MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

March 21, 2011, 8:06 p.m.

so, you're going to get the expensive ramp with the step in it now, right?! :idea:

Nope. Looking at getting a pair of folding aluminum ramps - decent width ones. Need to double as quad ramps.

March 21, 2011, 9 p.m.

Nope. Looking at getting a pair of folding aluminum ramps - decent width ones. Need to double as quad ramps.

The douche is strong with this one

March 21, 2011, 9:07 p.m.

you should see his new amps and subwoofers!

March 21, 2011, 9:22 p.m.

working on bottle service. just need to figure out the math.

March 22, 2011, 7:43 a.m.

For a less agressive rider the S12 is a nice tire for rooty rocky sections…especially in the wet. The g/f runs them with great results. I'm not a fan of any diamond pattern on an MX tire but the sharp (almost pin-point) front side lugs make up for it IMO. Downside is those points chunk out. I would run them in very wet conditions like a weekend trip to the coast without hesitation. Kamloops wet conditions are few and far between, and agressive rider will tear them apart in dry conditions…

Had terrible luck with front pinch flats running M12s for some reason..liked the traction/wear ratio tho..

I personally like the Bridgestone M404/403 combo with a 120 on the back.. lot's of people hate them….each to their own..

Funny you mention staying away from Maxxis IT's on Yamis. I agree…they pushed like crazy on my 426 yet are great on my Katoom set at 18 degree steering head angle.

The S12's other knobs are fine for the most part, and like I said in super soft, deep mud and clay its a good tire. But the problem is its too 'on and off' for our variable conditions. One day its great, the next day it feels like you're on marbles. The rear is even worse. Every time someone recommends those two tires to me I laugh, tell them to go run some intermediates, and get back to me. S12's are meant for soft conditions, you'd be better off running a hard conditions tire on rocks.

See those dumb little diamond shaped intermediate knobs? The pointed end wears out within a matter of a few days and then the tire washes out like crazy when you start to lean it over. Its one of those designs where some dumb engineer liked the looks of it, but in practical use, it is such a bad idea. I've been told that MX tires are tested a lot before they're released, but tires like the S12 and IT are clearly missing on some major points.

At least with the Goldentyre copy, they've squared off that pointed section of the knob, making the edge parallel to the way the tire rolls and thus making it bite into the ground better.

I've heard good things about those Bridgestones… those are KTM's stock tires right?

The front Maxxis IT has too many perpendicular knobs running across it and that makes it push. It works well when you cut one of those center knobs out. The IT is pure death on wet roots and stuff like that. Yamahas don't generally turn as well as most other bikes, so that combo isn't that great. You can counteract it by bike geometry changes (raising forks, moving rear wheel back) and steering more with the back wheel. That's the trade off of being very stable in a straight line I guess.

March 22, 2011, 3:47 p.m.

Enns is a BMW lover isn't he?

I wonder if he will be getting this to haul around his moto….lol.

March 22, 2011, 7:49 p.m.

The S12's other knobs are fine for the most part, and like I said in super soft, deep mud and clay its a good tire. But the problem is its too 'on and off' for our variable conditions. One day its great, the next day it feels like you're on marbles. The rear is even worse. Every time someone recommends those two tires to me I laugh, tell them to go run some intermediates, and get back to me. S12's are meant for soft conditions, you'd be better off running a hard conditions tire on rocks.

See those dumb little diamond shaped intermediate knobs? The pointed end wears out within a matter of a few days and then the tire washes out like crazy when you start to lean it over. Its one of those designs where some dumb engineer liked the looks of it, but in practical use, it is such a bad idea. I've been told that MX tires are tested a lot before they're released, but tires like the S12 and IT are clearly missing on some major points.

At least with the Goldentyre copy, they've squared off that pointed section of the knob, making the edge parallel to the way the tire rolls and thus making it bite into the ground better.

I've heard good things about those Bridgestones… those are KTM's stock tires right?

The front Maxxis IT has too many perpendicular knobs running across it and that makes it push. It works well when you cut one of those center knobs out. The IT is pure death on wet roots and stuff like that. Yamahas don't generally turn as well as most other bikes, so that combo isn't that great. You can counteract it by bike geometry changes (raising forks, moving rear wheel back) and steering more with the back wheel. That's the trade off of being very stable in a straight line I guess.

Correction… The g/f is running Michelin S12 XC's on her 250. They are classing the XC as a "soft/intermediate" tire rather than a "soft" like the S12….Micheliny says the XC's last 25% longer than the S12. For a less aggressive rider they stick to anything. They lasted her 2 months of steady fall riding so I can't ask for much more. I'll be throwing another set on her bike on Friday for the spring conditions.

Can't remember what tires came OEM on my KTM… they were shit and entire lugs came off on the first ride. The second ride I put 404/403's on it and liked them.

Personally I find a a couple styles of tires that I prefer and stick with them… lately I swap between Maxxis Desert IT's and 404/403's.

March 22, 2011, 8:27 p.m.

Correction… The g/f is running Michelin S12 XC's on her 250. They are classing the XC as a "soft/intermediate" tire rather than a "soft" like the S12….Micheliny says the XC's last 25% longer than the S12. For a less aggressive rider they stick to anything. They lasted her 2 months of steady fall riding so I can't ask for much more. I'll be throwing another set on her bike on Friday for the spring conditions.

Can't remember what tires came OEM on my KTM… they were shit and entire lugs came off on the first ride. The second ride I put 404/403's on it and liked them.

Personally I find a a couple styles of tires that I prefer and stick with them… lately I swap between Maxxis Desert IT's and 404/403's.

Yea that's what I had - the XC's. I'd hate to see what the regular S12's are like! :lol:

I love the rear IT. Probably my favourite Kamloops summertime tire (so far). I rode at Scuitto one day with dual S12 XC's and couldn't make any climbs (really, it was embarrassing), tires were skating all over the place. Go back the next day on the same trail with an M12 (F) and Maxxis IT (R) and I felt like I was cheating, like my bike was AWD or had glue on the knobs.

March 23, 2011, 2:33 p.m.

Looking for a piece of 3/16" thick angle iron. 1.5"x1.5", 5' long.

Any good (cheap) local sources out there?

March 23, 2011, 2:36 p.m.

Looking for a piece of 3/16" thick angle iron. 1.5"x1.5", 5' long.

Any good (cheap) local sources out there?

no but I have some 1.5 inch steel square tubing you can have

March 23, 2011, 2:53 p.m.

hmm…….maybe, thanks for the offer. If I had a welder, I'd say sure, otherwise it's a bit more cutting than I was hoping for.

Looking to make a tie-down bar for the truck. Something like this below. Very simple solution.

March 23, 2011, 3:20 p.m.

Depending on your tie downs you might be able to use tubing and drilling large holes.

I can't see the angle costing much though.have you tried metal mart?

Posted via Mobile Device

March 23, 2011, 3:32 p.m.

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/msc-storefinder.aspx

Burnaby 5150A Still Creek Avenue (604) 293-1231 [email protected]

March 23, 2011, 3:33 p.m.

craigslist scrap metal?

March 23, 2011, 4:11 p.m.

That's a great site, never heard of metal mart before. More expensive than Pincess Auto though.

Thought about using a metal bed frame. Nothing on Craigslist yet, but I'll likely be able to find one within a week :) If that doesn't come through, I'll look at other options.