Mayor Moonbeam and his idealogues.....

June 10, 2013, 9:57 p.m.

…can keep their fucking zealotry out of my kitchen!

City encourages eaters to cut out meat for a night

What's next? Directives for the bedroom????????

:rolleyes:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 10, 2013, 10:04 p.m.

Unbeknownst to me the city has a "food policy" council. Thats pretty far fetched…

Vancouver needs an enema, bad.

June 10, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

I would be upset if MY tax dollars went to this Tripe……

Hey KenN, didn't the catholic church want its members to eat fish on Fridays????

June 10, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

Just for that, I'm gonna eat double meat today. Damn left-wing hippies. Shit, if potatoes were a meat, I'd be %100 carnivore.

Thread killer

June 10, 2013, 11:02 p.m.

LOL at people freaking out about not eating meat for 1/7 days…it's not that difficult guys.
Good food is also a BC and Canadian initiative. You should read either of these; http://bcfoodsecuritygateway.ca/
http://foodsecurecanada.org/sites/foodsecurecanada.org/files/FSC-resetting2012-8half11-lowres-EN.pdf

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

June 10, 2013, 11:13 p.m.

I hope that council is volunteer based and not paid.

June 10, 2013, 11:23 p.m.

I guess it depends on your perspective. FYI I enoy meat.

"Vancouver's city council is asking local omnivores to try dropping meat from some meals, and opt for more sustainable choices instead."

You could take offense to the idea and consider it being bossed around, or maybe you could yap about all the other, more important things they should be doing.

My interpretation is that they are trying to draw attention to the fact that meat as produced today for mass consumption is UNSUSTAINABLE. It takes 16000 litres of water to produce one kilo of beef. Whats wrong with your government looking at the bigger picture and passing along some info? You'd rather they spend all their time approving more condo projects so you can bitch about how no one can afford them?

Carry on.

June 10, 2013, 11:27 p.m.

Bacon monday next week

June 11, 2013, 12:14 a.m.

or maybe you could yap about all the other, more important things they should be doing.

"over my cold dead ham" :lol:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 11, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

Considering that we (North Americans and Europeans) consume upwards of 76% of all of the goods consumed in the world, some policy, backed by facts, around reducing that so we can avoid an apocalypse, isn't that bad an idea.

There will be no bacon after the apocalypse.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 11, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

Considering that we (North Americans and Europeans) consume upwards of 76% of all of the goods consumed in the world, some policy, backed by facts, around reducing that so we can avoid an apocalypse, isn't that bad an idea.

There will be no bacon after the apocalypse.

good response.

if you take into consideration the entire cost of eating meat suggesting a day where one goes without meat is not such a bad thing.

it's odd how we all want gov't to be more responsible and help us take care of the planet but when a suggestion that is made along those lines comes along some people want to complain.

i don't necessarily agree with all city of van policies but i think the general direction of where they're going is a good thing in terms of the planets health.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 11, 2013, 6:04 p.m.

What's next…Broccoli [HTML_REMOVED] bj day instead of steak [HTML_REMOVED] bj day?

Thread killer

June 11, 2013, 6:24 p.m.

Yah I got no problem with the concept but it should be Health Canada's mandate and $ and peeps on their payroll promoting this kinda' shit falls outside city business IMO.

But if Mayor Moonbeam wants I'll have a toilet bowl cam installed so city hall can analize the content of my poo.

June 12, 2013, 5:20 p.m.

it was interesting today reading up on other news sources reporting of this "event" compared to the cbc blurb linked in the op.

first off meatless monday is actually a global initiative started by these people:

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

secondly the city announcement is just a proclamation, a public announcement encouraging people to adopt some healthier choices into their lives. it's not like it's a madate and the city won't be changing the way it does business.

overall the cbc link and the info in this thread are misleading and a good representaion of an attempt to create controversy when there isn't one to be had.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2013, 5:22 p.m.

Way more imprtant initiatives to think of before this kinda thing. What about BC government officials take back their %18 raise day? (Don't mean to crossthread)

Thread killer