Life/Health Insurance for bikers?

May 12, 2010, 10:59 p.m.

Hey, I was just looking for Life Insurance, thought it might be a good idea to look at health insurance too, in case I end up in a wheelchair or something.

If you look at RBC's Personal Accident Insurance (accidental death), your wife won't get paid if:

-Participating in dangerous sports such as scuba diving, bungee jumping, sky diving or parachuting

http://www.rbcinsurance.com/lifeinsurance/personal-accident-insurance.html

When I meet with an adviser, I'll have to ask specifically about "mountain biking". Perhaps omitting the "Downhill" part.

All my banking is at RBC, but I'll gladly go elsewhere if there is an insurance co that is more biker friendly.

Anyone?

May 13, 2010, 5:36 a.m.

Ask the advisor to explicitly define "dangerous sport".

Don't omit the word "down hill" to try and sneak one past them…If they're not comfortable insuring you and the activities you participate in,they're not the policy provider for you.

Pastor of Muppets

May 13, 2010, 6:28 a.m.

You may also want to look into short term / long term disability coverage as well if you don't have it already. The risk of having an accident that might cause you to not be able to work, and therefore not generate an income, can be mitigated as well. Even more important if you're the primary income earner in your household.

May 13, 2010, 6:51 a.m.

I am an insurance advocate. Edge benefits ensured me mountain biking is cool as long as i was not racing, just to be sure i would drag myself to the nearest xc trail or logging road though ;)

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=126392[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=disability

Ps…my roommate is still living off of edge benefits, two years this month he called me from hospital saying a drunk ran his motorcycle off the road, hit and run. Even though the Lynn Vally Chick "Jenny"was proven guilty in court…. ICBC has just finally responded to his lawyers incessant attempts contact, no moneys have been issued to date, not even a steak dinner. Count on another 3 years before he is mildly compensated. Than goodnes he coverd his ass.

Screw ICBC…..

and cover your ass always.

PPS Jenny, your court orderd apology to my roomate was sooooo weak.

May 13, 2010, 9:37 a.m.

I agree, they will wait for that 5yr max time limit to run up and finally get around to compensation.

Been there, done that… effin crooks

May 13, 2010, 10:55 a.m.

When I got my life insurance I asked about mtn biking. They said no problem…as long as the sport in question is not on their list they don't care.

Click Me

May 13, 2010, 11:10 a.m.

When I got my life insurance I asked about mtn biking. They said no problem…as long as the sport in question is not on their list they don't care.

Ditto. Just went through this with RBC.

May 13, 2010, 11:20 a.m.

Same, I actually was very specific such as "I jump off of things, I could break my neck you know?" and they didn't care. If it's not on the list then they don't consider it a dangerous sport.

alright!!!