MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

May 9, 2012, 9:57 p.m.

I owned a YZ426 for a few years and never had a problem with overheating?? Rode the hell out of it on single track in 35-40C heat here in the Loops

Loops single track is like the 401, as in Ontario…just saying.

May 9, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

I've managed to get out for a couple quick sessions at Ioco in an attempt to get a better feel for this trials bike stuff. I'm enjoying being a newb at something again! I'm finding, however, that I'm getting crazy forearm pump very quickly, a problem I've never really had on the mountain bike. I'm keeping a finger on the clutch and front brake pretty much all the time, that's one thing I know that's different. Also finding the grips to be thinner than my preference on the mountain bike. Trying to avoid death grip and keeping loose, but still finding the forearms shot after 40 minutes of tooling around in the little areas around the parking lot.

Tips/thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, can change, etc? Or is this "normal" and I'm just gonna have to keep at it to build up some different index finger strength or whatever?

One thing i always remind myself is keeping the weight on the foot pegs. That's the only way for me to be concious of not doing death grip.

May 9, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

One thing i always remind myself is keeping the weight on the foot pegs. That's the only way for me to be concious of not doing death grip.

thats good as well as grasping tank with your knees

May 9, 2012, 11:33 p.m.

I've managed to get out for a couple quick sessions at Ioco in an attempt to get a better feel for this trials bike stuff. I'm enjoying being a newb at something again! I'm finding, however, that I'm getting crazy forearm pump very quickly, a problem I've never really had on the mountain bike. I'm keeping a finger on the clutch and front brake pretty much all the time, that's one thing I know that's different. Also finding the grips to be thinner than my preference on the mountain bike. Trying to avoid death grip and keeping loose, but still finding the forearms shot after 40 minutes of tooling around in the little areas around the parking lot.

Tips/thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, can change, etc? Or is this "normal" and I'm just gonna have to keep at it to build up some different index finger strength or whatever?

Relax and lean forward, unfortunately grasping the tank on these bikes is impossible(these are trials bikes) but the problem is throttle control and getting in the back seat. just be patient Mark a few more rides and you'll start to feel it…glad you are out enjoying it! Anytime you wanna hit squamish let me know..dave

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 10, 2012, 4:41 a.m.

a few pics from this past winter, rode into work a few times in near blizzard conditions (only 2.5 km trip) and had lots of fun learning to drift the bike (husaberg fe 450).

especially the second pic, was a great few hours playing in the lot across from work. This was the next day after my session… Started out with with a good 4-5" of fresh powder with the first major snowfall. The only vehicle in the lot, was the big truck @ the back… was using it as a focus point to try to drift around :)

many lowsides and a few near highsides after a letting off the gas a bit quickly to stop an out of control slide :) Great thing about these enduro bikes… no real damage at all!!

And the all important post-ride beer! A fine local icelandic brew!

here's how the bike looks now though… Getting ready for summer supermoto duty!

Last year I was suffering major brake fade @ the local cart track with the stock dirt front brake setup… Turns out one of the local shops is blowing out all their old husaberg stuff so I managed to score a monster 6 piston Beringer setup for even cheaper than online! It's a very rare thing to find any cheap here in iceland especially moto related!

May 10, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

….Also finding the grips to be thinner than my preference on the mountain bike. Trying to avoid death grip and keeping loose, but still finding the forearms shot after 40 minutes of tooling around in the little areas around the parking lot.

I use stickier and thicker grips than most trials riders. The ProTaper pillowtops work well for me. The standard skinny grips make my fingers go numb.
Also, try riding in one gear higher so the engine is lugging a bit more. This reduces the high strung jerky motion created by the big flywheel and lower gears.

Glad you're getting some time on the pegs.

May 10, 2012, 7:51 a.m.

Jeez, you guys write too much :-P

Grom lacrosse season is almost done…time to pull the Beta out of the shed. :rubs hands together hard enough to start a fire:

Ride More Bitch Less

May 10, 2012, 8:18 a.m.

Jeffk95z it looks like you have two copper crush washers on the outside of the Banjo bolt instead of one on each side of the banjo that could be a problem.

May 11, 2012, 4:23 a.m.

Loops single track is like the 401, as in Ontario…just saying.

I actually only rode that 426 in the loops for a year. I know what single track is ;)

I rode that poor bike all over BC and Alberta for a number of years with no heating or starting problems… Great bike… albeit slightly underpowered by todays big bore standards. First gear was really tall on it and the chassis always felt sketchy…like most Yammies. I probably should have set it up better for the single track… An autoclutch and a steering stabilizer would have worked well on it…. as well as some suspension work…

Luckily the local "tour guides" rarely leave the over-ridden areas around here, so the the good single track stays relatively hidden from the lower mainland bike tourists. Problem is you have to ride an hour to get to it now-a-days…

What are your first hand impressions of the YZ426's?

May 14, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

:woot::woot::woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 14, 2012, 9:09 p.m.

For those shorter riders, newer riders or women riders looking to get in to moto enduro, if your looking for the ultimate bike check out the line of Beta Trials Bikes with the long range tank and seat! This add on will turn a trials bike into the ultimate woods weapon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VleZ0WA_s1U

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 14, 2012, 9:24 p.m.

dibs for when you sell that girls bike at a huge discount Dave.

May 14, 2012, 9:35 p.m.

I actually only rode that 426 in the loops for a year. I know what single track is ;)
What are your first hand impressions of the YZ426's?

Only rode them when i was giving their new owners a break, when they where tired of stalling out and kicking their brains out i would let them ride my Bushcushion…300exc

Not even interested in the new 450's unless it was for track, dunes or desert.

2smoke forever!:heart:

May 14, 2012, 10:54 p.m.

dibs for when you sell that girls bike at a huge discount Dave.

You should seriously consider this for her, these bikes can go more places, she will ride at a way higher level and slay the boys…on it…encourages standing up way better than an enduro bike and picking good lines so it will make her a better rider, which is more fun. Plus you'll use it to come trials riding with us…

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 15, 2012, 6:40 a.m.

Dave, Let me know when you're riding Kamloops I'd like to check out that Beta MX bike…. and of course meet up for a ride.