Looming Facebook IPO

Feb. 4, 2012, 8:57 a.m.

I like stories like the one above. Accidental millionaires are an interesting group.
Plus they always buy the first round.

:greedy:

Feb. 4, 2012, 7:26 p.m.

Some of the other stories are pretty crazy. The Co-foubder of LinkedIn put $40k and is getting a return $425 million.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

May 17, 2012, 6:48 p.m.

Facebook IPO is supposed to be out tomorrow…

Unfortunately it will be extremelly hard for retail traders to get in on it. Most trade houses (including my own) will only accept limit orders. So, let's say it opens at $38 and you put a limits buy at $45, it will likely pass $45 by the time they get approval by the exchange to fill it… This has happened to me before… chased a few stocks all the way up the ladder and didn't get filled numerous times…

Here's what my trade house has to say…

"Please be advised that shares in Facebook are expected to begin trading on Friday May 18, 2012. _All orders are subject to exchange approval so please monitor your orders carefully. We will only accept limit orders on the first day of trading. "_

And the rich get richer…….

May 17, 2012, 7:10 p.m.

And the rich get richer…….

The rich are the ones that will be selling tomorrow.

May 17, 2012, 7:15 p.m.

The rich are the ones that will be selling tomorrow.

That's quite possible… Their mattresses are already stuffed with $38 shares waiting for us retail shmucks to drive up the price.

May 17, 2012, 8:27 p.m.

Kinda sad… reportedly Morgan Stanley or whoever will make $1.3 Billion initially on the IPO. Makes me a bit sick… The rest of us will profit or loss as the shares go up or down at markets will.

May 17, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

I can't stand FB, or the entire social media bandwagon. Albeit camouflaged as this benefit to en masse communications, it's debilitating the true essence of personal experience. Further to this, the profiling and mining that can be had as a profitable bi-product is off the f*ckin' hook. It makes users feel as though they're part of something bigger, something better, and more profound - but in reality, it's having people spend more time in front of their computer screens, becoming less human every minute they're there.

Dirty S.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

May 17, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

apparently bono invested a good chunk in fb's early days and is expected to make ~$1.5b (!), making him the worlds richest musician…

May 17, 2012, 8:45 p.m.

The rest of us will profit or loss as the shares go up or down at markets will.

The good news is is that we don't have to play this game.

May 17, 2012, 8:50 p.m.

I can't stand FB, or the entire social media bandwagon. Albeit camouflaged as this benefit to en masse communications, it's debilitating the true essence of personal experience. Further to this, the profiling and mining that can be had as a profitable bi-product is off the f*ckin' hook. It makes users feel as though they're part of something bigger, something better, and more profound - but in reality, it's having people spend more time in front of their computer screens, becoming less human every minute they're there.

Dirty S.

sorry, but i respectfully disagree. for someone like myself, who lost an entire circle of friends when i got divorced, it serves as a way to reach out to friends from high school, friends in the biking community, a way to communicate and share information (however silly) with other people, and makes me feel way less disconnected.

i dont like it being used as a political platform however, but it's fairly simple to block those posts.

May 17, 2012, 9:01 p.m.

Dirty S.

sorry, but i respectfully disagree. for someone like myself, who lost an entire circle of friends when i got divorced, it serves as a way to reach out to friends from high school, friends in the biking community, a way to communicate and share information (however silly) with other people, and makes me feel way less disconnected.

i dont like it being used as a political platform however, but it's fairly simple to block those posts.

What LG said.

I have reconnected with old friends that was impossible before FB. As it turns out it has not only let me reconnect casually but actually become better friends (in real life of all places!) than we were in the past. Pretty cool actually.

Furthermore, I have a very mobile and global circle of friends and social networks have let us all keep in touch at a distance and to plan reunions when we are in the same region/country/continent. Again, pretty cool.

May 17, 2012, 11:44 p.m.

I still don't really get how this thing can be valued at over 100billion. This sounds like tech bubble 2.0 to me.

May 18, 2012, 7:37 a.m.

"She says the U.S. is the only country without IPO rules that put traditional investors on an equal footing."

:lol: merica fuck yeah!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 18, 2012, 8:32 a.m.

rolling along now.. $42

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 18, 2012, 8:38 a.m.

errr.. make it $40… ruh oh..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.