Listen to a bear die

Feb. 21, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

I am betting most bears in BC die from being hit on the highway or getting too close to humans/garbage/housing and needing to be put down by conservation

Feb. 21, 2016, 10:59 a.m.

I am betting most bears in BC die from being hit on the highway or getting too close to humans/garbage/housing and needing to be put down by conservation

about 16% of the bears killed in bc are due to the conflicts you suggest.
the vast majority are killed by hunters, both legally and illegally.

the data in the link below is old, but it holds true for the averages over the past 20 years.

http://lakesteward.ca/files/outreach/bc-bear-facts.pdf

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 21, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

As misplaced as my disgust for the West fabricating groups like Isis to keep you outraged and the oil/war machine rolling.

I think I know whats misplaced, and it's not that.:stupid:

Feb. 21, 2016, 11:52 a.m.

shame-mob on killing for fun? yes that appears to be the case. but if you can make a good case for killing for fun then have at er.

shame mob for hunting for food? no.

I guess we should just shame all the sport fishers that spend millions of dollars coming to BC to fish. So now that pipelines are crushed, fishing is too inhumane, we should also protect the forests - what do we do for work and recreation?

Feb. 21, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

I guess we should just shame all the sport fishers that spend millions of dollars coming to BC to fish. So now that pipelines are crushed, fishing is too inhumane, we should also protect the forests - what do we do for work and recreation?

I hate all these fucking clear cut I have to drive through when im driving down logging roads:(

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 21, 2016, 1:50 p.m.

shame-mob on killing for fun? yes that appears to be the case. but if you can make a good case for killing for fun then have at er.

shame mob for hunting for food? no.

So basically you are here to argue. And in your rush to do that completely ignored the question . Have you stepped up and told the BC Government how you feel? Based on your skipping that….you are just here to the Ralph Wiggum "Look I'm helping"

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 26, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

So basically you are here to argue. And in your rush to do that completely ignored the question . Have you stepped up and told the BC Government how you feel? Based on your skipping that….you are just here to the Ralph Wiggum "Look I'm helping"

hear to argue against something i disagree with? yes if you want to call it that. newsflash for you, but that's what happens every day when people disagree with something, they argue/debate about it.

have i sent a letter to the bc government about our hunting rules? no. did you happen to notice that the incident this thread is basd on took place in florida? i'm not sure how sending a letter to the bc govt will have an effect on that. as for our province maybe i'll send off a letter or sign a petition somewhere to end the bear hunt in bc. but we all know how these things work - the most powerful lobby groups get the attention of the govt of the day which is usually paired with what brings money in to the govt coffers. closing the bear hunt in bc would probably require it to become a major election issue and guess how that gets started? by bringing up the topic in the media/social media and talking or arguing about it.

if it helps you at all, i find hunting, or killing animals mainly for pleasure or fun repugnant. i get much more satisfaction from the idea of observing animals like bear or deer in their natural habitat than kill them and thankfully i've been able to enjoy the exeperience of watching such animals in the wild a few times.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 26, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

Battle of the quotes!

It is true that American and other foreign hunters are willing to pay a lot of money to shoot a bear. Each black bear brings in roughly $10,000, part of which the guiding company pays out to the provincial government. The fee to kill a Grizzly bear can reach $25,000. But according to a 2014 study by CREST and Stanford University, compared to ecotourism activities like bear viewing, revenues from bear hunting are negligible.

In recent years, foreign hunters have shot an average of four grizzlies and 36 black bears every year in the Great Bear Rainforest. That adds up to less than half a million dollars, split between four or five guide outfitters [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; none of whom live on the coast where they bring hunters.

BC residents also hunt in the Great Bear Rainforest, and are responsible for another 55 or so bears a year. But the money resident hunters spend in local communities is minimal, and none of it represents new revenue from outside the province. Contrast that with wildlife viewing, which brings in visitors from around the world. Bear viewing generates 12 times more spending and 11 times more direct revenue to the provincial government than bear hunting in the Great Bear Rainforest. Bear viewing also employs 510 people while bear hunting employs 11. The economic potential of bear viewing up and down the coast is huge, but not if trophy hunters are killing a hundred bears a year and scaring off the rest.

http://www.bearsforever.ca/this_debate_is_over

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 26, 2016, 11:02 a.m.

i find hunting, or killing animals mainly for pleasure or fun repugnant

Over its lifetime a coastal bear will catch thousands of salmon and pick literally millions of berries. All that food is turned into hundreds of pounds of muscle and fat. Trophy hunters let it all go to waste. The hunters who shot and killed 'Cheeky' the bear by the Kwatna river took only his head, paws and skin, leaving the rest of this healthy young bear's carcass to rot in the estuary. This is fundamentally at odds with a First Nations value shared by people across BC: if you must shoot an animal, at least have the respect to make use of its meat.

Coastal trophy hunting is more than disrespectful; it's unfair. Guides actually offer to barge in SUVs so hunters won't have to hike. Bears can be spotted from planes, chased down in boats, or shot as they walk by camouflaged blinds. They're hunted in the fall when they come down to feed on salmon, and then hunted in the spring when they emerge from hibernation. And unlike animals like deer or elk, there are no rules against shooting mothers. A third of the grizzlies killed in BC are female.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjp8jDQ7E_s

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 26, 2016, 12:50 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDcgl7hCwU4

On the Death of Grizzly 760 and the Lessons of Grizzly 399s Clan

Feb. 26, 2016, 3:54 p.m.

I think you've convinced me to do a spring hunt.

Feb. 26, 2016, 4 p.m.

I think you've convinced me to do a spring hunt.

from some stuff i was reading this morning the spring is the best time to hunt bear for food. it's at it's peak tenderness as the bear has just come out of hibernation and has been eating mostly plants. it also has less fat deposits and this is good as bear fat goes rancid real fast. the thing is though you have to dress them quick and it should be done in the field if you want the meat to be tasty. the other thing is that it's particularly messy when compared to other animals as bears have this visceral slime that covers everything. plus you have to get the meat frozen or on ice quickly because if you dry like you do venison the meat tastes terrible.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 26, 2016, 4:11 p.m.

from some stuff i was reading this morning the spring is the best time to hunt bear for food. it's at it's peak tenderness as the bear has just come out of hibernation and has been eating mostly plants. it also has less fat deposits and this is good as bear fat goes rancid real fast. the thing is though you have to dress them quick and it should be done in the field if you want the meat to be tasty. the other thing is that it's particularly messy when compared to other animals as bears have this visceral slime that covers everything. plus you have to get the meat frozen or on ice quickly because if you dry like you do venison the meat tastes terrible.

They're more pissed off and less fishy tasting - good hunting and eating.

Feb. 26, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

Shooting a bear over bait is the act of a coward.

June 17, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

On May 27, Magistrate Judge Jeremiah Lynch rocked the grizzly bear world in an unprecedented sentencing of a man to six months in federal prison for poaching a threatened grizzly bear in the Cabinet Yaak ecosystem last year (link). While the fine of $5,000 was stiff but not unusual for violations of the Endangered Species Act (ESA), jail time is unheard of as a penalty for any infraction on imperiled species, let alone grizzly bears.

cool!