London...Brixton to be more specific..

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:31 p.m.

I'm going to England again for Christmas and new years. I want to go out for a night in London to hear some dubstep. I've heard Brixton is the best place to go.

My question is: If I go to Brixton by myself am I gonna get rushed, jumped, stabbed and raped by a gang of teenagers wearing hoodies and track pants?

www.natooke.com

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:34 p.m.

and will run away on scooters

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:52 p.m.

only if u sing the Manchester united song aloud

8-)

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:55 p.m.

Ever since reading this I've had the chorus to Guns of Brixton on repeat in my head.

Nov. 6, 2011, 11:34 p.m.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Akala:This_Is_London

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 6, 2011, 11:55 p.m.

Brixton isn't that dangerous. It's the council estates that are teaming with feral chavs. Stay well away from those shitholes. You realise no one in London listens to dubstep and it's considered a joke right? The entire genre is sustained by sales to fat north american nerds.

Nov. 7, 2011, 1:36 a.m.

Brixton isn't that dangerous. It's the council estates that are teaming with feral chavs. Stay well away from those shitholes. You realise no one in London listens to dubstep and it's considered a joke right? The entire genre is sustained by sales to fat north american nerds.

You realize it's just north american dubstep that they think is the joke, right?

Nov. 7, 2011, 1:47 a.m.

The guys from London I was drinking with last week might disagree with you. :lol:

www.natooke.com

Nov. 7, 2011, 5:58 a.m.

Hahaha. Oh, how I miss living in Brixton. A couple of gems from my time there:

My daily commute involved me walking past a black VW Golf on the way to the tube. One day, I notice the window's been smashed in. That sucks, I think to myself. Over the next few days the owner goes through the motions of sticking in a cardboard panel, then getting the glass replaced. About a month or so later again the window is smashed again. Same thing. Cardboard, then new glass. Another month or so, and again the window is broken. This time, the glass is repaired, and a note placed on the dash. "I have been broken into three times in the last four months. I have nothing for you so leave me the fuck alone!"

Another couple of months go by before I walk past and the car is on bricks. The original note is on the seat with a note on the reverse. "Thanks for wheels."

Walking home with my roommate after a night out at about 2am or so. A girl, who has clearly indulged in her fair share of crack comes up to us, "Hey man, do either of you have a cigarette?"

"Sorry, no"
"Aw, come on, One of you must have a cigarette?"
"Sorry, neither of us smoke"
"Come on, it's not like I'm asking you for money"
"Sorry, if I had a cigarette on me I'd give it to you, but neither of us smoke."
"Well, how about 25p so I can bum a cig of someone else then?"
"I thought you weren't asking for money?"

Then BOOM! She blindsides him with a left hook to the face. We're both stunned. We briefly consider some form of retaliation, but notice she's now purposefully walking across the road to rejoin a group of Brixton's finest gentlemen manning the street corner.

Fun times.

I can't help with the original question, although for what it's worth, the area has been cleaned up massively since I was there. I'm confident I would be happy living there now. That is, if the thought of living in London again didn't make me violently sick to the stomach.

I'm sure the bars I used to frequent don't exist anymore, but I remember The Redstar and Dogstar (surprisingly, seemingly unrelated) being favorites. The Fridge was good for a night of absolute hedonism. I don;t remember what kind of music they used to play. I'd say I've just forgotten but I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I had been listening to the morning after a night there either…

Nov. 7, 2011, 7:10 a.m.

Ever since reading this I've had the chorus to Guns of Brixton on repeat in my head.

I was thinking of Hijack The Terrorist Group first, then of The Clash.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 7, 2011, 7:22 a.m.

When they kick at your front door
How ya gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

From memory … did not google.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 7, 2011, 8:54 a.m.

When they kick at your front door
How ya gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

From memory … did not google.

Kn.

When the law break in
How you gonna go?
Shot down on the pavement
Or waiting on death row?

Again … from memory …