MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

May 29, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

Trying to figure out which one to get. Wont be buying brand new, trying to find a 2006 to 2010 that hasn't been shit kicked. I want electric start as well. There's alot of CRF's available is there a reason for this? My riding buddies are on Yamahas so recommend them but the Hondas seem to be alot of bike for the money.
Or is there something else out there I should look at.
Any input would be appreciated.

Oh, and I've got a near mint '09 KTM 150SX 2 stroke(too wired for me) and a excellent condition '84 XR350 (not wired enough for me) I'm selling to finance the buy if you know anyone who's looking for a decent used bike.

I can't comment on the Honda, but I will say I've been liking my YZ250F in the woods. Good friend has the WR and has little to no bad things to say about it.

I would really recommend hunting in the states for a bike(if you dont find anything,nothing lost but a bit of internet surfing time). I paid $2200 for my 2006 yz250f, brought it back and sold it for $3400. I ended up buying another 2006 YZ250F that a friend of a friend owned that was super mint with a known history for basicly the same price as I sold the old one for. It was pretty easy bringing the bike across the border.

How much for the KTM?

May 29, 2012, 3:45 p.m.

sven - can't you use a dollar store sieve like i mentioned a while back? I think Pete made one also?
Story in the paper mentioned that they had a crackdown on Bear over the long weekend. Apparently fines were handed out for spark arrestors and lack of day passes.

?? We rode there both Saturday and Sunday, even stopped by the pits to say hi to the hosts, to see what the story was on day passes and/or memberships, never saw a soul. No noise checks, not a lot of riders around either. Love that area, hope they are able to sustain it - I'm happy to chip in a few bucks in return for how much fun we have there every time we are in the neighborhood.

On my old RMZ I just picked up the spark arrestor insert only for some aftermarket unit. The frame was stupid expensive but the cone-shaped insert was only about $20, and a gear clamp and bit of baling wire held it securely, passed tech inspection at Bear Creek last year. Later I threw on a dbDawg to get the noise down and the integrated spark arrestor, maybe $70. Win-win, quieter, legal, no noticable impact on power. Running it on my TE310 now.

May 29, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

kendaf - http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/153214425.html
"In the area of the Bear Creek Off-Highway Vehicle recreation site, a number of tickets were given out for dirt bikes without spark arresters and warnings issued for no facility passes, along with failure to have a helmet.""

May 29, 2012, 3:53 p.m.

Dave, what about spark arrestors for 2 strokes? My KDX doesn't have one, but when Terry inspected us at Bear, he didn't even bother looking for one, although he did berate one of our crew for noise.

Do you know if a 2 stroke must have a spark arrestor screen? FMF exhaust.

Yes you need one and fmf is the best way to go and will liven that kdx up a bit as well…they will be more stickler as the hot weather arrives, it was already hot this past weekend as we were back there…you want it in the pipe as a screen will just hold in your spew oil…not very expensive.

And yes you need a trail pass there now, they are collecting. It is a whooping 10.00 per day. I bought the membership as I support what they are doing which was 50.00 for me and 30.00 extra for kim, whooping 80.00 and already spent 8 days there anyway.

Conservation is there and will ticket those with noisy bikes, no spark arrestor and no insurance…this will move to province wide and BCORMA is working hard we don't need plates, but rather stickers and fighting for more money for motorized users so don't be cheap buy a bcorma pass and support your fun!

all money collected for bear creek stays right there…..no money goes to political shit, all back into trails, there are always guys who avoid it but seriously $10.00 to ride sweet single track all day is cheap! They also have a lot more tougher stuff now as they move into Bear Creek….we had some awesome rides! Especially on trails they have finished but not marked…thanks for the Beta Terry!!!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 29, 2012, 3:59 p.m.

Trying to figure out which one to get. Wont be buying brand new, trying to find a 2006 to 2010 that hasn't been shit kicked. I want electric start as well. There's alot of CRF's available is there a reason for this? My riding buddies are on Yamahas so recommend them but the Hondas seem to be alot of bike for the money.
Or is there something else out there I should look at.
Any input would be appreciated.

Oh, and I've got a near mint '09 KTM 150SX 2 stroke(too wired for me) and a excellent condition '84 XR350 (not wired enough for me) I'm selling to finance the buy if you know anyone who's looking for a decent used bike.

too wired? do u mean it has too much hit? instead of selling it why dont u tame it down or change the gearing? that would make an awesome beginners trail bike.

May 29, 2012, 4:07 p.m.

Heckler, I have an fmf pipe with a spark arrestor, if you want to trade for your stocker. I have 2 fmf turbinecore2's and I don't need them both.

From what I understand, There are alot of crf's for sale for a reason. Appartantly the material that the valves are made of is too soft, and they mushroom out after awhile. Hondas are the reason 4-strokes got a bad rap.

May 29, 2012, 5:53 p.m.

Anyone have any info on Lytton opening?
no snow anywhere to be seen on the 97C yesterday, so it must be close?

May 29, 2012, 5:57 p.m.

too wired? do u mean it has too much hit? instead of selling it why dont u tame it down or change the gearing? that would make an awesome beginners trail bike.

I actually like the hit, got pretty comfortable staying in the powerband up in Davis Lake area this past weekend. It's wonderful on the double track but when things get tight and hilly in order to keep it from bogging (I'm 230 lbs) I've got to come at the technical stuff a little faster then I'd like. I've heard KTM weights the flywheel on the XC version, does that help with this?

testy , how much for the 350 , and is it road legal ?

How much for the KTM?

I'll pm you guys

And thanks guys for the input on the Hondas, I suspected there was an issue cause there is a gazziion of them for sale right now. Probably best to get a Yami state side if I can sell one or both of my bikes. Would love a KTM 4stroke but theyre too much money.

May 29, 2012, 7:27 p.m.

I don't think you could go wrong with a wrf 250. They are nice bikes.

May 29, 2012, 7:37 p.m.

I've got a 2007 Crf250X for my wife and it's great. Just don't ride it like a race bike. If you want a race bike buy to R.

May 29, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

Yamaha makes the most reliable modern 4 stroke dirt bike engines period. The Honda's can be a little cheaper to rebuild. You can't go wrong with the Yamaha.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

May 29, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

yeah, looks like my powercore2 doesn't have an arrestor, but my heavy old stock pipe does.

May 29, 2012, 9:18 p.m.

I actually like the hit, got pretty comfortable staying in the powerband up in Davis Lake area this past weekend. It's wonderful on the double track but when things get tight and hilly in order to keep it from bogging (I'm 230 lbs) I've got to come at the technical stuff a little faster then I'd like. I've heard KTM weights the flywheel on the XC version, does that help with this?

I'll pm you guys

And thanks guys for the input on the Hondas, I suspected there was an issue cause there is a gazziion of them for sale right now. Probably best to get a Yami state side if I can sell one or both of my bikes. Would love a KTM 4stroke but theyre too much money.

Yup FWW will help, steel clutch basket is good too but not cheap. bigger main jet on the carb to keep it more boggy helped my 2st track bike tracktor real nice. Also, gearing. i caution too low, as it will make first really wild and the front wheel too quick to come up. Depends how you like it. Some moto bike trannies are hard to dial the gearing and dont have wide ratios like the enduro set ups. 2 teeth bigger on the rear should help make 2nd and third more usable, but not make 1st just for tearing off the back fender. Let me know if you dont get any bites on either bike.

WTF, Over?

May 29, 2012, 9:54 p.m.

Pretty sure they checked my bike for spark arrestor when i was there.

I really like my FMF Q Stealth. It was 84db when they did a sound check at the cat scratch.

May 29, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

Agree with schoenrock on the KTM 150. Cant you just follow the setup on the XC version?