Machinists - Looking for Reading Material

Dec. 2, 2011, 7:40 a.m.

Any machinists on the board? I am looking for a couple books or videos dealing with basic manual lathe and knee style milling machine operations. I'm just interested in the basic stuff - tooling selection, feed rates, simple cuts etc, etc.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Dec. 2, 2011, 8:28 a.m.

Any machinists on the board? I am looking for a couple books or videos dealing with basic manual lathe and knee style milling machine operations. I'm just interested in the basic stuff - tooling selection, feed rates, simple cuts etc, etc.

What's your ultimate goal? Learning all the theory is one thing, but it's really something that you need hands on time. BCIT does courses (or at least used to when I did one).

Dec. 2, 2011, 8:38 a.m.

This is what you need.

1700 - NEW The Starrett Book for Student Machinists. This is the 17th edition, Revised, printed in 1998, from the World's Greatest Toolmakers. For machine shop beginners, revised by a leading educator, written in clear, simple language. Contains 200 diagrams, illustrations, reference tables, and a full index with chapter headings such as: Mechanical Drawing, Fits and Terminology, Bench Work, How to make Measurements, Cutting Speed and Cutting Fluids, Drilling and Related Operations, Lathe Operations, Grinding, Metal Sawing, Toolmaking, Geometry and Mechanics. An excellent addition to your home shop library.
Great book, great illustrations and a great price! 4-1/2 x 7"" softcover, 160 pages.
Price is $11.00 each plus shipping.

This is the book I was going to recommend. Something like 1400 pages it is the bible of machining.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Dec. 2, 2011, 8:56 a.m.

What's your ultimate goal? Learning all the theory is one thing, but it's really something that you need hands on time. BCIT does courses (or at least used to when I did one).

I have access to lathe and milling machine at home and work and just want to brush up. I took some training about 10 years ago and never expanded on it. I'm just want feel more comfortable on both pieces. I will be mainly making simple tools for bearing and seal installation mainly. Nothing high tech.

Dec. 2, 2011, 8:57 a.m.

This is what you need.

This is the book I was going to recommend. Something like 1400 pages it is the bible of machining.

The Starret book looks perfect. Thanks.

Dec. 2, 2011, 9:35 a.m.

The machinery's handbook is awesome. Not really a guide for learning how to machine, but it has every bit of information you could possibly imagine.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Dec. 2, 2011, 10:08 a.m.

The machinery's handbook is awesome. Not really a guide for learning how to machine, but it has every bit of information you could possibly imagine.

Yeah. That's why I was asking intent. If you know how to do it, and just need the info, then it's the only book you need, but if you are wanting to learn, then you can't get much out of it.

Dec. 2, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

Pm me with questions, I'm currently a 3rd year apprentice.

Dec. 3, 2011, 1:05 a.m.

I do some machining on the side at work. Been waiting on the old guy to retire and move his machine shop into our building.

Dec. 3, 2011, 7:46 a.m.

Picked up "Machining Fundamentals" by John R. Walker, it's just what I am looking for. I still plan to find the Starrett book. And according to Amazon the new edition of the "Machinery's Handbook" is due out in January.

Dec. 3, 2011, 8:09 a.m.

Yeah it's the 28th edition. Honestly if you can find say the 25th edition used that will be fine, save some money. They all have the exact same info.

Dec. 3, 2011, 11:08 p.m.

Head to the local pub library. Should have enough books to get you a decent surface finish going;) Pm me with any q's as I am a 3rd year app. as well.

Clunking is for retards.