Leasing an Acura TL

Oct. 29, 2015, 6:14 a.m.

I miss stacy kohut

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 29, 2015, 6:31 a.m.

ok , if that is where this thread is going . . .

i miss that kinda crazy old guy who loved biking , and that stripper chick that he impregnated . she liked riding too .

oh yeah , she liked anal too .

she was nice . i met her a couple of times in the parking lot in whis .

Oct. 29, 2015, 8:31 a.m.

gansirbitch or something like that.

That was an epic thread.

Olive oil.

Oct. 29, 2015, 8:50 a.m.

ok , if that is where this thread is going . . .

i miss that kinda crazy old guy who loved biking , and that stripper chick that he impregnated . she liked riding too .

oh yeah , she liked anal too .

she was nice . i met her a couple of times in the parking lot in whis .

She's actually shacked up with another NSMB forum member, and they seem pretty happy together.

I tore down Simon's house.

Oct. 29, 2015, 10:01 a.m.

you tore down his house ? like , you pushed over his shopping cart ?

riding through san fran the other day , i couldn't believe the semi permanent structures some folks have put up , a lot of them under freeways . bicycles seems to be the common thread among them . some peeps even have a few outside , tho not all of them work :lol:

Oct. 29, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

Oct. 29, 2015, 1:40 p.m.

Do it again only paying cash versus lease versus loan.

Cash would of course be cheaper still than a loan but money is pretty cheap to borrow right now

there are actualy situations in which leasing is cheaper than a loan

Oct. 30, 2015, 3:57 p.m.

you tore down his house ? like , you pushed over his shopping cart ?

riding through san fran the other day , i couldn't believe the semi permanent structures some folks have put up , a lot of them under freeways . bicycles seems to be the common thread among them . some peeps even have a few outside , tho not all of them work :lol:

Maybe it was his moms, on river road.

Oct. 30, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

I tore down Simon's house.

I thought that was a metaphor, not literally

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 31, 2015, 3:18 a.m.

who's saying it still isn't

Oct. 31, 2015, 5:23 a.m.

who's saying it still isn't

So you tore up Simon's mom.

Nov. 18, 2015, 8:14 a.m.

Can I run this by y'all, I'm just starting to try and understand the world of financing.

Wifey and I currently have an aging Honda Element. Kid is on the way soon. We'll need two cars then and while she's pregnant - I figure we get a wagon/small SUV for her, I keep the Element for a while and then sell it a get a truck (I'm a carpenter so I drive to work mostly, carrying tools, kit, a dog and a bike a lot of days, plus side jobs).

She likes the idea of a new car, Honda CRV specifically as the Element has really been an amazingly reliable car, and she has the tendency to just throw money at something to solve a problem. We also have access to employee pricing on GM products - we'd probably get a Chevy Equinox V6 AWD in that case.

I think new cars are kinda stupid - why take on a depreciating asset that doesn't earn anything, particularly if you can't pay cash so you're paying financing charges at the same time. I'm kinda tempted by buying a new GM as the pricing available to me allows me to avoid the depreciation hit - my in-laws that are the hookup for this pricing just flip their car every two/three years and get back what they paid for it new. I'd just be locking up cash and incurring the interest. Also she'd be driving a GM, ugh.

We have no mortgage, but we do have a 5-figure line-of-credit against the house at prime plus one.

What makes sense to me is to buy a nice used car ($15-$20k), putting it on the line of credit. The way I understand it, car loans work out to about 4.5-6% from the manufacturer, cars we'd want would be around $450-$525/month (either lease or purchase financing) for a 5 year term, so going with a used car on the line of credit and monthly payments I'd be paid off faster, incurred less interest charges (am I right about this?) and paid less overall compared to buying/leasing new.

Am I right or am I missing something? I'm not sure I understand interest rates, the posted ones on auto manufacturer websites are kinda confusing - for example 0%, but 5.9% APR from GM - this means that there are just 5.9% worth of extra fees on my financing every year but the "base rate" is 0%?

O.T.: No I don't want an Acura TL. A CRV would be nice though.

Nov. 18, 2015, 8:53 a.m.

Sounds like you've done well for yourself and you don't like paying interest when you don't have to - all good. I generally buy new and plan on keeping the cars for at least ten years, so my opinion is different:

My opinion - If you are looking for a car to keep for a long time, buy that new Honda and be done with it. If you are looking for a GM for a short time, buy new and get rid of it as soon as warranty is over (buy extended warranty). Once you have the baby, the last thing you want to worry about is a problem with your car - that has a value to it, probably more than a little bit of financing charges.

Nov. 18, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

Thats my thinking with any car that costs more than $4k - amortize the outlay and financing/opportunity cost by keeping it as long as possible. That's what we're doing with the Element - got it with 30k/under a year old, it currently has 245k and starting to need larger repairs.

I have a hard time thinking that a GM product will age as well and we'd end up not trusting it for a while and ditching it too early for my liking.

I'm attracted to used because we could get a nicer car (6 year old low milage Mercedes AWD wagon anyone?) that could offer similar longevity and reliability to a new Honda while avoiding the cost and depreciation.

Nov. 18, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

Mercedes costs big dollars to repair - FYI. A lot of times, you can only buy parts directly from MB and you are going to pay. My father bought himself an older collectible SL as a retirement gift, but got tired of the $150 air filters and everything else that is priced as if wrapped in gold.

You're going to need space when you have the little ones - so look at something that is easy for your wife to lift the baby in and out of the car seat, getting the stroller in and out easy (and it will leave marks), plus hauling the dog, groceries, etc. My wife loved my truck for baby hauling, she now calls it hers.