mass debate

Dec. 22, 2018, 3:50 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Is this a debate? Seems more like a survey..or a poll. 

Am I supposed to tell people they shouldn't choose to be flying animals for...reasons?

Choose a faction and fight!

I choose Water. The one true reincarnation choice.

Has anyone read Sapiens? They make the stipulation that homosapien's ability to believe in a common myth (gods, church, state, The United Water Reincarnators) is what separated us from other species and allowed us to prevail.

Really though, how the hell would anything be better than water?! Sky, pfft.

Have not read it but its easy to see today that belief systems do allow a certain amount of victory for lack of a better word. ie: not many of us will blow ourselves up for something promised in the next life but technically there is a lot of "them" that see that as the prevailent attitude to take.

My question about the options is are we limited to this planet?

Dec. 22, 2018, 7:42 p.m.

Sapiens was a great read. I got the impression though that it was language, not belief that allowed us to become so dominant.

Dec. 22, 2018, 8:27 p.m.

Ah, you have read it! 🍻

We're talking about the same chapter and both correct I believe. "Peugeot" section is what I was referring to, just after language section.

Dec. 22, 2018, 9:58 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i thought it was all about meat. finding, pursuing, and eating meat.

Articulate language made the getting of meat easier, made group hunting more efficient. It also made it easier to trade meat for other meat, or eat someone else's meat today for the promise of not yet existing future meat.

Dec. 23, 2018, 8:30 a.m.

Articulate language made the getting of meat easier, made group hunting more efficient. It also made it easier to trade meat for other meat, or eat someone else's meat today for the promise of not yet existing future meat.

Wow, 50,000 years ago they already had a futures market?

Dec. 23, 2018, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: switch

syncro just likes that the thread title sounds like one of his favourite pastimes...

the calluses on my hands aren't from weightlifting

Dec. 23, 2018, 9:55 a.m.

Is this a debate? Seems more like a survey..or a poll. 

Am I supposed to tell people they shouldn't choose to be flying animals for...reasons?

depends - you can debate the merits of each choice , what you think is better and why. chup brought up a good point that picking flight doesn't guarantee coming back as a cool bird, you could just be a fruit fly

Dec. 24, 2018, 9:24 a.m.

Or you could come back as a vulture & have to dine on rotten meat.

Dec. 24, 2018, 9:50 a.m.

When you compare us to  other animals we tend to have very strong co-operation capacities and weaker physical ones. The resulting social structures, language skills etc have coincided with our major jumps in our success as a species.

Dec. 24, 2018, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

"Peugeot" 

Had one of those for a short time. Piece 'o shit.