MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

May 8, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

its a pretty easy trail not really a black. gets a bit grown in later in the year so now is a good time to rip it up

May 8, 2012, 5:45 p.m.

I'm curious how that new little bridge with the pinner rungs held out.

Bridges are in perfect shape, we just placed some cedar ontop of that bridge as it had flat 1x4 which tend to get slippery…all good during the race.!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 8, 2012, 8:18 p.m.

passing lanes hahaha….

grow some elbows and use newbs as traction grrrrr

this aint tree huggers anonymous its bush moto …survival of the most gnarly/cunning every animal for himself kind a race.

Experience and endurance will cut a new trail up over and around a slower rider…if not…wrong sport you be in.(or wrong class) Following is for followers…force a pass, thats racing.
NEWBS…if you get punted its because you didnt pull over for the faster guy…

(…hint if he is running into the back of you and screaming curse words while revving engine…he is faster, let him pass)

i got my ankle broke when someone used it for traction….didnt happen ever again.

sorry if i come across so awesome…i dont mean too.

May 8, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

The awesome meter is at the Wayne level right now, don't stop here, keep it flowing :lol:

Ride More Bitch Less

May 8, 2012, 9:29 p.m.

passing lanes hahaha….

grow some elbows and use newbs as traction grrrrr

this aint tree huggers anonymous its bush moto …survival of the most gnarly/cunning every animal for himself kind a race.

Experience and endurance will cut a new trail up over and around a slower rider…if not…wrong sport you be in.(or wrong class) Following is for followers…force a pass, thats racing.
NEWBS…if you get punted its because you didnt pull over for the faster guy…

(…hint if he is running into the back of you and screaming curse words while revving engine…he is faster, let him pass)

i got my ankle broke when someone used it for traction….didnt happen ever again.

sorry if i come across so awesome…i dont mean too.

Looking for the "like" button….

May 9, 2012, 1:38 a.m.

Riding a loop and racing it are two different things.

Riding a loop and racing it are two different things.

This is a true statement. Race pace induces stress, and immense fatigue. That is where the mistakes are made. I can tell you that as some one who has had a lot of exposure to racing, but never raced, i am looking forward to my first sportsman class race. But i only get one sportsman race, then i have to pick a class and make sure i am prepaired for what is laid out on the course. I better be fit and skilled enough to bang bars, or i have no business out there.
Fully expecting that it will be hard, even with the shorter loop length, and ideally course that is quite different.
In the past when the courses were made more flowy, the speed increased in every class from Vet am to Masters. The caveat to that, was a lot more high speed crashes, and injuries. Maybe it was just a coincidence i dont know?
Now im not against more rider ship, buffer trails, and totally appreciate all the work the club does. I hope every one goes out to have a great experience. But i also believe that not every one should race, just because there is a race to enter. The terrain in BC dictates that we have some of the best riders in enduro racing. That was spawned from the races being very hard. It is no surprise that two guys on the top ten of the enduro cross series both grew up racing each other as kids in Kamloops. Or that the Graffhunders are all top level racers, even the ones that not every one knows. The tough races and hard terrain honed them to elite level competitors.
Also, a race puts stress on a course. No way around it. All those riders, Masters or intermediates do a lot of riding in one weekend.And because they are RACING, they are not really thinking about what that pace and speed does to the course. A bit naive to think so. Not to mention all the practice laps. So i would doubt that the clubs that host races would expect that they will not have some work to do both before, and after hosting a race.
The racing community will probably always differ on how tech courses can be. Enduro racing is fu$%ing hard. It takes immense skill, and fantastic fitness and preparation. My wish would be that every family had a garage full of bikes and enjoyed the sport to its fullest. Not every one who rides should consider racing though.

WTF, Over?

May 9, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

anybody up for afterwork mcnutt loops? gonna start heading out every wed [HTML_REMOVED] thur after work rain or shine. everyone i ride with on the weekends is not available during the week so anybody and everybody is welcome…..solo laps are getting dangerous and with the cypress accident fresh in my mind paranoia is huge.

May 9, 2012, 9:11 a.m.

anybody up for afterwork mcnutt loops? gonna start heading out every wed [HTML_REMOVED] thur after work rain or shine. everyone i ride with on the weekends is not available during the week so anybody and everybody is welcome…..solo laps are getting dangerous and with the cypress accident fresh in my mind paranoia is huge.

im in if its reasonably dry, Mcnutt on the trials bike when its super soggy sucks.

May 9, 2012, 9:31 a.m.

im in if its reasonably dry, Mcnutt on the trials bike when its super soggy sucks.

schweet, u in for today?

May 9, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

schweet, u in for today?

riding ioco today.

must be still pretty wet in there.

May 9, 2012, 4:49 p.m.

riding ioco today.

must be still pretty wet in there.

Britannia is mint!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6hrzh5euU

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 9, 2012, 5:07 p.m.

This is a true statement. Race pace induces stress, and immense fatigue. That is where the mistakes are made. I can tell you that as some one who has had a lot of exposure to racing, but never raced, i am looking forward to my first sportsman class race. But i only get one sportsman race, then i have to pick a class and make sure i am prepaired for what is laid out on the course. I better be fit and skilled enough to bang bars, or i have no business out there.
Fully expecting that it will be hard, even with the shorter loop length, and ideally course that is quite different.
In the past when the courses were made more flowy, the speed increased in every class from Vet am to Masters. The caveat to that, was a lot more high speed crashes, and injuries. Maybe it was just a coincidence i dont know?
Now im not against more rider ship, buffer trails, and totally appreciate all the work the club does. I hope every one goes out to have a great experience. But i also believe that not every one should race, just because there is a race to enter. The terrain in BC dictates that we have some of the best riders in enduro racing. That was spawned from the races being very hard. It is no surprise that two guys on the top ten of the enduro cross series both grew up racing each other as kids in Kamloops. Or that the Graffhunders are all top level racers, even the ones that not every one knows. The tough races and hard terrain honed them to elite level competitors.
Also, a race puts stress on a course. No way around it. All those riders, Masters or intermediates do a lot of riding in one weekend.And because they are RACING, they are not really thinking about what that pace and speed does to the course. A bit naive to think so. Not to mention all the practice laps. So i would doubt that the clubs that host races would expect that they will not have some work to do both before, and after hosting a race.
The racing community will probably always differ on how tech courses can be. Enduro racing is fu$%ing hard. It takes immense skill, and fantastic fitness and preparation. My wish would be that every family had a garage full of bikes and enjoyed the sport to its fullest. Not every one who rides should consider racing though.

It is true that we have more heaven on earth trails here, I respectfully disagree with not everyone should race. Regardless of the sport racing teaches you how to go hard like nothing else will! No interval or set up senerio will put you there, only racing.

Racing is a great way to improve your skills and aim for a goal be it win or just to compete and i think many sports have forgotten about the 80% who are out there to have fun and compete and know they will never win! To me these are the amazing ones. They have full time jobs, families, bills, grass to be cut and christmas lights to be put up, they could spend their hard earned cash on anything and really it should probably be on those new gutters but no, they work extra hard to buy a dirt bike ( or any other sporting gear) and go out when they can and cram it all in.

The best of the sport are fun to watch and this weekend we had a few of those guys, they don't bang people, they ease around them with amazing grace, speed and skill, it is usually the 15% below them that are the ones destroying the trails riding with balls over efficiency. they also yell, push, ride over people and lets not forget it is the 80% that allow the race to happen.

Without growth in the cat scratch, why put it on, I personally know how many hours Steve and others put in, why would they do it for 50 people? Not worth it.

Making a flowy course allows the majority to come out and enjoy, if you gotta wait at a few places, then you should of jammed from the start. even James Stuart has to dodge traffic.

I once was asked by a up and comer moto guy about sponsorship, he told me how good he was and I asked him one question, "what was he doing to make the sport better for more new people to get involved" he could not answer the question. The reason tiger woods makes 80 million is cause he involves and brings in 400 million in advertising to one sponsor…if more people do a sport the money and support grows at the top level.

But the real reason to make courses that are easier is that it bring more people out and more people get involved and everyone benefits. I hope to help Steve more next year and build ride arounds that are longer so newer riders can benefit and also we will see how many people start to use the easy line regardless of their skills. Just like bobsled for mtbing, it was build as an easy trail for new riders, but who is riding it? people love to feel like they are killing it and easy flowy trails allow this feeling and in my opinion that is cool!

If you want gnarl, there are a lot of races in the world that will wish you never entered them, I have done a lot of them! :) Hope to see more people out at the cat scratch next year! It was great to see APT, Ryan, Shoenrock and Corey rippin and hangin i out! Hope you enjoyed it enough to come back, Apt mybe next year we will put in some secret trials lines..

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 9, 2012, 5:25 p.m.

^^^^
I see your take on it Dave, i honestly do.
With unlimited resources and trail building hours, the dual course format could be adhered to. We both know that is a bit idealistic though. Unfortunately.
i agree that the race motif makes you push harder, and longer than you would ever choose to. Lots of people sparring, not every one gets in the ring to take a match. Its all good.
My take on it is, if i enter the race im not gonna whine if i get tired, loop out, take 8 pokes at a hill, and maybe not even finish. Because i know how hard it will be. Im not a great rider, and take my share of my beatings riding with skilled people. BUT i accept that. Again that is just my take. i dont always ride the gnarl, because it is still hard for me. i do like to push my self from time to time though.

WTF, Over?

May 9, 2012, 9:16 p.m.

I've managed to get out for a couple quick sessions at Ioco in an attempt to get a better feel for this trials bike stuff. I'm enjoying being a newb at something again! I'm finding, however, that I'm getting crazy forearm pump very quickly, a problem I've never really had on the mountain bike. I'm keeping a finger on the clutch and front brake pretty much all the time, that's one thing I know that's different. Also finding the grips to be thinner than my preference on the mountain bike. Trying to avoid death grip and keeping loose, but still finding the forearms shot after 40 minutes of tooling around in the little areas around the parking lot.

Tips/thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, can change, etc? Or is this "normal" and I'm just gonna have to keep at it to build up some different index finger strength or whatever?

May 9, 2012, 9:16 p.m.

I just got a new to me bike. 2001 yz426F. So much better than my 1980 Dr 400. Not used to pulling the front wheel up in 3rd gear.

congrats on a big step up….

but be ready for over heating and hard hot starts….

I owned a YZ426 for a few years and never had a problem with overheating?? Rode the hell out of it on single track in 35-40C heat here in the Loops.

Started first kick when hot… just have to use the hot start and find the proper starting ritual. If you start kicking like a madman and don't know what position your engine is in you'll screw yourself…

Sidenote: Just got back from a week in Vegas… Supercorss freakin' rocked. Pretty cool seeing all the big names in the pits.