Macs...

March 3, 2006, 11:09 p.m.

Why is a mac laptop so much superior?

I'll stick to my asus laptop :love:

March 3, 2006, 11:20 p.m.

Things like integrated bluetooth, optical audio in and out, lighted keyboard, built in webcam, UNIX based operating system, included iMovie and iPhoto….

Plus 5.6 lbs for a 15" laptop is really good

…I don't have one (or any laptop), this is just what caught my eye. I will be in the market in time for the next revision of these Macbooks.

March 3, 2006, 11:21 p.m.

To bad they haven't realized that the world is already ruled.

What kind of computers do the Illuminati use?

So many freaks, so few circuses.

March 4, 2006, 12:12 a.m.

if i needed a laptop id rather either use mac, or linux. but as for desktop the pc is still the swiss army knife. ocasinaly colapsing and cutting you.

March 4, 2006, 12:14 a.m.

Why is a mac laptop so much superior?

I'll stick to my asus laptop :love:

its not so much that there laptops are better, but there OS is well suited for laptops. not much need for gaming or a wide variety of software. just a good stable platform with a browser, photoshop, and a good word processing ap.

March 4, 2006, 12:20 a.m.

bwahahahaha

I think the general consensus is macs rule becuase of the operating system, they have other nice design features but the os is number one.

it is the most friendly pleasant thing to use. intuitive creative, good looking and easy.

they also come loaded with solid software, and really have the digital hub thing down.

March 4, 2006, 2:45 a.m.

They're just 100% more intuitive to use. Tons of little shit that sounds unimportant when you just list one or two items but when you actually USE it makes it unpleasant to return to a PC.
Desktop or Laptop, a Mac is the way to go IMHO.
As long as you're not a hardcore gamer or anything…

March 4, 2006, 5:47 a.m.

Come on guys desktop or laptop apple OWNS both of them, softwares better more intuative control system and general design, less viruses the software is more cleanly written and theres less chance of crashing one. Unless you cant afford one or play a lot of online gaming there really is no sensible reason (i may be wrong) not to go mac. They may be more expensive but its easily worth the cost.

March 4, 2006, 7:03 a.m.

agreed. i know my powerbook g4 isn't the fastest thing available right now, but for the stuff i do on a daily basis it seems snappier than any PC i've ever used, and the interface is WAY more intuitive.

March 4, 2006, 8:46 a.m.

i just have to gloat that my macbook pro (upon which i'm typing) is teh new hotness and a half. lighted keyboard with good feel, built in isight, ridiculously bright screen for a laptop (as bright as my ASD 17" lcd!), snappy! ™, etc.

good software for mac users:

quicksilver (quicksilver.blacktree.com)
synergy (www.wincent.com i believe)
mail.appetizer (google for it)
flip4mac (.com, not out for the intel-macs yet, sadly)

take OS X, good hardware, pretty reasonable prices (if you're .edu especially), add in Darwine along with the full BSD underpinnings, and you have enough to keep just about any user satisfied.

Photoshop 7 runs under rosetta at about 1.33 GHz G4 speeds btw, and Photoshop 6 is running under Darwine at native speeds if you can put up with the windows control elements… i'm personally awaiting the release of the universal binary version of Aperture.

toshiclark.com

March 4, 2006, 9:30 a.m.

its not so much that there laptops are better, but there OS is well suited for laptops. not much need for gaming or a wide variety of software. just a good stable platform with a browser, photoshop, and a good word processing ap.

How is it well suited for a laptop?

Funny how Macs were running OS9 (and earlier), an inferior operating system (anyone who knows operating systems would understand), Macs were running the best operating system. Then they went with a multi-threaded, pre-emptive multi-tasking operating system running on a microkernel (something WinNT had been doing for a decade), and the MacOS then became even more superior. Macs ran on a RISC chip, and that was superior. Now they run on an Intel chip, and that is superior. Is there anything it isn't superior at? I mean, 4% of personal computer users say that it's superior, so it must be so.

Things like integrated bluetooth, ….

and superior battery life, right?

Cray.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 4, 2006, 9:42 a.m.

How is it well suited for a laptop?

Funny how Macs were running OS9 (and earlier), an inferior operating system (anyone who knows operating systems would understand), Macs were running the best operating system. Then they went with a multi-threaded, pre-emptive multi-tasking operating system running on a microkernel (something WinNT had been doing for a decade), and the MacOS then became even more superior. Macs ran on a RISC chip, and that was superior. Now they run on an Intel chip, and that is superior. Is there anything it isn't superior at? I mean, 4% of personal computer users say that it's superior, so it must be so.

and superior battery life, right?

Cray.

Yeah yeah… well everyone's got an opinion. You've just chosen all of the ones that paint a nice argument for your side.

Personally, I was never impressed by the PPC arch, nor overly impressed with OS9 (thought it blew my left nut to be honest). OSX didn't initially wow me on the imacs I got to see it on, but after playing on a fast mac for a little bit (albeit, a really loaded down rediculous dual G5 with 8GB of ram and a couple 500GB HDs) with new OS 10.whatever I'm impressed.

Reviews like Tycho's on penny-arcade also help. Long time pc user, mac hater (like the rest of us pc users… we like to feel we made the right choice, as do the macers) yet he tries it for a week and loves it.

This space intentionally left blank.

March 4, 2006, 9:51 a.m.

Yeah yeah… well everyone's got an opinion. You've just chosen all of the ones that paint a nice argument for your side.

And there are no Mac "opinions" that paint a nice argument for the Mac side?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 4, 2006, 9:52 a.m.

And there are no Mac "opinions" that paint a nice argument for the Mac side?

That's kinda what I tried to follow with.

This space intentionally left blank.

March 4, 2006, 9:55 a.m.

I like the fact that you can run MacOS on a Dell. Gives more options than the closed hardware environment that Apple has been using for far too long.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells