Lanolin Oil/Fishoiliene (Rust Content)

Nov. 27, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

Check with IFO on what he used on the body work of his Lincoln.

In the fall I did some rust prevention work on the frame and suspension my van and used rust-stop spray paint (from Home Depot), followed by a commercial undercoating spray (from Lordco).

Nov. 27, 2011, 4:04 p.m.

^ Will do! Thanks.

After a bit of searching around I've found that essentially an oil/wax compound is best as it seeps everywhere and the wax leaves a nice protective film. Waxoyl and Noxudol seem the be the preferred brands.

Sober

Nov. 28, 2011, 4:33 a.m.

rust is inevitable brah.

don't run it in the winter.

Nov. 28, 2011, 8:37 a.m.

keep an eye out for the wax building up and closing off drain holes, the water can puddle and rust from the inside out. happened on my hatch from the previous owner.

Nov. 28, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

rust is inevitable brah.

don't run it in the winter.

This is the reality. And you shouldnt need a special tool to get oil on everything, Metal is porous and will absorb the oil. If it is already undercoated, don't lube it up. If you really need something to get into nooks and shit my first thought is a dollar store turkey baster or a syringe and some tubing.

Or you could bring it to hecklers "rust proofing" shop and have them preform an anti corrosion voodoo dance, but your money is still better spent on fortune cookies because at least you can eat them.

Nov. 28, 2011, 10:10 a.m.

Mix up your own rust proof from diesel fuel and old used motor oil. Not sure what the perfect ratio is but farmers have been using that as their own cheap rust proof for years.

You'll be dripping oil for at least a day after you spray anything on it so don't park in your own driveway or anywhere you don't want a nice ring of oil drips.

Nov. 28, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

Or you could bring it to hecklers "rust proofing" shop and have them preform an anti corrosion voodoo dance, but your money is still better spent on fortune cookies because at least you can eat them.

LOL you didn't grow up in the east. Rust proofing works no debate. The new car manufactures are doing a better job of putting on a better undercoat, but if you lived in Ontario outside of Toronto and bought a new car in the early 90's and wanted it to survive 10 years you got it sprayed when new and again every couple of years.

It ain't voodoo.

Nov. 28, 2011, 10:24 a.m.

The blow-by exhaust pipe (and associated oil deflector) fell off my block, and it was a couple weeks until I sourced a new one. Took about 5L to spray out and creep down under the truck and back up the rear hatch. MMMm used diesel oil. Also put in a few extra pumps of grease whenever I lube the drivetrain, throws the excess all over the place. /redneck

Spring temps and parking your vehicle in a garage will cause the most rust. Things don't rust much when it's below 0.

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

Nov. 29, 2011, 12:31 a.m.

Spring temps and parking your vehicle in a garage will cause the most rust. Things don't rust much when it's below 0.

good point. i never thought about that!