MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

May 30, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

Ned - I bought that DRZy and rode it back to Tonasket to wait for the 72hr export delay to expire.
It was in really good condition..brand new plastics ready to fit etc. Came with spare forks, exhaust, and boxes of stuff he'd taking off it to lighten it :)
Lower than my old XR400, tons of jam.
KLR sold today, so that's 2 out..and one in..

June 1, 2012, 9:19 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/britishcolumbia/story/2012/06/01/bc-eaten-by-bear-identified.html

For Jack and Finn from the Svenataur

June 3, 2012, 6:26 p.m.

Thanks for the info on the KTM guys, in the end the 2Stroke wasnt the right fit for me. Sold it this week to superstoked 15 yr old's dad who made his kid's summer.
Then just finished bringing a mint 2007 DRZ250 up from southern Washington. First time importing a bike from the states it was pretty easy actually. After purchase price, taxes, fees and expenses getting it up here I still put a couple grand left over from the KTM sale for upgrades to the little thumper. Liking the lower cost of gently used bikes in the U.S.
Here she be:

June 3, 2012, 7:16 p.m.

Thanks for the info on the KTM guys, in the end the 2Stroke wasnt the right fit for me. Sold it this week to superstoked 15 yr old's dad who made his kid's summer.
Then just finished bringing a mint 2007 DRZ250 up from southern Washington. First time importing a bike from the states it was pretty easy actually. After purchase price, taxes, fees and expenses getting it up here I still put a couple grand left over from the KTM sale for upgrades to the little thumper. Liking the lower cost of gently used bikes in the U.S.
Here she be:

Nice! Hardly a new school race bike, but that model is a sleeper. They are little tractors and super reliable. I always liked the DRZ's suspension for woods riding once you get them set up. I would ride that all day long. The 250 is getting to be a rare version now as well. A lot lighte than the 400.
Does it have e-start?

WTF, Over?

June 3, 2012, 11:33 p.m.

Yup e-start was mandatory.. Two of the guys I've been riding with brought these up from the states and have been riding them over the past year. Awesome trail bikes yer right. Just got to open this one up, and tune the suspension and it'll be good to go

June 4, 2012, 7:48 a.m.

there seems to be a lot more bikes with really how hours on them in the states.

how tough was it to import?

June 4, 2012, 8:45 a.m.

there seems to be a lot more bikes with really how hours on them in the states.
how tough was it to import?

Actually quite easy but I was nervous pulling into customs. I went down with a buddy who has brought quite a few up, a couple he's kept, and flipped the others
He schooled me on how to do it

Coles notes, it went like this:
Find bike and get hold of seller. Negotiate deal upfront. Send an email confirming price, when and where yer gonna meet and get a confirmation email back.
Go buy it and bring to border and declare what yer doing to booth guy. Bring sellers Title, a signed bill of sale with model, serial number etc, a copy of the ad, into customs when he sends you and counter customs lady will ask you how the deal worked and fill out the paperwork. Then pay the cashier 5% tax on it and walkout.
They will give you a RIV form you have to bring to the RIV office or go online to pay a 213.00 import fee. Then its asked that you go to a Canadian Tire to get trhe thing inspected(I havent done this part yet). And yer done.

I wouldnt have done the purchase if the bike didnt have a clear Title in the guys name. Customs lady paid alot of attention to it.

June 4, 2012, 9:13 a.m.

Questions

1.Dont you have to "export it" with US Customs and wait 72 hours

2.do you need a closed course sticker on it if it does not need to be plated.

3. Tax is only 5%? I would think it was HST

June 4, 2012, 10:27 a.m.

Questions

1.Dont you have to "export it" with US Customs and wait 72 hours

2.do you need a closed course sticker on it if it does not need to be plated.

3. Tax is only 5%? I would think it was HST

Export it?
Think this is relevant if you want to bring the bike back into the states at one point. Canada customs didnt ask me anything about that.

Closed course sticker?
My buddy said these can be obtained online. I would imagine I will get that from the RIV folk, or at inspection at Canadian Tire once I do the RIV paperwork. Will let you know.

Tax?
Yup was charged 5%. figure that is GST only.

June 4, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

I suspect if you wanted to license it in Canada, it'll need the RIV export dealio.

June 4, 2012, 11:39 a.m.

US Stuff FTW

You should have exported it.. Could make it's sale tricky if you get someone who checks your paperwork (sold two US [HTML_REMOVED] CA bikes this week, and both buyers checked for the US title stamp it). It's a US legal requirement for anything that runs under it's own power (ie trailers exempt)

You only need a "closed course" sticker if you are trying to avoid the RIV process. Must be from the manufacturer also. Hard to get if they haven't got one already (most don't)

You'll need a recall letter to clear RIV..contact Suzuki USA..they're polite and fast..unlike Kawasaki.

As you're not registering it, you don't pay the balance of the HST. (autoplan picks that up on plating)

Once inspected (2 mins at CT) , you'll have a rare thing in BC…a documented dirtbike :)

Just bought my plated DRZ400 across the border today..pics to follow..

June 4, 2012, 5:53 p.m.

^^yup did some checking on the US export thing and found its important if the bike is ever going to go back down to the US, it may not make it over the border if theres a sticky US border officer. Im going to call US customs tomorrow to see if I can do it retro,if not then the bike best stay in Canada. I did pay the RIV fee online and will fax in the Form 1 and Recall letter to the RIV folks to clear the bike for inspection. Inspection appt set for Canadian Tire Friday morning. Overall all a pretty sooth first timer import, couple lessons learned for the next one.

June 5, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

new plastics fitted, cleaned, almost ready to register.

TT was on this weekend…did anyone watch?
(NW200 was the week before and had some amazing racing)

uknova.com has some good torrentz…

June 5, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

torque monster, with the power bomb. Sweeeet

WTF, Over?

June 6, 2012, 6:09 a.m.

yup, it's been converted to a DRZ-E, with cams, carb, gasket etc etc.
Quite a difference to a stock DRZ-S I rode.