Laptops

June 6, 2017, 12:50 p.m.

So, 256GB of SSD is moar better than 1TB of HD becawse?

Besides lighter and, no moving parts?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 6, 2017, 1:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 6, 2017, 1:29 p.m.

Lighter, no moving parts, less prone to failure.  If you need more storage than that, you can get something external.  The wife just got a laptop with 512 SSD.  Unless she fills it with photographs from her travels, I dont see her running into storage problems.

June 6, 2017, 8:27 p.m.

Yeah cool I likey the lighter thing since it'll spend most of its time balancing on my stomach but the one I liked at BB got panned 'cause unlike shown online it had a funny keyboard with a buncha' French characters when a reviewer asked sales asso. there why they told him all the laptops at BB had frenchy keyboards which reviewer said was a bald faced lie as there was HPs and Lenovos in very said store without french buggered keyboards!

Why does that remind me of my last purchase experience at BB? lol...

Last edited by: tungsten on June 6, 2017, 8:29 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 6, 2017, 11:03 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

So, 256GB of SSD is moar better than 1TB of HD becawse?

Besides lighter and, no moving parts?

The SSD is absolutely going to be better, until you have more than 256GB of stuff you try to put on it.  Depending on how you use it, it might make a lot more sense to with an external media drive (which are cheap, replaceable, you can make duplicates of, and are useful for backing stuff up).  I find that I only need 256GB of storage that I really use frequently (a Windows OS partition with the collection of productivity, video editing, gaming, and school/work related software takes up about 150GB.  I can store the music I actually listen to and a dozen favorite movies, and have room to spare).
What hogs space is backups (Acronis backup files), and mostly videos/movies... unless you're a photog, then it's the raw quantity of pictures (and duplicates in various states of processing).

June 7, 2017, 8:30 a.m.

Funny no one from the steve jobs cult chimed in. I walked away from their product a few years ago.....

June 7, 2017, 8:30 a.m.

Funny no one from the steve jobs cult chimed in. I walked away from their product a few years ago.....

June 7, 2017, 8:46 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Actually I did chime in.  Didnt see the need to point out what the brand was when he was asking about SSD drives.

June 7, 2017, 11:32 a.m.

Asus 501u have descent battery it is light and have additional graphic card if you want play some games.

June 7, 2017, 6:27 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

You can say that again...

USA has way better deals.  You can get an awesome Lenovo for $700 to $1000 at US Costco online.

Sometimes Dell online has sales.  Also, Microsoft online (Canada) will occasionally have pretty good sales.

Best Buy currently has a sale on laptops (ends tomorrow).  There are some decent systems in the $500 to $700 range.

June 9, 2017, 7:12 p.m.

A lot of Apple advocates are annoyed with Apple these days.  I'm into heavier programs that require a fairly robust CPU and memory. To get the combination I would need in a Mac would be ridiculously expensive in comparison to a PC.   Plus Windows 10 is actually pretty solid.  

To the original poster- For surfing the web and watching youtube I would stick with something like a Chromebook instead a full on laptop.