MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

Oct. 14, 2011, 5:14 p.m.

dont get a 4stroke mx bike. way to much maintenance.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 14, 2011, 5:37 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I'm talking to Darklord about his XR250 actually as well, so we'll see where that goes.

My only issue with the 2-strokes is the noise and exhaust. I like to get out into the woods and (sort of) feel like I'm in nature, maybe it's just the mountain biker in me that is still holding on a little haha. I run 2-stroke chain saws and brush saws all day at work and get tired of the noise and exhaust after 8hrs a day.

Plateable would be nice, but really riding a motorcycle on the highway scares the crap out of me and I have a pickup to haul a bike around anyways. There's a ton of backroads exploring that would keep me busy for days and days without needing to hit the highway at all so I should be okay. Maybe after learning to ride a little more I'd get a better bike, but for now I just want a stepping stone to get me into riding that won't break the bank, budget is definately a concern.

Oct. 14, 2011, 5:39 p.m.

the 4stroke noise carries farther than 2 stroke.
mine doesnt smoke. but my buddies running the same mix I do smokes a bit.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 14, 2011, 6:09 p.m.

if the mountain biker in you wants to ride a motorbike, get a 2 stroke. APT has a stealth Q silencer on his bike, and you can hardly hear that thing behind you. I can hear my buddy's yz250f from 2 miles away.

Oct. 14, 2011, 6:34 p.m.

you get this thing running yet? I need to ride this weekend. Anyone else?

Yeah, it is running great, but I haven't had it out nearly as much as I would like. We're selling our place downtown and moving over to North Van, so between looking for a new place and trying to get rid of our current place, most weekends have been tied up. Open house again this weekend, so no riding for me yet again. I hope to get out for a ride next weekend if anyone is interested. I'll post up next week to see.

Oct. 14, 2011, 6:41 p.m.

hope sounds good. fun trails. Sat? Sun?

i might be interesting in riding on Sunday. If you get something going and are ok with another person tagging along….let me know.

Oct. 14, 2011, 6:58 p.m.

if the mountain biker in you wants to ride a motorbike, get a 2 stroke. APT has a stealth Q silencer on his bike, and you can hardly hear that thing behind you. I can hear my buddy's yz250f from 2 miles away.

Compared to a bike like an XR then yes a 2 stroke will be loud. But compared to a modern high revving 4 stroke there is no comparison. My loud 2 stroke is at 92dbs with a Q Stealth and when I'm out of sight you can't hear me. Most 4 strokes pump out at 96-100db+, then on top of that is how long the sound carries.

2 strokes ride more closely to the way a mountain bike does, if that's what you're looking for.

Here's a decent fsr/light trail duty 4 stroke: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/mcd/2650504741.html

Oct. 14, 2011, 8:23 p.m.

hope sounds good. fun trails. Sat? Sun?

I wouldn't mind getting out on the big bike on Sunday. Hope might be a bit far for me though. Need to be back in town around 430ish.

Oct. 14, 2011, 11:21 p.m.

Sunday Nicklemine with Rat and the kids. I'm in. Anyone welcome - we'll probably break it up into a couple rides around the loop.

I think Rat can be there around 11?

Oct. 14, 2011, 11:23 p.m.

I can't believe you're not telling him to get a "little bike".

yeah, a properly mufflered 2T is far quieter than a powerful 4T. It's just a different sound - like a Ferrari and a Mac Truck.

Oct. 15, 2011, 7:39 a.m.

Have you BC guys seen any plated WR450's riding around the streets? How strict is BC with its dirt bike plating procedure.

And another vote for 2 strokes with a proper spark arrestor/quiet muffler. The ring ding sound of the power pulses up close seems loud but the noise just does not carry.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Oct. 15, 2011, 7:54 a.m.

There is a plated WR450 that runs around my area and damn does it look to be fun. I've heard that only a few years ago, it was pretty easy to sneak a bike past ICBC and get it insured, but it is now either really hard or next to impossible. I've heard that if you import a bike from the US into BC, that the serial numbers won't let ICBC know what model it is and that it can be passed.

I think my next bike will be this one, due to it being fully insurable right off of the showroom floor. So love the idea of just suiting up at the house and braap out of the driveway.

Oct. 15, 2011, 8:32 a.m.

I can't believe you're not telling him to get a "little bike".

I think to truly get the most from a little bike, you need to spend time on a big bike first. Throttle and clutch control are important skills to learn.

Next season, it will be, "Hey Julian, you need to get yourself a trials bike"

My next bike will be something plateable in the 450 range. I miss goon riding.

Oct. 15, 2011, 9:19 a.m.

Next season, it will be, "Hey Julian, you need to get yourself a trials bike"

…and I'll probably buy one haha. MTB'ing has been pretty stale for the past couple seasons for me, I really only ride for lack of anything else to do. After 15 years in MTB'ing it's time to explore new sports - I really realized this last season when I got back into snowboarding; there's so much more out there than cycling and I might as well enjoy it all since we live a great place to take advantage in this province.

Oct. 15, 2011, 12:29 p.m.

There is a plated WR450 that runs around my area and damn does it look to be fun. I've heard that only a few years ago, it was pretty easy to sneak a bike past ICBC and get it insured, but it is now either really hard or next to impossible. I've heard that if you import a bike from the US into BC, that the serial numbers won't let ICBC know what model it is and that it can be passed.

Hmmm, did a little more research and it looks like there could some trouble if a guy does get in an accident on the street and insurance finds out its a off road only bike. I was hoping to find a cheaper way to get a more off road capable dual sport than my DR650. KTM EXC's are worth a mint in my area. Actually I think they are worth a mint every where.

I think my next bike will be this one, due to it being fully insurable right off of the showroom floor. So love the idea of just suiting up at the house and braap out of the driveway.

The link doesn't show up but I think its a pic of an 09 TE310. I would love to have a new TE310. Its a new engine and frame from the 09. Dual sports the way of the future.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/