmoker 8)

April 3, 2014, 11:07 a.m.

I met a guy who had 27 bikes. dude has bikes stashed on three different continents.

no motos all touring road and dual sports but still impressive. guy is retired now and basically rides motorcycles all the time

April 3, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

woot, I got a trials bike. my first ride had me sitting on the fence as to it being "the" woods bike. It took more effort to get around exterminator on eagle than what it took on the big bike. that was probably from too much beer and not enough exercise over winter too! yesterday convinced me that its a great woods bike for tech trails. anti clockwise was the more challenging direction on that trail but the trials bike has made it about equal now for me. are the ioco trails anything like this one?

April 3, 2014, 1:42 p.m.

100kms of spiderweb trails. it dosnt flow like exterminator does untill you really have an idea on how your plan to link the trails up. there is often an intersection every 400 meters…. choose your own adventure. lots of hard gnarly stuff as well

April 3, 2014, 8:05 p.m.

I have found ioco to be the place where 40 year olds and up go play follow the leader

April 3, 2014, 10:02 p.m.

Hey any kamloops guys have any intel on the snow around there?
also any good camping spots clear?
Meeting a friend there to buy a bike Saturday morning and camping and riding for the weekend.
Thanks!

Only Batchelor and the Barnhartvale pits are open right now. If you haven't been, the Barnhartvale pits offer good early season trails, but its a small area. Like 2 hours and your ridden all the trails. Still good for a weekend.