lol alberta

April 11, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

http://www.ey.com/CA/en/Services/Tax/Tax-Calculators-2012-Personal-Tax

While someone already pointed it out, I prefer this site as it allows you to pin-point almost exactly where Albertans actually pay less (over 125,000ish) up until then BC is a lower income tax prov.

Good thing I make over $125K/yr and have for the last 6 years. Most trades people I know make over that a year in AB. It's not hard when you want to work for a living.

Opportunities suck don't they. :)

April 11, 2012, 9:41 a.m.

Good thing I make over $125K/yr and have for the last 6 years. Most trades people I know make over that a year in AB. It's not hard when you want to work for a living.

i know that when im about to die, my one regret will be that i didnt spend enough time at work.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 11, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

I'll happily pay $125k a year to not live in Edmonton.

April 11, 2012, 10:15 a.m.

i know that when im about to die, my one regret will be that i didnt spend enough time at work.

:lol:

Raingauge, I am sure you are a nice person, but patting yourself on the back because you believe as an Albertan you know how to work harder than other people is the number one reason people across the country think AB is a province full of douchebags.

The truth really is that it is not hard to make lots of money in trades because Alberta is sitting on a sea of oil. I am pretty sure loggers, fisherman and farmers work hard too they just don't brag as much because they didn't win the payscale lottery.

April 11, 2012, 10:56 a.m.

The truth really is that it is not hard to make lots of money in trades because Alberta is sitting on a sea of oil. I am pretty sure loggers, fisherman and farmers and work hard too they just don't brag as much because they didn't win the payscale lottery.

Of course all trades people work hard (except the unionized ones, and we have them too) - but you don't get to call it a pay scale lottery. Most companies will pay your moving expenses to get you out here if you're willing to sign on for a couple years. It's not like these jobs aren't available to everybody, it isn't luck, it's common sense if money is your main driver.

April 11, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

It's no trick to make a lot of money, if all you want to do is make a lot of money. ~ "Everett Sloane" in Citizen Kane

April 11, 2012, 11:28 a.m.

Of course all trades people work hard (except the unionized ones, and we have them too) - but you don't get to call it a pay scale lottery. Most companies will pay your moving expenses to get you out here if you're willing to sign on for a couple years. It's not like these jobs aren't available to everybody, it isn't luck, it's common sense if money is your main driver.

Packing up and heading to Alberta or changing careers isn't an option for a lot of people and the big money of the tar sands wasn't always the case. Not everyone is 19. Some people have families and are rooted in what they do and where they are. We also cannot have the entire country employed in the tar sands.

My point really was that there can be a certain arrogance associated with the quick money that young guys can make in the tar sands. It is an attitude that the cash in their account is there because they are awesome. I grew up in a small fishing town and I know a lot of people that stuck it out through the lean years but make good money today. They had to pay their dues and don't act cocky about the money they make. They know it can all change tomorrow.

April 11, 2012, 11:33 a.m.

Packing up and heading to Alberta or changing careers isn't an option for a lot of people and the big money of the tar sands wasn't always the case. Not everyone is 19. Some people have families and are rooted in what they do and where they are. We also cannot have the entire country employed in the tar sands.

My point really was that there can be a certain arrogance associated with the quick money that young guys can make in the tar sands. It is an attitude that the cash in their account is there because they are awesome. I grew up in a small fishing town and I know a lot of people that stuck it out through the lean years but make good money today. They had to pay their dues and don't act cocky about the money they make.

Having been the cocky 18 year old who needed badly to grow up, I agree with you. I would very much like to see enough people move to Alberta to make these projects work, though. I would much rather see the jobs and spinoffs from the oilsands go to Canadians rather than rely heavily on immigration… especially since unemployment numbers are still at an unacceptably high level.

April 11, 2012, 11:45 a.m.

Having been the cocky 18 year old who needed badly to grow up, I agree with you. I would very much like to see enough people move to Alberta to make these projects work, though. I would much rather see the jobs and spinoffs from the oilsands go to Canadians rather than rely heavily on immigration… especially since unemployment numbers are still at an unacceptably high level.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that, although I do have concerns with the environmental impact. I have quite a few projects that are related to the tar sands myself.

April 11, 2012, 12:55 p.m.

:lol:

Raingauge, I am sure you are a nice person, but patting yourself on the back because you believe as an Albertan you know how to work harder than other people is the number one reason people across the country think AB is a province full of douchebags.

Think? Know would be the correct word.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 11, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

Didja know that when someones address if nfa it means Not Fuckin' Alberta?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 11, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

I'm lucky and don't spend countless hours at work; I drop my kids off at school in the morning and leave early to pick them up for sports and dance.

The difference is that here people can work a normal amount and be comfortable (house, newer car, savings and a retirement) or bust their ass and have more.

As for the douchebags; we have lots of them but so do you. They're everywhere you can't get away from them.

April 11, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

golf clap.

April 11, 2012, 2:57 p.m.

^^ Which valley is this? Looks to me kinda like the Rocky Mtn Trench, which is technically on the BC side…

April 11, 2012, 3:02 p.m.

^^ Which valley is this? Looks to me kinda like the Rocky Mtn Trench, which is technically on the BC side…

Its just the lipstick on the pig.

Ha Ha! Made you look.