MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:26 a.m.

I think the cops would have to know a bit about bikes to see some thing that was not obvious. 49 cc and 750 are the magic #'s with licensing and insurance. If you crammed a bored out cr80 motor into a scooter, most cops would not have a clue. If you jammed a bigger than 750 motor into a smaller chassis, it would most likely go nu-noticed. If you ever got in a wreck with either, and were under insured or licensed, then the trouble would start.

WTF, Over?

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:30 a.m.

I have to ask a stupid question to the street bike crowd. I know its a stretch but bear with me….

Let's say you bought a street legal bike, could be an XR650 or it could be an RD400 or anything in between. You get it insured for the road, but then you come across a replacement engine from a non-street legal bike that you want to stuff into the bike. Can you get away with doing this? Would the average cop recognize a CR500 engine in a dual sport bike?
:lol:

So you'd have a normally street legal chassis and components with a different power plant. Let's leave emissions controls out of this.
:devil:

I told you it was a stupid question.

i doubt anybody is going to figure it out. but if you get into some sort of accident and icbc gets wise to you being insured in the wrong class maybe they decide to void your insurance?

i guess you couold just say you bought the bike that way but who know what lengths icbc would go to so they can avois paying out on a claim?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:43 a.m.

Sweet evening trials ride and then got to try out my new magic shine light…very sweet!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

i doubt anybody is going to figure it out. but if you get into some sort of accident and icbc gets wise to you being insured in the wrong class maybe they decide to void your insurance?

i guess you couold just say you bought the bike that way but who know what lengths icbc would go to so they can avois paying out on a claim?

I thought it was anything over 400cc?

So like I said, for example, a 500cc 2 stroke engine stuffed into an XR650 chassis. I suppose you could try and get it classified as a 'ubuilt' bike.

I think what ICBC is most concerned about is whether or not there's a sticker on the head tube that says "MC" instead of "RUM". The way I see it if the chassis, tires, etc is street legal then anything else shouldn't matter. hahaha…. one can dream.

Oct. 13, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

So like I said, for example, a 500cc 2 stroke engine stuffed into an XR650 chassis. I suppose you could try and get it classified as a 'ubuilt' bike.

I think what ICBC is most concerned about is whether or not there's a sticker on the head tube that says "MC" instead of "RUM". The way I see it if the chassis, tires, etc is street legal then anything else shouldn't matter. hahaha…. one can dream.

haha, yeah that's right - i didn't fully read your entire post. i wouldn't worry about it in that case.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:12 a.m.

haha, yeah that's right - i didn't fully read your entire post. i wouldn't worry about it in that case.

Can I get a witness? Do you mind signing off on that statement? ;)

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:21 a.m.

Can I get a witness? Do you mind signing off on that statement? ;)

i thought i was wrong but it was a mistake.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 13, 2011, 5:59 p.m.

Some private insurers have 5 or 6 different cc classes for insurance. ICBC on the other hand has only 3(?).

What I'm getting at is that you may be able to "legally" sneak it by ICBC in an accident situation, but a private insurer may have issues if the cc of the engine falls in a different bracket than the bike. Will they investigate it that much…. probably not if there isn't a death in the accident.

Oct. 13, 2011, 6:55 p.m.

wayne, if it smokes anywhere near as much as mine, the fuzz will know you've stuffed a 2 stroke in and bust your ass.

go for it. you live an Kamloops anyway… :devil:

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:08 p.m.

2 strokes aren't illegal. There are still old 2 stroke street bikes on the road.

But, I doubt you could ever modify a big ol' mx smoker engine to run lights. I could be wrong though.

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:33 p.m.

wayne….come on.
http://www.procycle.us/dskits/lightcoils.htm

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:33 p.m.

2 strokes aren't illegal. There are still old 2 stroke street bikes on the road.

But, I doubt you could ever modify a big ol' mx smoker engine to run lights. I could be wrong though.

this guy does…
http://www.vancouversupermoto.com/page.php?id=35

http://www.vancouversupermoto.com/page.php?id=24

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

Some F@cking Sh!t head took my KDX 220 last night. They cut through multiple locks but there are two heavy duty u-locks that must still be attached to the frame and rear wheel. If you see this bike please let me know and report it to the Coquitlam police.

I just bought the bike two months ago and only had one ride on it before work got really busy. It has a custom, one of kind decal kit on it that is purple and green plaid with a number 10 on the side plate. It has the original purple seat, original exhaust, green handguards, brand new tires (1 fuckin ride on them), custom mounted kickstand.

Oh and- dear thief - I hope you die a horrible death you freaking weak piece of crap.

While sitting on the banks of the P

Oct. 13, 2011, 10:01 p.m.

shitty

i'll keep an eye out for it. Keep your eye on craigslist and other buy/sell sites as you never know how stupid some people can be. I know of one person who got 2 of their 3 bikes by finding them on CL.

Oct. 14, 2011, 5 a.m.

What should I look for in a used bike? I'm wanting something that is four-stroke, mostly want to ride trails in the woods, and do alot of FSR exploring - I can ride over 80km of logging roads and all kinds of old trails right out my back door. I'm an absolute beginner, I've only ridden a few trails on a motorcycle but really loved it, it felt pretty natural after riding a MTB for years.

I've ridden a few bikes before, a YZ125 which was lots of fun but I didn't really dig the 2-stroke thing, and my friends CRF230 which was easy to ride but when I tried to open it up on a trail the suspension felt like the equivalent of riding a 4" travel mountain bike on a DH trail..still fun, but not too smooth. Maybe the suspension just needs better tuning?

I want to spend at most $2000-2500 on a bike. I'm thinking something like an older XR250 might be good, maybe a DR350?

Oh great NSMB, decide my MBR future please.