Macdaddies - OS X Lion anyone?

July 21, 2011, 11:40 a.m.

Has anyone installed the new OS yet? Any issues? Any gems?

July 21, 2011, 12:03 p.m.

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

July 21, 2011, 12:05 p.m.

No option to install Rosetta has been a bit of a problem, as a number of apps at work are still not universal - and have stopped working; one app does have an update but it is going to cost to upgrade the site license (and of course anyone with purchasing power is away on holidays), and the other app will be universal soon but they can't give us a date - wouldn't be so bad, but a) we use these everyday, b) it is part of our auditing software.

I'm sure we can come up with a work around, and install Rosetta via Target disk or some such, waiting on a call back now from Apple Support.

Other than that, looks cool, and does lots of neat new things - looking forward to the new iOS so we can start wireless syncing.

July 21, 2011, 12:10 p.m.

bah I bought it and regret it already. Fucking completely overcomplicated the UI.

July 21, 2011, 12:10 p.m.

Chrome and Xcode crashed multiple times so far. Super annoying. Hopefully that gets worked out. Stability is never a pleasant issue.

Switching between desktops and other added mouse gestures are really awesome. It's going to be really easy to navigate folders and apps after some getting used to. Except the default natural scrolling which is the most unnatural feeling ever. Easy to change though.

Also takes up an extra 6 gb. In case you're running out of disk space.

July 21, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

Also takes up an extra 6 gb. In case you're running out of disk space.

Running out of disk space on a Mac?

I'm still running 10.4 as every upgrade has precipitated a harware failure, repair and reversion to the revious OS. It may just be bad luck but I'm definitely shy of OSX "upgrades".

July 21, 2011, 1:36 p.m.

I've been using it for a while (dev release)

It's not an OS upgrade (IMO) it's more of a feature pack. It's basically Snow Leopard. Minus Rosetta (Apple wants rid of rossetta).

I think it's boring and mostly just bullsh1t apple hype.

July 21, 2011, 2:07 p.m.

Good to see that Apple people can share in being underwhelmed by a new OS. Welcome to PC world.

July 21, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

Running out of disk space on a Mac?

Not that hard to do. Especially with a solid state hard drive.

July 22, 2011, 2:02 a.m.

Pro Tools doesn't work on it at the minute.

Gimp Pimp, loving that picture and it's so true.

July 22, 2011, 7:15 a.m.

You apple guys are totally on cloud 9. WTF? PC's are better because they're cheaper. AND we make small, aesthetically pleasing computers too! Have you seen the netbooks? So much capability… in the same size as a fully functional apple computer, too! Change is bad. Buy PC.

Or,

Blue is better than red.

Why is it that every time somebody has a quick question about an apple product, half the board bites their heads off and vice versa? Is more annoying than the annual Alberta driver thread.

:fruit:

July 22, 2011, 11:52 a.m.

Go-T MacOSX kills Windows, but being that I'm a long time Linux user it's not surprising that I hold this view.

Mac's are to expensive, so build a hackintosh. I spent half as much on a PC picked up a $29 MacOSX disk and I have a wicked fast Mac.

And Mac Mini and Mac Air are smaller than any PC's that I know of currently.

And Who's head got bit off?

July 22, 2011, 11:55 a.m.

Go-T MacOSX kills Windows, but being that I'm a long time Linux user it's not surprising that I hold this view.

Mac's are to expensive, so build a hackintosh. I spent half as much on a PC picked up a $29 MacOSX disk and I have a wicked fast Mac.

And Mac Mini and Mac Air are smaller than any PC's that I know of currently.

And Who's head got bit off?

That is what I was wondering.

July 22, 2011, 12:01 p.m.

no spaces killed it for me, mission control is lame too.

ill stay with snow leopard