Let's hoot 'n hollar, drink some beer and watch some critters die!

July 16, 2012, 6:56 a.m.

Blissful ignorance.

Do you have any idea why calves are roped (and not choked)?

Photoshopped?

July 16, 2012, 7:04 a.m.

Yup, calf roping still happens. Wouldn't want to be able to restrain calves for medical treatment or branding purposes. You bleeding heart's probably also think that branding is cruel though.

I was under the assumption calf roping (sorry, didn't know what it was called before) was a timed event and wasn't used to apply medical treatment or branding at a rodeo.

Can I get the full definition of a bleeding heart? I don't think I fully qualify.

July 16, 2012, 4:41 p.m.

I was under the assumption calf roping (sorry, didn't know what it was called before) was a timed event and wasn't used to apply medical treatment or branding at a rodeo.

Can I get the full definition of a bleeding heart? I don't think I fully qualify.

You do in this iteration.

No matter the profession people choose, if it involves a unique skill set that can be applied to a competition, chances are it will be. You clearly don't understand the importance of rodeo to "western" culture, and I don't particularly care. There are thousands of rodeos held across our three provinces every year, that isn't going to change. Every effort is taken to treat the animals humanely.

I will bet you 1000 dollars that more animals are killed annually by traffic on the North American highway system than are killed in rodeos.

July 16, 2012, 4:44 p.m.

No matter the profession people choose, if it involves a unique skill set that can be applied to a competition, chances are it will be. You clearly don't understand the importance of rodeo to "western" culture, and I don't particularly care. There are thousands of rodeos held across our three provinces every year, that isn't going to change. Every effort is taken to treat the animals humanely.

I will bet you 1000 dollars that more animals are killed annually by traffic on the North American highway system than are killed in rodeos.

pretty sure the point is that they are (ab)using non consenting animals for entertainment..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 16, 2012, 5:20 p.m.

Come on man, that's a cop out.

So:

A) I am a bleeding heart
B) I support the death penalty in some circumstances

ergo:

C) A bleeding heart is someone who supports the death penalty

You clearly don't understand the importance of rodeo to "western" culture, and I don't particularly care.

[… some snippage…]

I often come across replies saying they don't care. There's an awesome Inigo Montoya meme for that one.

Regardless, can I assume then that you'd be supportive of my ventures if

A) I reached some sort of critical mass of support

AND!

B) Kept the death toll below traffic road kill count?

Could you imagine replacing calves with black lab's?

July 16, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

Could you imagine replacing calves with black lab's?

They taste alright (depending on what they were raised on) but are a bit stringy. Maybe
Bushman can chime in on how best to prepare them.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 16, 2012, 5:49 p.m.

I'd pay to see them try and lasso and tie up a or Rottweiler.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 16, 2012, 7:18 p.m.

I'd pay to see them try and lasso and tie up a or Rottweiler.

Didn't we have something like that in like 300-100BC? I'd pay to see gladiators fight
lions, well maybe not lions since we don't have too many of them, how about water buffalo or boars? Maybe hand-to-hand with a chimpanzee?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 16, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

pretty sure the point is that they are (ab)using non consenting animals for entertainment..

Its a competition of what people do at work. If you can get full consent from any animal to do ANYTHING,I'd be impressed.

Its obvious that many of you don't understand how things are outside of your little bubble. I suggest you get out and see a little of the real world before you start pontificating on how things should be.

Pastor of Muppets

July 16, 2012, 7:38 p.m.

Its a competition of what people do at work. If you can get full consent from any animal to do ANYTHING,I'd be impressed.

Its obvious that many of you don't understand how things are outside of your little bubble. I suggest you get out and see a little of the real world before you start pontificating on how things should be.

It's difficult discussing things with you as you never answer any questions (direct or otherwise) and simply rely on attacking the person, not the message.

Would you be OK if I roped a black lab by the neck?

July 16, 2012, 7:55 p.m.

yeah man, i think thats the whole point.. not that i agree with it just pointin git out.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 16, 2012, 8:11 p.m.

they were gonna die eventually anyways………….

July 16, 2012, 8:23 p.m.

Maybe hand-to-hand with a chimpanzee?

A few days ago an American graduate student was seriously mauled by a chimpanzee. They are strong animals.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 16, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

It's difficult discussing things with you as you never answer any questions (direct or otherwise) and simply rely on attacking the person, not the message.

Would you be OK if I roped a black lab by the neck?

If it had to be done,then yes.

Pastor of Muppets

July 16, 2012, 8:52 p.m.

If it had to be done,then yes.

Coo. Same answer if it were continuous, common-place and for entertainment purposes?