MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

April 26, 2009, 1:21 p.m.

How about a 2001 CR250, Basically brand new, been in the guys garage ever since. $2500.

94 KX250, Mint condition stored inside, comes with an FMF pipe, $1750.. I offered $1500, waiting for response.

Edit:

Definitely thinking about that 94 KX250, He says he will take $1600, looks mint. Buying something that cheap leaves me a lot of room to spend on getting the suspension setup, buy some boots and still have some left over for parts if it needs anything. Did some research, they were pretty much the same up to about 98 and the 94-98's were some of the best and most powerful 250's Kawasaki made(apparently).

April 26, 2009, 2:08 p.m.

Personally I'd go with the Honda. Parts are reasonable, usually higher resale, and the build quality is second to none.

The Newer Yamaha sounds good to, it is a matter of the colour you like, and the dollars your willing to pay as newer bikes are really all pretty good.

Wayne is very correct with regards to the extra "hidden" costs with older bikes so be prepared to replace linkage bearings, headset bearings, fork seals, etc.

April 26, 2009, 2:24 p.m.

Suspension had major developments since 1994. Just cause it looks the same on the outside doesn't mean it feels the same.

April 26, 2009, 4:18 p.m.

Suspension had major developments since 1994. Just cause it looks the same on the outside doesn't mean it feels the same.

I realize, im not racing or anything though, a lot of people say the suspension is fine.

not counting out the 01 Honda yet though, could be too good of a deal to pass up if its as new as he says.

April 26, 2009, 4:46 p.m.

THe honda may be good too, im more of a fan of the rebuilt bike than with reciepts than a bike that has sat for 7-8 years. Any one who does not ride a bike for that long may have not mantained it much when they did ride. Real hard to say with out looking at it though. Check em both out if you can.

WTF, Over?

April 26, 2009, 9:11 p.m.

I wouldn't buy a '94 KX (or anything that old) unless it was going to be used as a second bike to loan out to friends.

If that CR checks out as legit, that sounds like a winner. Lots of guys say that was the best year for the CR, and I know a couple of guys with the '01. The only problem I hear with Honda 2 strokes is that the power is harder to ride than say a Yamaha. Apparently nothing down low with a huge hit - even for a 2 stroke. I don't know, some people find that to be a turn on, some people find it hard to ride especially off road.

Are you going to be riding track or trails or both? Trails, I'd say try and find a later YZ or RM. Suzuki's are generally cheaper, they handle great, and have a good power spread.

April 27, 2009, 5:28 a.m.

I have owned both a 94 KX250 and KX125. Not the most reliable bike when new and after 15 years the KX will need some work. The frame likes to crack at the foot peg mounts (a very common problem). The foot pegs themselves wear badly at the pin holes. If the clutch is jerky when released, hard to start in gear, or the bike wants to creep when in gear and the clutch is pulled in you will probaly need an new clutch basket (~$300). Also the bottom end life of these bikes are not great. And blown crank seals are common place. And the seat bolt anchors are very weak and prone to breakage. A pain because you cannot by aftermarket seats anymore (that I know of). Don't get me wrong. The KX will be great for trail riding but in the long run you probaly will not be saving a whole lot over a newer bike. Plus with the age of these KX's, there model year ended in 98 it is already getting hard to get graphics, plastic, new seats and other miscellaneous parts. Also most dealerships will not be stocking parts. If you are in the market for an older bike your best bet will be a Honda or Yamaha. The build quality is better that KX's of Suzuki's. There is also a stronger aftermarket following for the Honda's and YZ's.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

April 27, 2009, 7:16 a.m.

I have owned both a 94 KX250 and KX125. Not the most reliable bike when new and after 15 years the KX will need some work. The frame likes to crack at the foot peg mounts (a very common problem). The foot pegs themselves wear badly at the pin holes. If the clutch is jerky when released, hard to start in gear, or the bike wants to creep when in gear and the clutch is pulled in you will probaly need an new clutch basket (~$300). Also the bottom end life of these bikes are not great. And blown crank seals are common place. And the seat bolt anchors are very weak and prone to breakage. A pain because you cannot by aftermarket seats anymore (that I know of). Don't get me wrong. The KX will be great for trail riding but in the long run you probaly will not be saving a whole lot over a newer bike. Plus with the age of these KX's, there model year ended in 98 it is already getting hard to get graphics, plastic, new seats and other miscellaneous parts. Also most dealerships will not be stocking parts. If you are in the market for an older bike your best bet will be a Honda or Yamaha. The build quality is better that KX's of Suzuki's. There is also a stronger aftermarket following for the Honda's and YZ's.

thanks for the info.

July 2, 2009, 4:44 p.m.

hey wayne,

looks like im getting a 03 yz250

:D

cant ride it yet cause im broken, but what do you know about quieting these suckers down. if i loose power doing it isnt a concern of mine in fact i think it would be helpful.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 2, 2009, 5:02 p.m.

Sweet, I just bought a brand new '08 YZ250. We should date.

Making it quieter? I can almost garrantee that the muffler packing is blown out. Go buy some at your local shop (cheap stuff, like $12), and repack it. Snug, not packed too tight. Seal 'er up with hi temp silicone and re-rivet it all back together.

That should make your power more manageable and over feel better, plus make your bike less raspy.

What silencer does it have? Stock, Shorty? Other? I only ask because if its an FMF Shorty, those things are loud because of their small size.

July 2, 2009, 5:06 p.m.

it has a fmf something or other.
i might try the q stealth maybe it sounds quiet. i like quiet for my stealth operations. any experience with those?

wut do you mean by re rivet i dont have a riveter.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 2, 2009, 7:16 p.m.

Sweet, I just bought a brand new '08 YZ250. We should date.

Making it quieter? I can almost garrantee that the muffler packing is blown out. Go buy some at your local shop (cheap stuff, like $12), and repack it. Snug, not packed too tight. Seal 'er up with hi temp silicone and re-rivet it all back together.

That should make your power more manageable and over feel better, plus make your bike less raspy.

What silencer does it have? Stock, Shorty? Other? I only ask because if its an FMF Shorty, those things are loud because of their small size.

Back on a 2-Stroke eh? What does Old Man Winters think of that?!

July 2, 2009, 7:20 p.m.

omg its corey

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 2, 2009, 7:30 p.m.

omg its corey

Be careful, the moto will make you park the mountain bike for a while and lurk heavy!!! Ton of fun.

:rawr:

July 2, 2009, 7:31 p.m.

A hand riveter is like $19.99 in crappy tire and it comes with a zillion rivets. Cheaper than having the shop do it at $100 an hour.