Lane discipline (rant)

May 10, 2022, 7:45 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

A long time ago a boss of mine who drove slowly said that it wasn’t worth going fast. I’ll get there when I get there he said. There is no rush. It took about 40 years for me to get to that point. I tend to use cruise control set to 8 k over the limit. And leave early enough to get where I’m going on time. On the Sea to Sky I learned that driving fast simply got me to the slow cars faster and is I’d be waiting for the passing lane longer. It makes little time difference overall.

This is the way. It took me 26 years of driving to get here, and definitely helped along by living/commuting in Greater Van, but it's a safer and less stressful mindset. I have a 30min morning commute and 45min afternoon commute, and I probably safe 5 minutes max driving like a maniac and getting home all stressed out. Forget that, put on something you like to listen to and just cruise along.

May 10, 2022, 9:35 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

A long time ago a boss of mine who drove slowly said that it wasn’t worth going fast. I’ll get there when I get there he said. There is no rush. It took about 40 years for me to get to that point. I tend to use cruise control set to 8 k over the limit. And leave early enough to get where I’m going on time. On the Sea to Sky I learned that driving fast simply got me to the slow cars faster and is I’d be waiting for the passing lane longer. It makes little time difference overall.

This is the way. It took me 26 years of driving to get here, and definitely helped along by living/commuting in Greater Van, but it's a safer and less stressful mindset. I have a 30min morning commute and 45min afternoon commute, and I probably safe 5 minutes max driving like a maniac and getting home all stressed out. Forget that, put on something you like to listen to and just cruise along.

I found Audiobooks were my savior on the Sea to Sky.  I got an Audible subscription and I would plow through books on my daily 1 hr x 2 commute.  Once I was into a good "read" I had zero interest in fighting the F-150s to get there first and like you said, it made almost no difference to my arrival time anyway.

May 10, 2022, 3:30 p.m.

The drivers holding up traffic are annoying, but it's the tailgaters that really make me shake my head. They typically ride my bumper for a while, then cut in front of me and end up tailgating the car in front of me.  Happens all the time.

May 10, 2022, 3:32 p.m.

I give up. With these gas prices I'm gonna start taking transit. Expect a similarly unhinged thread in a couple weeks on the behavior of transit users.

May 10, 2022, 3:49 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I found Audiobooks were my savior on the Sea to Sky.  I got an Audible subscription and I would plow through books on my daily 1 hr x 2 commute.  Once I was into a good "read" I had zero interest in fighting the F-150s to get there first and like you said, it made almost no difference to my arrival time anyway.

I'm the opposite. I usually do a few rails of coke before my commute and then crank up the Megadeath or something similar for the sprint to wherever it is I'm going. The sacrificial humans strapped to the front fender helps ward off pedestrians from doing anything stupid and the air horn from a cruise ship is effective at getting people out of my way when I want to pass. Overall it provides for a fairly enjoyable commute. 

May 10, 2022, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I give up. With these gas prices I'm gonna start taking transit. Expect a similarly unhinged thread in a couple weeks on the behavior of transit users.

Just be sure to keep the elbows out or drop a shoulder when exiting the train as people seem to think those who need to exit the train don't actually need to leave before the new riders get on.

May 11, 2022, 10:37 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I'm the opposite. I usually do a few rails of coke before my commute and then crank up the Megadeath or something similar for the sprint to wherever it is I'm going. The sacrificial humans strapped to the front fender helps ward off pedestrians from doing anything stupid and the air horn from a cruise ship is effective at getting people out of my way when I want to pass. Overall it provides for a fairly enjoyable commute. 

LMAO.  I only use that technique for late night drives.

May 11, 2022, 10:42 a.m.

Two things sorted me out:

1. I watched other cars on my commute and where they ended up relative to me.  By the time I had been driving for 15 minutes in heavy traffic the mellow guy was usually right near me no matter how many hot moves I’d pulled.

2.  My dog was killed by a car.  It wasn’t on a road but a job site, but it hammered home to me in the most painful way possible how fucking dangerous cars can be when they bump a fleshy body the wrong way, and just how easily that can happen.

(To be clear: I’m not a total puss now, just a grown up; I still like to let ‘er rip when I’m in the ‘Benz on a quiet road with no kids in the car…)

May 11, 2022, 3:17 p.m.

Holy crap. I never realized what a worn out piece of shit the expo line was. You need earplugs just to ride the damn thing.

May 11, 2022, 4:02 p.m.

With gas at $2.15 I don't have to worry much about driving fast.

May 11, 2022, 4:07 p.m.

Holy crap. I never realized what a worn out piece of shit the expo line was. You need earplugs just to ride the damn thing.

Ya man. As the kids say these days, it's clapped out.  The other day was I in the 1200 block of e Broadway and around but I could hear it grinding along from there. I don't think headphones would cover the noise either.

May 12, 2022, 12:05 p.m.

You meaning high pitch screeching and "cla clunk cla clunk" doesn't lull you to sleep?  That line has been terrible for a long time.

May 12, 2022, 1:20 p.m.

Every morning when I’m getting on the highway heading West at the Lynn valley exit someone in front of me will try to merge onto the highway going about 40kmh. If you or your car don’t have the balls to get up to the speed of traffic and not cause an accident then just get on at Lonsdale.

May 12, 2022, 1:59 p.m.

You meaning high pitch screeching and "cla clunk cla clunk" doesn't lull you to sleep?  That line has been terrible for a long time.

Since it was built.

May 12, 2022, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Since it was built.

Maybe they could do a beautification project and put little gardens in the middle of the trains to create a more welcoming atmosphere to help people relax?