Lane discipline (rant)

May 12, 2022, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: switch

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Holy crap. I never realized what a worn out piece of shit the expo line was. You need earplugs just to ride the damn thing.

You meaning high pitch screeching and "cla clunk cla clunk" doesn't lull you to sleep?  That line has been terrible for a long time.

Since it was built.

Maybe they could do a beautification project and put little gardens in the middle of the trains to create a more welcoming atmosphere to help people relax?

They can fit a bike lane in the middle of the tracks right?

May 12, 2022, 7:55 p.m.

Posted by: Shaboob

Every morning when I’m getting on the highway heading West at the Lynn valley exit someone in front of me will try to merge onto the highway going about 40kmh. If you or your car don’t have the balls to get up to the speed of traffic and not cause an accident then just get on at Lonsdale.

That is a nice short on ramp though. 

I actually miss the lil 50 foot on ramp at Clearbrook out in Abby. Talk about running the gauntlet.

May 14, 2022, 7:05 a.m.

Every morning when I’m getting on the highway heading West at the Lynn valley exit someone in front of me will try to merge onto the highway going about 40kmh. If you or your car don’t have the balls to get up to the speed of traffic and not cause an accident then just get on at Lonsdale.

That's the worst zone on my commute. Between the 40k mergers, and the fact that nobody realizes it's a yeild for the mergers, complete shit show.

May 14, 2022, 1:36 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

That's the worst zone on my commute. Between the 40k mergers, and the fact that nobody realizes it's a yeild for the mergers, complete shit show.

Perhaps getting on at Lonsdale instead would avoid the 40 kmh mergers and spare you from the frustration every morning.

May 14, 2022, 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Perhaps getting on at Lonsdale instead would avoid the 40 kmh mergers and spare you from the frustration every morning.

Ignoring difficult situations and thereby allowing them to continue and fester is a good way to destroy a society. I think  a better solution would be roof mounted rocket launchers and flame throwers. Remove the scourge from society instead.

May 15, 2022, 4:59 p.m.

Made the mistake of getting onto the "merge" lane at Capilano/99 West in a fully loaded Isuzu cab over. Why on Earth is that a yield? At least I know better now.

May 15, 2022, 6:05 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

Made the mistake of getting onto the "merge" lane at Capilano/99 West in a fully loaded Isuzu cab over. Why on Earth is that a yield? At least I know better now.

That on-ramp dates back to when there were traffic lights at Lonsdale and Hwy 1.  

Significantly less traffic back then.  Now it’s a destroyer of N00Bs.

May 16, 2022, 11:17 a.m.

No, this is "heading west" off the Lynn Valley exit, so going the opposite direction you're referring to.

Last edited by: mammal on May 16, 2022, 11:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 16, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

That on-ramp dates back to when there were traffic lights at Lonsdale and Hwy 1.  

It's similar to most on-ramps where far too many people wait until they get to the merge point to accelerate and get up to highway speed. It comes down to a lack of knowledge/awareness and confidence.

May 16, 2022, 12:16 p.m.

No, this is "heading west" off the Lynn Valley exit, so going the opposite direction you're referring to.

Perhaps I misunderstood but Shaboob suggested the 40 kmh mergers should get on at Lonsdale instead.

My point is that given that the 40 kmh mergers are apparently there clogging up the Lynn Valley entrance every morning, it's unlikely they will follow up on this suggestion and it's likely they will continue to be a source of frustration. Therefore, I suggested those frustrated by the slow mergers may avoid the situation altogether by getting on at Lonsdale themselves.

Anyway, that's what I would do (if commuting at a less busy time or avoiding the car commute altogether are not possible). YMMV.

Last edited by: [email protected] on May 16, 2022, 12:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 16, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

Perhaps I misunderstood but Shaboob suggested the 40 kmh mergers should get on at Lonsdale instead.

My point is that given that the 40 kmh mergers are apparently there clogging up the Lynn Valley entrance every morning, it's unlikely they will follow up on this suggestion and it's likely they will continue to be a source of frustration. Therefore, I suggested those frustrated by the slow mergers may avoid the situation altogether by getting on at Lonsdale themselves.

Anyway, that's what I would do (if commuting at a less busy time or avoiding the car commute altogether are not possible). YMMV.

Even if you get on at Lonsdale, you still have to drive past the plug up at Lynne Valley.

A merge point that is very short, on a corner, and right before a big hill is a terrible design.

May 16, 2022, 5:12 p.m.

Posted by: switch

A merge point that is very short, on a corner, and right before a big hill is a terrible design.

It is a crappy design, but there's no reason people shouldn't be able to get up to speed so they are merging onto the highway at the same pace as traffic. The other part of the problem is that people on the freeway usually don't leave enough space to allow cars to merge easily. It only takes one nitwit to mess it up.

May 16, 2022, 5:28 p.m.

Back to the rocket launcher idea then.

May 16, 2022, 5:35 p.m.

Back to the rocket launcher idea then.

At least it provides a certain level of entertainment.

May 16, 2022, 9:27 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

It's similar to most on-ramps where far too many people wait until they get to the merge point to accelerate and get up to highway speed. It comes down to a lack of knowledge/awareness and confidence.

270 degree round with shit visibility until the last 100m?  It’s a relic dude.  It’s now a 0-100 test.  Super sketch with the volume now.