Mac - Who's got one?

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:10 p.m.

MacBook Pro - 2Ghz 2Gb ram. External 19 inch CRT for color testing.

I cringe every time we have to boot up the PC in the office to do any sort of testing etc.

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:42 p.m.

I just put in an offer for a nearly new macbook on craigslist. I hope they take my offer. Sweet!

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:49 p.m.

Well in the household weve got a macbook, a mini mac and this decrepid old pc and by next febuary will also have a macbook pro for myself and an imac for my sister.

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:50 p.m.

There's no progress bar on a mac. It just pops back up. This is what 'sleep' is on a mac. This is why it takes a second or two longer than your PC, when you put your pc in 'sleep' mode (which reduces power usage, but not much else).

jpi: Oh do tell. Are you just coming from the 'there aren't many multi-threaded apps out there' standpoint? What about those of us who use more than one program at once eh? My absolute minimum is 4, although it often climbs to close to 10.

Macs don't have a progress bars because macs doesn't have hibernate. Macs have sleep, just like a PC.

Just to be sure, I tried out my sleep right now. It took about 7 seconds to go off, about 2 seconds to come back on. Mac, is 1 second off, 1 second on, whoo hoo. Saving a whole 7 seconds!

Hibernate completely shuts off the power. Where sleep on PC and mac does not. It takes what's currently stored on your ram, writes it to your HD and then puts it into a temperary off state. NO power is being used, therefore, you can leave it on hibernate for days, or months, turn it back on, and you're exactly where you left off. MAC does not have this feature, and mac's sleep, like PCs, slowly (very very very slowly) will drain your battery.

Dec. 5, 2006, 2:04 p.m.

Macs don't have a progress bars because macs doesn't have hibernate. Macs have sleep, just like a PC.

Just to be sure, I tried out my sleep right now. It took about 7 seconds to go off, about 2 seconds to come back on. Mac, is 1 second off, 1 second on, whoo hoo. Saving a whole 7 seconds!

Hibernate completely shuts off the power. Where sleep on PC and mac does not. It takes what's currently stored on your ram, writes it to your HD and then puts it into a temperary off state. NO power is being used, therefore, you can leave it on hibernate for days, or months, turn it back on, and you're exactly where you left off. MAC does not have this feature, and mac's sleep, like PCs, slowly (very very very slowly) will drain your battery.

I was under the impression that XP's hibernate was the only way to save the contents of hte ram to the HD, and that sleep just dimmed the screen and stop the HD spinning. Whereas a mac's sleep saves the contents of the ram to the HD as you mentioned.

I have almost zero experience with pc laptops though, so I very well could be wrong.

This space intentionally left blank.

Dec. 5, 2006, 4:02 p.m.

dual core = hype.

:lol:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 5, 2006, 6:37 p.m.

Macs do a 'sleep/hibernate' combo. When you close the lid, the RAM contents are saved to the hard-drive, and then the computer goes to sleep (still powering the RAM). If you open up your computer while there is still juice in the battery, it should turn on almost instantly. Otherwise, if the battery had completely died, since the data saved to the ram is no longer there the computer will wake up from the 'hibernate' mode, loading the data from the hard-drive to the RAM.

I believe it is called 'safe-sleep'.

BTW: Anyone with a Mac who has under 1 gigabyte of RAM: Upgrade. Trust me, it will make your machine feel a LOT faster.

Chris.

Dec. 5, 2006, 6:40 p.m.

Macs do a 'sleep/hibernate' combo. When you close the lid, the RAM contents are saved to the hard-drive, and then the computer goes to sleep (still powering the RAM). If you open up your computer while there is still juice in the battery, it should turn on almost instantly. Otherwise, if the battery had completely died, since the data saved to the ram is no longer there the computer will wake up from the 'hibernate' mode, loading the data from the hard-drive to the RAM.

I believe it is called 'safe-sleep'.

BTW: Anyone with a Mac who has under 1 gigabyte of RAM: Upgrade. Trust me, it will make your machine feel a LOT faster.

Noo way. My 27mb of free memory when I'm running only a browser and MSN is PLENTY.

I cannot wait to upgrade to 2gb.

Dec. 5, 2006, 6:49 p.m.

Noo way. My 27mb of free memory when I'm running only a browser and MSN is PLENTY.

I cannot wait to upgrade to 2gb.

OSX memory management is not the same as Windows'. I can believe you only have 27 megs of free memory, but you likely have much more inactive and active memory available.

That said, 2GB is quite nice to have. I love mine.

Dec. 5, 2006, 9:22 p.m.

mines a 24'' intel mac etc

its dooooope!

anus

Dec. 5, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

ya my brand new MBP with 1 gig is showing 30 mb free wtf
but i have almost 900 mb active and inactive.
is somthing wrong with that?

brokezors

Dec. 5, 2006, 10:19 p.m.

ya my brand new MBP with 1 gig is showing 30 mb free wtf
but i have almost 900 mb active and inactive.
is somthing wrong with that?

No. That's normal.

Dec. 5, 2006, 10:48 p.m.

yay apple 17 in g4 power book with 17 in lcd studio display and 250 gig lacie.

no one in my family has ever owned a pc, we have 5 macs in our house right now !!

Dec. 5, 2006, 11:04 p.m.

I was under the impression that XP's hibernate was the only way to save the contents of hte ram to the HD, and that sleep just dimmed the screen and stop the HD spinning. Whereas a mac's sleep saves the contents of the ram to the HD as you mentioned.

I have almost zero experience with pc laptops though, so I very well could be wrong.

xp's sleep turns off monitor completely, as well as HD. I don't believe it stores ANYTHINg to HD though as it continues to power your ram. So yes, if you left it on for too long (quite a while)… You might lose everything when your battery dies… It MIGHT safe-sleep, but I don't though…

yay apple 17 in g4 power book with 17 in lcd studio display and 250 gig lacie.

no one in my family has ever owned a pc, we have 5 macs in our house right now !!

Holy too much money…

Dec. 6, 2006, 1:48 a.m.

Single 1.8ghz Power Mac G5 and 20" Cinema Display right now. I can't decide whether I should go the upgrade route or just trade up for a Macbook Pro.