MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

March 16, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

I know a few people who have ridden there but I think all just went to Moto tracks.

March 16, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

They like to call it OHV down there, and control access a lot more than here.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/ohv.html

http://www.ohvguide.com

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/ohv/?recid=26225[HTML_REMOVED]actid=93

That's all I got.

March 18, 2014, 2:02 p.m.

I've been thinking more and more of buying a dual sport. I don't want to spend a tonne. I don't want to work on it a lot. I'm okay with reasonable off road performance, as it would most likely be lots of logging road with some trails thrown in. Any reason not to buy a CRF250L?

March 18, 2014, 3:55 p.m.

can't see why not.

March 18, 2014, 4:07 p.m.

I've been thinking more and more of buying a dual sport. I don't want to spend a tonne. I don't want to work on it a lot. I'm okay with reasonable off road performance, as it would most likely be lots of logging road with some trails thrown in. Any reason not to buy a CRF250L?

They are a tank. Same weight if not a little heavier than a DRZ400. A lot heavier (20+lbs) than the WR250R. Worse suspension than the DRZ and WRR also. If you are puttering down logging roads only it would be adequate. For any trail riding the DRZ or WRR are a better choice.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

March 18, 2014, 5:03 p.m.

klx 351

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/4379136213.html

Chainsmoker 8)

March 18, 2014, 5:43 p.m.

I've heard that the crf 250L's clutch isn't up to the task of offroad riding.

I would look at either a wr 250r or a klx 250s. Both are good bikes.

Or you could go with the tried and true drz400s.

Dual sporting is a blast. I say go for it.

March 19, 2014, 10:34 a.m.

DRZ400
All you need!
..cheap to buy, pennies to run/fix
plays well enough on trails, logging roads, and asphalt.
So easy to sell, as there's always a huge demand for a plated 400.

(wr250r has a great reputation, but is $$$$)

March 19, 2014, 10:48 a.m.

klx 351

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/4379136213.html

That looks like a great bike.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

That looks like a great bike.

The bike has been great after modifications were done. It hasn't been ridden since last summer, just fired up every couple weeks. I had a decision to make when I put the 351 in a couple years ago. 351 or bigger bike. Ended up with a bigger bike anyway :stupid:. The new owner will benefit as I only expect to get a fraction of my "investment" back. Almost having second thoughts about selling though with the issues I've had with my 2007 450 exc. I think the exc is sorted now. For someone who suffers from hand and arm issues the flexx bars and steering damper have been great. I wouldn't be able to ride without the bars.

DSBC Spring noobie ride this weekend.
You don't need a plate for the a or b routes just fsr insurance
http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?173-March-23-2014-Spring-Nubie-Ride

Chainsmoker 8)

March 19, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

For someone who suffers from hand and arm issues the flexx bars and steering damper have been great. I wouldn't be able to ride without the bars.

Nice EXC, and I like the klx as well.

My 690 is vibrates like crazy. I have put in anti-vibe bar inserts to help out, which it does a bit. They don't hold my handguards very well, and ironically, I think they may vibrate right out of my bars on a long highway ride.

Do you feel that the flexx bars are worth the price they ask?

Ditto on the scott damper and kit. Do you feel that it is necessary to have one of these on a dual sport?

I don't know the price of the damper kit for the exc, but on my 690, If I was to put a damper and flexx bars on, I would be over $1000 poorer. I don't mind throwing down, if it is going to make my general riding experience better, but that would also pay for a lot of beer and pepperoni. Which would also make my general riding experience better. It is all relative.

I want to do the noobie ride. Unfortunately, there aren't enough days in the week to keep ahead of the game at work. The weekend must be sacrificed. At this rate I will still be a noob next year. Maybe I will try then. Have a good ride.

March 19, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

I know Bryon Enns has the 690 and also suffers from wrist issues. He has the set-up Burke ryder has but it is on his YZ250,not sure if he does on his 690. Anyhow, I don't think Bryon posts on the board any more. Let me know if you want more intel.

I want to get a steering damper myself but just can't come up with the cash to part with for one. Everyone seems to rave about them….sadly I also want the Ohlins 2.1 which is a tad more than the Scotts.

March 19, 2014, 5:52 p.m.

Nice EXC, and I like the klx as well.

My 690 is vibrates like crazy. I have put in anti-vibe bar inserts to help out, which it does a bit. They don't hold my handguards very well, and ironically, I think they may vibrate right out of my bars on a long highway ride.

Do you feel that the flexx bars are worth the price they ask?

Ditto on the scott damper and kit. Do you feel that it is necessary to have one of these on a dual sport?

I don't know the price of the damper kit for the exc, but on my 690, If I was to put a damper and flexx bars on, I would be over $1000 poorer. I don't mind throwing down, if it is going to make my general riding experience better, but that would also pay for a lot of beer and pepperoni. Which would also make my general riding experience better. It is all relative.

I want to do the noobie ride. Unfortunately, there aren't enough days in the week to keep ahead of the game at work. The weekend must be sacrificed. At this rate I will still be a noob next year. Maybe I will try then. Have a good ride.

The plan was to keep the klx with the flexx bars that I had on it and put the damper on the exc that I had picked up and keep them both for different type rides. My bad hands would not let me ride the exc without the flexx bars. So the flexx bars went on the exc with the damper and the klx is for sale.

To me the flexx bars are priceless as a few bad endos on the mtb years back have left me with sore hands and arm pump. Tried riding without them and cant.

I'm not sure the damper is as important to me, although I am sure between to two, some of the close calls I have had at speed would have ended differently if I didn't have them.

Plan now is to keep the exc now that I have it sorted and get a 690 or klr or something down the road, but….plans can change :dizzy:

I'm working out of town this weekend so no nubie ride for me either.

Chainsmoker 8)

March 19, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

I want to get a steering damper myself but just can't come up with the cash to part with for one. Everyone seems to rave about them….sadly I also want the Ohlins 2.1 which is a tad more than the Scotts.

So what do you think I am missing out on, by never having a damper?

When riding the kdx, I never once thought that my ride could have been made better with a steering damper.

Do you think if I had one that I would be able to keep up to you?

March 19, 2014, 6:17 p.m.

It depends on your bike and suspension set up. The scotts on my YZ250 is amazing, but I'm trying a 450 this year and with the suspension work and different geometry it feels much more planted at speed.