Matrix owners?

Sept. 22, 2014, 11:18 a.m.

Any Toyota Matrix/Vibe owners out there?

Thinking of buying an 07-09 Matrix to replace our 99 Legacy wagon. Fuel econ will be considerably better but we'd be giving up almost 40% in cargo room (occasional camping/road trip, chucking by 50cm road bike in the back [front wheel removed]).

I am hoping to make up for that with a combination of large roof box and hidden hitch/bike carrier.

Any thoughts/advice from Matrix users? Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 22, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

06 Vibe here.

Pontiac is less expensive than Toyota, but oddly enough uses the same parts. We didn't even look at a Matrix.

Fold back flat seats are awesome for storage, bikes, etc, but the hard plastic trunk and back of the seat slides stuff around like horrible. You'll want to chuck in a carpet or sticky pads of some sort.

No mechanical issues in 7 years. I barely even had to change the brake pads (once I think?). The sunroof is starting to make a motor noise now and the A/C had to be charged up once due to lack of use. Driver's floormat is worn out now - meh…

We put on a Class 1 hitch and a 45 lb DH bike on a NSR-2 rack ended up bending the hitch - get a custom made Class 3 to fit if a hitch rack is in your plans.

Milage is good, but not spectacular. If I did it again today, I'd likely look for a smaller more efficient commuter like a Fiat 500.

Enough space in the back for 2 people to roadtrip to California, sleeping one stretched out in the back while the other drives.

Sept. 22, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

05 matrix. has had oil changes and filters and 1 new battery. ok little car. my nomad fits in the back with the seats folded down with both wheels on.

Sept. 22, 2014, 12:37 p.m.

are you sure Matrix is 40% smaller? due to height, wider space between wheel wells and slope/angle of windows, Matrix is liekly much bigger than you think

Sept. 22, 2014, 12:51 p.m.

Awesome feedback everyone, thanks.

Heckler: Point taken about Class III hitch, I will definitely look out for that.

Taprider: I'm just going by online info, 36 cu ft cargo room w/ my Legacy vs 22 cu ft for 08 Matrix.

What I'd love to know is if I can chuck my XS road bike in the back with rear seats up (front wheel off).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 22, 2014, 12:56 p.m.

What I'd love to know is if I can chuck my XS road bike in the back with rear seats up (front wheel off).

With backseats up and bike fully in the trunk, I doubt it. Maybe with both wheels off and seat lowered.

With backseats down, no problem, likely with both wheels on and seat up.

Sept. 22, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

Heckler: Point taken about Class III hitch, I will definitely look out for that.

Taprider: I'm just going by online info, 36 cu ft cargo room w/ my Legacy vs 22 cu ft for 08 Matrix.

We have a 2008 Forester, and a 2007 Vibe, and in terms of size, the rear cargo space is a little shorter on the vibe, but there's more leg room than the forester. Overall the vibe has more headroom and I would say it has the same total storage space, just in different ratio to the (slightly longer) forester. I can fit a MTB in the back without taking the wheels off.
The vibe has been awesome, handles well, not the fastest (but that's irrelevant for 99% of city driving), and it's really, really comfy.
Like Heckler, we didn't even bother looking at the Matrix, since the Vibe is identical, but a lot less money, and IMO looks better.

Sept. 22, 2014, 1:10 p.m.

I say no. I had an '04, the style hasn't changed much over the years. You really don't have a ton of cargo space until the seats are dropped.

Sept. 22, 2014, 1:59 p.m.

My ex kept the Matrix - which I had to pay for.

Therefore I hate them.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 22, 2014, 2:06 p.m.

My ex kept the Matrix - which I had to pay for.

Therefore I hate them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7c187E5BxY

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 22, 2014, 2:29 p.m.

We had a 2009 matrix, drive it to Panama from Calgary and back, really enjoyed it. It was written off in a hail storm and we ended up getting a Honda fit which I find has more useable space and is more fun to drive. The 2009 and newer matrices have slightly less useable cargo room than the older style due to the more rounded corners. I would actually Consider the new yaris over the matrix, much better use of space. Test drive all three and compare. I used a bike rack on both the matrix and the fit, but use our highlander for most biking now, and its great too.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Sept. 22, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

Driving a 2013 Yaris now (rental), good fuel economy and a fine choice for a compact but the Legacy feels like a limo in comparison.

Now that the Legacy is back on the road I have some test driving to do.

Not that many 2007 and older Vibes out there it seems.

Sept. 22, 2014, 3:36 p.m.

Not that many 2007 and older Vibes out there it seems.

because we're holding on to them.

Sept. 22, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

Pontiac is less expensive than Toyota, but oddly enough uses the same parts. We didn't even look at a Matrix.

That's because apart from the body and other slight mechanical differences, it's essentially the same car. It was re-badged and sold in Japan as the Toyota Voltz. It was a joint venture thing between GM and Toyota (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Vibe).

My brother's got an 07 Matrix XR. He loves it. We rented a couple of them some years back for a road trip to Boyne Falls, MI; a 10 hr drive from Toronto. From what I remember, it was a blast to drive.

Sept. 22, 2014, 9:49 p.m.

Something to consider about the vibe. Depending on the year, the stock roof rack is quite useless. You cannot get much between the bars and the roof making most racking systems incompatible. And they sit fairly far back on the car. (anecdote of a friends vibe, no idea what year).

And a sizable amount people who I encounter with the matrix use them like a truck. They are very useful little cars.

They are also corolla's right. Which means replacement parts are a dime a dozen.

Definitely need a bike rack for the vibe or matrix. It just makes riding easier, you won't have to drag the bike out and build the bike… etc.

Beow Beow….. be be boew boew. boh boh. beow beow…… repeat:rave: