let's get shallow for a minute (fashion jeans thread...)

March 9, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

and take a break from all the angst, sadness and poli-sci battles for a moment.

so i'd like a new pair of jeans. happily worn double fronted carhartts and classic 501's all my life. maybe it's my advancing age that says, hey, while you look semi young why don't you get a pair of proper urban style jeans and see what that's all about. so i look around and check out some stores and being a total geek, i do some online research and i'm seeing a couple of 'schools' or 'camps'. sorta stylish but reasonably priced jeans of any number of brands, very 'trendy' stuff maybe 100-150 sort of. then i came across the real shit- selvedge, Japanese denim, made in the US or Japan, high fashion jeans that cost at least 250+. this stuff is the carbon super bikes of the denim world. was in Van and went to dutil denim and it's pretty wild. anyone here fancy themselves pretty and vain enough and go in for this kinda style? do they break in nicely and look even better with time? they are mighty thick and stiff.

March 9, 2016, 7:04 p.m.

and take a break from all the angst, sadness and poli-sci battles for a moment.

so i'd like a new pair of jeans. happily worn double fronted carhartts and classic 501's all my life. maybe it's my advancing age that says, hey, while you look semi young why don't you get a pair of proper urban style jeans and see what that's all about. so i look around and check out some stores and being a total geek, i do some online research and i'm seeing a couple of 'schools' or 'camps'. sorta stylish but reasonably priced jeans of any number of brands, very 'trendy' stuff maybe 100-150 sort of. then i came across the real shit- selvedge, Japanese denim, made in the US or Japan, high fashion jeans that cost at least 250+. this stuff is the carbon super bikes of the denim world. was in Van and went to dutil denim and it's pretty wild. anyone here fancy themselves pretty and vain enough and go in for this kinda style? do they break in nicely and look even better with time? they are mighty thick and stiff.

go to winners and find some decent fashion conscious jeans that are 1/2 the regular price.
or go to a sally ann thrift store and find some jems for like $15.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

Nudie

March 9, 2016, 7:20 p.m.

I've got a couple pairs of selvedge. One from Unbranded (low cost version of Naked and Famous) and a pair of Gustins. Both cost a little over a hundred bones. Gustin makes their jeans to order (think kickstarter) so choosing a size was a bit of process. I found Unbranded jeans at this shop in Surrey or something like that. They'll have a dealer locator on thier website though.

March 9, 2016, 7:23 p.m.

I will admit to owning some tsubi jeans ($450 a pair i think) back in the day when the skinny jeans on fellas was a trend. That said, given I am actually skinny, to me they were just well fitting jeans :D

Screw expensive clothes these days though, unless its useful for things I want to do outside.

March 9, 2016, 7:34 p.m.

Nudie

wow, was than an overrrated link.

March 9, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

in reality though, jeans are so yesterday, it's all about man leggings now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGJ5bhNEIg

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

wow, was than an overrrated link.

Who rated it high.

Let's get to the bottom of this.

March 9, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

I've owned a couple of pairs of fancy ($200ish) jeans, can't remember the brands. They were generally disappointing durability wise. Some had genuinely weird fits.

I've settled in on Levis 513 in some sort of dark wash for looking pretty classic and stylish at the same time.

March 9, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

whenever I get invited to a wedding I buy new carharts, pretty formal for the crowd i run with up here … and shows you really care

March 10, 2016, 12:30 a.m.

I like that New Chinese smell…so $25 or less per any item works for me…and I wear'em for yrs…lol
Marks' for work clothes tho.

March 10, 2016, 6:01 a.m.

Is "raw denim" that you can't wash for a year still a thing?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

March 10, 2016, 6:52 a.m.

I like Swrve jeans. Cut for cyclists, some stretch so you can actually move in them. Very comfy. I'm also looking at HebTroCo trousers.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

March 10, 2016, 7:29 a.m.

Levi's. Everything else is a copy. But some of those fashion jeans are just stupid awful. Hip pockets halfway down the leg and crooked? That said, I do like the fit and look of Kuhl jeans. Wears out fast though.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 10, 2016, 7:51 a.m.

Hermaphroditic acid-wash Mom Jeans with elastic waistband are the best. I have a closet full of them.