Linoleum

Oct. 17, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

Is a multi-tool the best (easiest) way to remove linoleum that was laid down before Jesus and the Dinosaurs ruled the earth?

Tried the scoring/water/scrape thing. That got old really fucking fast.

Oct. 17, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

Is a multi-tool the best (easiest) way to remove linoleum that was laid down before Jesus and the Dinosaurs ruled the earth?

putting down tile? you could use the lino as a fracture membrane, just roll down a the appropriate primer first and tile right over top of the lino. this depends on the condition/type of the lino tho.

but if you're trying to remove it then the best way depends on the sub floor how big an area do you have to do. if it's a concrete subfloor rent one of these or a smaller version and hook it up to a good shop vac with a filter and a bag. it may cost you $100 to rent but the lino will be gone in under an hour.

if it's plywood then do the same thing but with a circular floor sander with a vac attachment. same thin, done in a hour.

the multi tool will speed things up but not by much and if it's a plywood subfloor the multi tool will be continually biting into the plywood.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 17, 2016, 10:26 p.m.

Scraper blade attachment for a recip saw works well ….. in the aspect that it is wider than the multi toolhttp://http://homefixated.flashpointstudio.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Spyder_Scraper_1.jpg

If subfloor height wasn't an issue I would also look at glue and screw a new substrate 3/8" ply over the old

Usually most Lino I have to remove (with old substrate) , I use my asbestos guy as most older Lino has some of that in it .
But a good respirator , a bit of water and some garbage bags are diy way to go

Oct. 17, 2016, 10:34 p.m.

If it's real old, think about if it has asbestos in it.

Thread killer

Oct. 18, 2016, 12:54 a.m.

If it's real old, think about if it has asbestos in it.

This!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Oct. 18, 2016, 6:26 a.m.

Bring a sample into one of the labs that test for asbestos if it's pre-1990. Test will be about $40 each. Sample the old adhesive as well.

Oct. 18, 2016, 6:48 a.m.

Thanks guys, you're right, will check.

Syncro, that is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Oct. 18, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

Wow, you have gone all in on the reno!