MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

March 21, 2011, 5:06 p.m.

Jaysus that's cheap. I almost want to buy one just 'cause. I also didn't see anything like that Princess Auto.

March 21, 2011, 5:08 p.m.

that carrier from princess looks almost identical to my old one. sweet deal fo sho!

March 21, 2011, 5:10 p.m.

Just call princess auto and give them the part # and they'll tell you which store has one in stock.

March 21, 2011, 5:15 p.m.

that sale price is web only

March 21, 2011, 5:27 p.m.

I actually went to Princess this morning to look for one, but didn't see it. Thanks for the link…..you're pretty happy with yours I take it?

Yeah, I'm happy with mine. It is surprisingly solid for the price. I was a bit skeptical given how cheap it was compared to others I saw online, but figured I'd try it and it has worked great.

March 21, 2011, 5:42 p.m.

I like my boss rack. Super solid.(Its been hit 3 times now with mimimal damage) Last summer my bike lived on the back of my jeep, while I was working in Kelowna for 3 months. I can come back after a ride, hurt and tired and still get my bike loaded up no problems. The way it tightens to the hitch is awsome. After I put airlift bags in my springs, I don't even know my bike is back there.

It was pricey, but money well spent IMO. Pretty much the same as what I spent on my NSR 4-bike. Boss does make a 2 bike rack, but I think that is alot of weight to be carried out that far. A 3 bike trailer, like heckler's would be a better idea.

March 21, 2011, 5:50 p.m.

Thanks for the reply K-R but the reality is that I have a truck and this carrier will only be used a handful of times throughout the year by the wife. Sounds like a great carrier, but the price just puts it out of range. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us, but I think the PA one will likely be the way to go.

March 21, 2011, 6:07 p.m.

PM ChunkyMonkey. He just bought a pickemup truck and might have a carrier for sale.

Haven't been on here in a while, good timing….sort of.

Moto rack [HTML_REMOVED] NSR4 both sold. Just truck stuff now :)

My rack was similar to the PA rack, but the "ladder" part of the carrier was aluminum. It's a pretty heavy piece of kit, so that part being lighter was noticable. I think the PA rack is all steel?

It's a great little rack though for the money. Easy to load with the ramp, easy to unload with or without the ramp. I carried the ramp in the car because it was a quicker than bolting back on the rack. Plus, I'd usually forget until the bike is secured, and then the tie-downs were in the way. Not a biggie as there's loads of room in the car when all you can take is one bike.

Dave's rack is definitely the way to go long term - easier to load/unload, better tie-in points, lights are an option.

Like Dave, I also did the airbag upgrade. Can't say enough about this mod, best thing you can to do your vehicle if using this rack - or even 4 people and a 4-bike MTB rack. HUGE difference. Wouldn't even consider the 2 moto hitch rack. As Dave said (this is getting repetitive) that's just too much weight that far out.

March 21, 2011, 6:24 p.m.

Oh and a front tire? recommendations and great pricing?

Wayne won me over with his $30 rear tire recommendation….which at this point is awesome.

So far, I managed to keep this sport fairly cheap and I'm hoping to keep it that way for as long as possible. Ebay has been coming up big, time and time again.

March 21, 2011, 6:42 p.m.

I'm sold on the michelin m12 for around here.

If I had a truck, I probably wouldn't consider a rack. There was a time when I considered getting a truck, and getting rid of my jeep. It would be way more practical for my lifestyle, and I can get my boss to give me a truck allowance. Truth it, I just love my jeep too much, so the rack is the only choice for me.

March 21, 2011, 6:49 p.m.

I have a truck, the wife has a jeep. I'd like to think she will only ride if i'm around, but this will not be the case. My truck will be a little too high for her to safely or confidently load the bike by herself. The rack gives her the option to go riding when ever she wants, without having to worry about loading the bike.

March 21, 2011, 7:02 p.m.

Oh and a front tire? recommendations and great pricing?

Wayne won me over with his $30 rear tire recommendation….which at this point is awesome.

So far, I managed to keep this sport fairly cheap and I'm hoping to keep it that way for as long as possible. Ebay has been coming up big, time and time again.

Most soft-intermediate tires should be fine. If anyone down there recommends a soft conditions tire for the amount of rock you guys are riding, laugh at them and then run away. You guys are in intermediate/hard conditions for the most part. I rode dual MX51's when I rode there last month and I had insanely good traction. Even soft Vedder, grip was never an issue.

Kamloops is more soft/intermediate country FWIW.

I like the MX51 so far, but that's for good conditions. Not so hot in softer, greasy mud (no surprise there). The M12 is ok, not great. It doesn't last very long. Avoid the S12 like it has the plague, unless you only ride in super soft tire deep clay exclusively. If you encounter anything hard that (f[HTML_REMOVED]r) is the worst set of tires known to man. Don't buy a Maxxis IT front unless you ride a Zuke. Yamahas push in turns as it is, it doesn't need a front tire that encourages it.

I've heard really good things about Goldentyre. They have a front that resembles the S12, but fixes the problem area of that tire (the intermediate 'diamond' shaped knob).

Go smaller up front if you can, it helps track and pick lines, but flats easier.

March 21, 2011, 7:27 p.m.

Just let her use the truck. What's the worst that can happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-5qgbVU1c4

March 21, 2011, 7:34 p.m.

so, you're going to get the expensive ramp with the step in it now, right?! :idea:

March 21, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

Most soft-intermediate tires should be fine. If anyone down there recommends a soft conditions tire for the amount of rock you guys are riding, laugh at them and then run away. You guys are in intermediate/hard conditions for the most part. I rode dual MX51's when I rode there last month and I had insanely good traction. Even soft Vedder, grip was never an issue.

Kamloops is more soft/intermediate country FWIW.

I like the MX51 so far, but that's for good conditions. Not so hot in softer, greasy mud (no surprise there). The M12 is ok, not great. It doesn't last very long. Avoid the S12 like it has the plague, unless you only ride in super soft tire deep clay exclusively. If you encounter anything hard that (f[HTML_REMOVED]r) is the worst set of tires known to man. Don't buy a Maxxis IT front unless you ride a Zuke. Yamahas push in turns as it is, it doesn't need a front tire that encourages it.

I've heard really good things about Goldentyre. They have a front that resembles the S12, but fixes the problem area of that tire (the intermediate 'diamond' shaped knob).

Go smaller up front if you can, it helps track and pick lines, but flats easier.

For a less agressive rider the S12 is a nice tire for rooty rocky sections…especially in the wet. The g/f runs them with great results. I'm not a fan of any diamond pattern on an MX tire but the sharp (almost pin-point) front side lugs make up for it IMO. Downside is those points chunk out. I would run them in very wet conditions like a weekend trip to the coast without hesitation. Kamloops wet conditions are few and far between, and agressive rider will tear them apart in dry conditions…

Had terrible luck with front pinch flats running M12s for some reason..liked the traction/wear ratio tho..

I personally like the Bridgestone M404/403 combo with a 120 on the back.. lot's of people hate them….each to their own..

Funny you mention staying away from Maxxis IT's on Yamis. I agree…they pushed like crazy on my 426 yet are great on my Katoom set at 18 degree steering head angle.

:lol:

I finally got my g/f riding her bike up the ramp last year. She unloads pretty decently now without my help. My ramp is doubled up 2X6s tho…