Lanolin Oil/Fishoiliene (Rust Content)

Nov. 26, 2011, 3:51 p.m.

Does anyone know where I can buy lanolin oil or fishoilene in bulk sizes locally? I have no idea on where to even start inquiring.

I'm using it as a rust preventative for all the nooks and crannies on my car. Alternatively, I've been told that engine or gear oil is what the old school crowd used?

Sober

Nov. 26, 2011, 4:02 p.m.

used motor oil, cheap and plentiful and pisses the hippies off when you talk about it, but of course none of them will ever know that it's on your car when you drive by.

Seriously, what more do you need to know? It works great and costs you nothing the next time you do an oil change

Nov. 26, 2011, 4:07 p.m.

What did you use to spray it on? Don't have access to an air compressor unfortunately but I was thinking something like this plus an extra length of hose to feed into my framerails and rocker panels.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sprayer-1-gallon-translucent-white-polyethylene-tank/942021

Sober

Nov. 26, 2011, 4:08 p.m.

The only Lanolin I know is in my wife's nipple cream

Nov. 26, 2011, 4:11 p.m.

The only Lanolin I know is in my wife's nipple cream

True story

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 26, 2011, 4:13 p.m.

I used an oil pump gun and let it run all over the place then mopped what was left with a rag. This was on an older jeep so I didn't care too much, you might want to figure something a little more hi-tech if you've got a fancy car.

What area are you hoping to rust-proof? If it's just the corners of body seams then use an oil pump gun like I suggested, it'll run into the cracks real well. If you're hoping to undercoat the bottom of your car with motor oil to prevent rust I'd just look into getting it professionally undercoated, if you're car or truck leaks alot of oil anyways you're saving money since it's a self lubricating drivetrain/free undercoating every time you top up the oil.

just my redneck .02

Nov. 26, 2011, 4:26 p.m.

I'll be hitting the inside of the framerails, inner fender wells, rocker panels, etc.

Contraption like this seems to work well for the framerails:

Sober

Nov. 26, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

Fluid film works great for rust prevention

Nov. 26, 2011, 7:22 p.m.

has vancouver never heard of going to a rustproofing shop and having it done properly, or are you guys just cheap?

I'm actually curious, because I've never heard of a rustproofing shop out here, whereas out east you have to do it every fall if you don't want your car to fall apart in 8 years.

Nov. 26, 2011, 8:22 p.m.

why not use paint? Isnt paint mostly used in a lot of industries (marine ect) to precent rust? its cheap and easy to find as well. Also comes in spray form in a can and Can.Tire has anti rust spray paint as well.

Nov. 26, 2011, 8:52 p.m.

How long do you plan on owning this vehicle? What year is the vehicle? If you are going to own it more than 10 years then yes do some kind of rush proofing. If you cherish the vehicle then only drive it in the summer and buy and junker for the winter. If you are going to own it for a few years then sinking any money into it is a waste of time and money in my opinion because the vehicle with depreciate and any money put into it will be lost. If you still want to spray oil on the frame rails go for it and just use the cheapest oil you can find and do a couple of applications a year. I am hoping you don't do any wrenching on the vehicle because it will be a mess under there.

Good luck and show us some pix of what you do.

Nov. 26, 2011, 8:53 p.m.

Yeah just spray some crappy tire rust proof paint on the areas that might rust. It'll look like shit but there's a chance it could work. Comes in spray form now? What is that like a windex bottle or what?

tommrorow. mom took the van/

Nov. 26, 2011, 9:40 p.m.

Fluid film works great for rust prevention

I forgot…fluid film is lanolin oil.

Thoes electronic doohickeys work fairly well too.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 26, 2011, 10:15 p.m.

Car's from 1973. Already been restored and I'd like to keep it in its current condition.

Paint won't work as the areas I'm looking to rust-proof aren't easily accessible at all, much less surface prep.

So, fluid film, where to buy?

Sober

Nov. 26, 2011, 11:19 p.m.

has vancouver never heard of going to a rustproofing shop and having it done properly, or are you guys just cheap?

I'm actually curious, because I've never heard of a rustproofing shop out here, whereas out east you have to do it every fall if you don't want your car to fall apart in 8 years.

Maybe if Vancouver actually got snow and they only used a billion tonnes of rock salt on the roads.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/