Lane discipline (rant)

May 7, 2022, 10:07 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: three-sheets

Isnt the speed limit 90 anyways through that stretch of hwy?

You might argue that anyone faster than 90 is breaking the law, but those staying in the left lane when others are trying to go faster are *also* breaking the law. 

It may be against the law, but with zero traffic enforcement in this city, and SO MANY people not giving 2 shits about the actual motor vehicle laws, you might as well forget about it. The cops might set up the odd speed trap, but even that is extremely uncommon, and the lack of respect for laws and the fellow driver is a direct result of the lack of enforcement and "me" syndrome in the big shitty. 

I started to chill the F out when I bought a hybrid. Competition against my commuting time and against fellow drivers became a competition for best fuel mileage. Stress levels instantly decrease dramatically and safer driving habits resulted as a side effect. I now usually operate between 0-15km over the limit, and yes, I'm always very aware about left/right lane protocol. But I know better than to expect the same from the average driver in this city, and I'm way better for it.

I believe it was the CBC that recently did a report on how bad drivers have become since the pandemic began. As I recall the story went to Vancouver, Toronto, and a few other locations with the same stories of driving gone to shit. Also the story included footage of the 2015 incident where that driver was killed at Oak and 41st. Showed the speeding driver who ran the light hit the other car so hard it sent it across the intersection and into the Petro Can. Hit was at 119 kmh. supposedly. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7370030/ken-chung-high-speed-crash-alphonsus-hui/

Same story they interviewed a Toronto Attorney who deals with this stuff  where drivers maim and kill.  Basically said publicly that it if you want to get away with killing someone.....Drive a car. I believe him after the stuff seen and heard.

May 8, 2022, 6:35 a.m.

Some of y’all’s really need to re-read neils post again. Since you literally can’t do anything to fix this shit, take responsibility for your reaction to it instead.

May 8, 2022, 9:50 a.m.

I can follow half those instructions of Neil's. I can just accept the slower pace and stay out of the left lane altogether thus not adding any extra danger but as the symphony of idiocy rolls on just next to you I admit I find it challenging to not get upset about it. Especially when I have a camper directly to my left who seems bent on matching my speed so we stay alongside eachother no matter if I speed up or slow down.

May 8, 2022, 10:27 a.m.

If we're bitching about dumb ass traffic performances, can we talk about the idiots that will drive 50-60km/h in the curvy bits but then gun it to 110 in every passing lane thus making it super extra unsafe to pass them.

Fuck those guys.

May 8, 2022, 11:47 a.m.

yeah buddy pulls up right next to me in a passing lane and sits there, so either I brake/ speed up/ or hit him  so i gun it and he right back behind me where he was, the next time he does the proper pass so he must have got the idea

I just got off a hotshot to ft mac  (AKA mordor) in a new chev duramax, fully loaded or empty its got  more than enough power to pass anything

May 8, 2022, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

If we're bitching about dumb ass traffic performances, can we talk about the idiots that will drive 50-60km/h in the curvy bits but then gun it to 110 in every passing lane thus making it super extra unsafe to pass them.

Fuck those guys.

You can just say “Albertans”.

May 8, 2022, 1:32 p.m.

I was gunna say tourists, but yeah. You're not doing anyone any favours by going fast when people could pass you.

May 8, 2022, 2:41 p.m.

Fuck those guys.

You be lucky that you didn't have to drive the old island highway.  It caused a lot of ulcers.

May 8, 2022, 2:50 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Fuck those guys.

You be lucky that you didn't have to drive the old island highway.  It caused a lot of ulcers.

It's the same thing between McNeill and Campbell now.. 

I can only imagine how much it would have sucked back in the day.i drive the old way for fun now cause its deserted

May 8, 2022, 4:14 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I admit I find it challenging to not get upset about it.

It takes practice. Try to focus on what's within your control instead of on what's not.

Seriously, it's a very useful life skill to have for when you have to deal with real problems.

May 9, 2022, 11:32 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

It takes practice. Try to focus on what's within your control instead of on what's not.

Seriously, it's a very useful life skill to have for when you have to deal with real problems.

Thanks dad. Got any more wisdom for this emotional and entitled teenager who has never faced a real problem?

May 9, 2022, 12:50 p.m.

Thanks dad. Got any more wisdom for this emotional and entitled teenager who has never faced a real problem?

Lighten up son ;-)

(FWIW my previous post was not meant to be condescending, I'm sorry if it came across like that)

May 9, 2022, 1:07 p.m.

A long time ago a boss of mine who drove slowly said that it wasn’t worth going fast. I’ll get there when I get there he said. There is no rush. It took about 40 years for me to get to that point. I tend to use cruise control set to 8 k over the limit. And leave early enough to get where I’m going on time. On the Sea to Sky I learned that driving fast simply got me to the slow cars faster and is I’d be waiting for the passing lane longer. It makes little time difference overall.

Someone said a sign board for the back window. Nah. Big speaker in the grill and a microphone to shout instructions. "HEY, THE FLAT ONE ON THE RIGHT MAKES THE CAR GO. USE IT" "WHAT PART OF KEEP LEFT EXCEPT TO PASS DOES NOT REGISTER WITH YOU" "ARE YOU PASSING YOUR IMAGINARY FRIEND BECAUSE I DON’T SEE ANYONE ON THE RIGHT". And so forth. Could be cathartic and possibly fun.

I knew a guy that had dropped a Capri V6 into his VW van. He was cut off on the way to Interbike in California. Buddy didn’t know the bus could go fast. Buddy also didn’t know that the bus had a urinal which consisted of a funnel and rubber hose to the rear wheel well. It was used the by the passengers who were drinking a few pops. Laughter ensued when buddy switched on his wipers while rubbernecking out his windows looking for rain clouds in a sunny sky.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on May 9, 2022, 1:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2022, 1:10 p.m.

So left lane drivers are not the only thing you get overly emotional about...

May 9, 2022, 4:18 p.m.

Posted by: switch

So left lane drivers are not the only thing you get overly emotional about...

If you're gonna play therapist can you at least write me some prescriptions?