Leasing an Acura TL

Nov. 18, 2015, 9:20 a.m.

Mercedes costs big dollars to repair - FYI. A lot of times, you can only buy parts directly from MB and you are going to pay. My father bought himself an older collectible SL as a retirement gift, but got tired of the $150 air filters and everything else that is priced as if wrapped in gold.

You're going to need space when you have the little ones - so look at something that is easy for your wife to lift the baby in and out of the car seat, getting the stroller in and out easy (and it will leave marks), plus hauling the dog, groceries, etc. My wife loved my truck for baby hauling, she now calls it hers.

mini-van

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 18, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

Somehow I have the impression that Mercedes' don't cost much to run - their parts are pricey but they don't need 'em very often.

Does anyone know a website that compares models typical operating costs?

I hear ya on the easy loading etc. The Element is pretty bad for that according to friends who have used them - you basically have to climb entirely into the car to load the kid, there's no center position, and those clamshell doors…

I fuckin' love minivans actually. I actually suggested on when we got the Element, the wife balked, then I checked prices on AWD ones and balked myself. AWD Honda Odessy or Toyota so rad … just bring money… My truck may end up being a AWD Safari/Astro or Savanna/Express.

Nov. 18, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

i have a company lease vehicle. of the last 2 i have turned in not one did I think i could make any money buying out the residual and flipping it.

as in the real depreciation was equal to or more than than lease buy out.

prior to that I had leased truck i bought out. and sold 3 years later with 200k on it. the cost of ownership of the truck including repairs and depreciation came out to within 400 per year of the lease. that truck never had a major mechanical issue like a tranny or motor. so for an extra 30 bux a month I could have been driving a new truck. if it had more mech issues it would have been cheaper to lease an new one.

New vs Used car math of today is not quite the same as it was 20 years ago.

Nov. 18, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

i have a company lease vehicle. of the last 2 i have turned in not one did I think i could make any money buying out the residual and flipping it.

…snip…

The flip scenario I'm considering is purchasing a GM at employee prices, hold for 2-3 years, sell, repeat. My in-law that gets this pricing has done this three times now and come out slightly ahead each time. She was smart and bought discontinued models each time and got even bigger discounts. The price she gets at three years is the same as her initial cost as she's not paying retail. I'd have the same deal.

Nov. 18, 2015, 10:49 a.m.

Does anyone know a website that compares models typical operating costs?

Not a website, but check out the Lemonaide new and used car books to research typical issues, operating costs and repair costs. If you don't want to buy the books your library will have them.

Bought the last 3 vehicles using that info, 2 were used and 1 was new.

As for financing for new, we started with the idea of buying used (~2 or 3 years with less than 100K), but the price of used and the higher rate of financing, it was cheaper to buy new with a lower rate from the manufacturer. Was also able to use one of the recycle programs [HTML_REMOVED] employee pricing programs.

Nov. 18, 2015, 2:45 p.m.

Hey Tashi new mothers really like mini vans, the getting babies in/out, moving a car seat in/out is SO much easier thru that big sliding door which opens on remote control in a mini van, they can walk thru to grab or feed a fussing baby, the mini van can carry lotsa shit, is pretty comfy and stable to drive

and once they are done with babies they want an SUV to distance themsleves from the minivan thing

prior to that I had leased truck i bought out. and sold 3 years later with 200k on it. the cost of ownership of the truck including repairs and depreciation came out to within 400 per year of the lease. that truck never had a major mechanical issue like a tranny or motor. so for an extra 30 bux a month I could have been driving a new truck. if it had more mech issues it would have been cheaper to lease an new one.

New vs Used car math of today is not quite the same as it was 20 years ago.

I had a little book written by the pres of the autoleasing association of canada in which she gave the formula for figuring out which is cheaper … lease or buy

Basicly in times of very high interest rates of over 15% on a very short term lease as in [HTML_REMOVED] 2yrs which would mean very high lease payments leasing was cheaper than a car loan but of course we havent seen that in a good long time and money has been SO cheap to borrow for quite awhile

Nov. 18, 2015, 4:38 p.m.

alot has to do with how they write down the residule. one of the reasons GM got so deep into the shit back in 08 was they would lease the cars with too high a residual buy out.

gets the sale on the books and they get report high income. then when the owner returns it they have to sell it and take the loss. basically just shitty accounting shuffling paper around. but in a world of quarterly results this stuff happens. wouldn't surprise me if it still goes on, its too tempting for the big auto makers to show the big profit.

a lease is just a long term car rental

Nov. 19, 2015, 4:44 a.m.

Somehow I have the impression that Mercedes' don't cost much to run - their parts are pricey but they don't need 'em very often.

I have bought a used c class wagon 3 years ago. It was a former company car with complete service history. This didn't prevent age-related maintenance. As Zed stated, mercs don't go wrong often, but when they do, it's usually expensive.

Regular maintenance is the same as with any other car (honda, subaru), but if a part breaks, is suspension needs work.. that costs big money.

Nov. 19, 2015, 10:47 a.m.

$400 for a new battery. $1400 for a brake job. Almost $1000 for a B service, and $300 for an A service.

Very expensive.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 19, 2015, 7:20 p.m.

Bummer. I was hoping that they'd be some kind of miracle wagon. My father in law has loved his Mercs and keeps them for a long time. His idea of affordable is a bit different than mine however.

I could be an idiot and just get this:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/-Outdoors-limited-Edition-Volkswagen-Wagon-W8_26045679

I'll just tell the wife it's a nice safe AWD wagon. No I have no idea what that W8 means, or why you always seem to go 120km/hr everywhere now…

Nov. 20, 2015, 9:45 a.m.

Bummer. I was hoping that they'd be some kind of miracle wagon. My father in law has loved his Mercs and keeps them for a long time. His idea of affordable is a bit different than mine however.

I could be an idiot and just get this:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/-Outdoors-limited-Edition-Volkswagen-Wagon-W8_26045679

I'll just tell the wife it's a nice safe AWD wagon. No I have no idea what that W8 means, or why you always seem to go 120km/hr everywhere now…

That link didn't work for me, use this one instead:
http://usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/-Outdoors-limited-Edition-Volkswagen-Wagon-W8_26045679

Nov. 20, 2015, 11:58 a.m.

Strongly leaning towards leasing something as cheap as possible for 4 years and giving it back at the end. Frees up funds for a nicer truck for me that we can use for roadies and stuff and the desire to have AWD and big trunk on wifey's car.

Although when it's time to plunk down I'm going to look into cash purchasing a Chevy Sonic at family pricing and selling in 3ish years before it starts to go all GM on me.

Dang you can lease a Yaris cheap right now. $211 for 48months @ 0%. That kinda payment I'm alright with.

Although this is a lot cooler:

Nov. 20, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

I'm eyeing up a full size to replace my relatively young Taco and I can't seem to see past a Dodge with an Ecodiesel.

The Titan HD looks like it'll be way too much truck for hauling bikes and camping gear.

Nov. 20, 2015, 3:45 p.m.

Strongly leaning towards leasing something as cheap as possible for 4 years and giving it back at the end. .

Majin?

Nov. 20, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

I'm eyeing up a full size to replace my relatively young Taco and I can't seem to see past a Dodge with an Ecodiesel.

A friend bought the new Dodge. Riders pretty good, and is fairly nice inside. But the diesel option is quite a premium.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells