let's see how smart you are

March 20, 2017, 6:06 p.m.

I would actually still argue it's A, D, and 7

The Premises are as followed:

P - Character is a Vowel

Q - Character is a Number

R - Number is Even

I read the statement as p -> (Q /\ R)

Which says, if P is true, then Q and R must be true.

Meaning, if a vowel, the other side must be a number, and the number must be even.

I understand what you're saying, but in my mind that would be written as:

"If there is a vowel on one side and a number on the other, then the number must be even." which would be P /\ Q -> R, in which case, you would not need to check D.

but it says:

"If there is a vowel on one side then there is an even number on the other side"

If the 'answer' is just A and 7, then it's a very poorly written statement.

March 20, 2017, 8:23 p.m.

A is a vowel, so it must be checked as it must be paired with an even number.

4 is even. The other side doesn't matter as it could be anything.  The rule doesn't say a consonant can't be paired with an even number - it just says that a vowel must be paired with an even number.

D is not a vowel, so it doesn't have to be checked as the rule only applies to vowels.

7 must be checked because the other side could be a vowel and would therefore break the rule of a vowel being paired with an even number.

March 20, 2017, 8:31 p.m.

I see it as:

D must also be checked because, like 7, the other side could be a vowel and would therefore break the rule of a vowel being paired with an even number.

There's no rule saying there must be a number/letter pair per card...

Last edited by: kalisto on March 20, 2017, 8:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 20, 2017, 9:50 p.m.

^^^

That does make a valid point.  Seems I have to test my assumptions too!

Shows how easy it is to fall into assumptions ... even when you're looking for them.

March 20, 2017, 10 p.m.

Posted by: kalisto

I see it as:

D must also be checked because, like 7, the other side could be a vowel and would therefore break the rule of a vowel being paired with an even number.

this is where i get to vilify my prof tomorrow in class. the test is know as the Wason selection task and is a well know behavioural psychology test/experiment. when we went through it last week the discussion was somewhat hilarious. anyway, as presented to me we were told there could be anything on the back of the card - but such is not the case! if you do some checking on the wason test, all the sites i check stated that the cards have a letter on one side and a number on the other - my prof missed that bit. 

so as presented here - kalisto would actually be correct! he gets a prize from the top shelf.

Last edited by: syncro on March 20, 2017, 10:08 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 21, 2017, 8:36 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I see it as:

this is where i get to vilify my prof tomorrow in class. the test is know as the Wason selection task and is a well know behavioural psychology test/experiment. when we went through it last week the discussion was somewhat hilarious. anyway, as presented to me we were told there could be anything on the back of the card - but such is not the case! if you do some checking on the wason test, all the sites i check stated that the cards have a letter on one side and a number on the other - my prof missed that bit. 

so as presented here - kalisto would actually be correct! he gets a prize from the top shelf.

What's on the top shelf? Other than dust.

March 21, 2017, 8:43 a.m.

... a ham sandwich...

March 21, 2017, 10:17 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I see it as:

Ahem...

March 21, 2017, 3:24 p.m.

I see it as:

Makes sense.