Lane discipline (rant)

May 5, 2022, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: [email protected]

If those drivers are really there every day doing 90 in the left lane like you say, your options are:

• Keep getting upset about them. Rant about it in NBR.
  • Don't give them any thought and just pass them on the right.
  • Slow down to 90 yourself and go with the flow. Save gas, money, and the environment. You'll be home a few minutes later worst case but won't be upset at the other drivers.

The point being that "the flow" is greater than 90, and most are going with the flow. It only takes one to disrupt said flow.

My point is to cultivate some equanimity and not let the disruption affect your state of mind, given that the slower drivers sticking to the left lane are there whether you like it or not.

May 5, 2022, 12:45 p.m.

Isnt the speed limit 90 anyways through that stretch of hwy?

May 5, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

If those drivers are really there every day doing 90 in the left lane like you say, your options are:

• Keep getting upset about them. Rant about it in NBR.
  • Don't give them any thought and just pass them on the right.
  • Slow down to 90 yourself and go with the flow. Save gas, money, and the environment. You'll be home a few minutes later worst case but won't be upset at the other drivers.

This is what I learned after 9 years of commuting on the Sea to Sky but that is only a personal choice for my own sanity.  Those left lane lovers make the road more dangerous for everyone because the hot heads make some pretty reckless moves after being stuck behind them for 10 minutes.  Between Horseshoe Bay and Lions Bay going North can be quite the sphincter clenching experience sometimes.

May 5, 2022, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

My first experience driving in Europe really opened my eyes as to how horribly selfish we North Americans are at driving.

Yup, the Europeans get it. The UK, not so much...

(Oh yeah, the Brits are not European anymore though that never mattered anyway...)

May 5, 2022, 6:13 p.m.

Since it's a driving rant I'll go in the opposite direction and ask everyone to fold their damn mirror's when parked.

Specially if you have a trade van. Me and my swat truck are not fond of you.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on May 5, 2022, 6:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2022, 6:14 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: three-sheets

Maybe they are closet cyclists!

Cyclists tend to stay to the right.

Suuuure they do.

May 5, 2022, 6:24 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Since it's a driving rant I'll go in the opposite direction and ask everyone to fold their damn mirror's when parked.

And your feelings on tow mirrors?

May 5, 2022, 6:56 p.m.

it's to the Island for you.  

I agree, please save me a spot.

May 5, 2022, 7:54 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

And your feelings on tow mirrors?

If they're actually towing something and moving, no problem. But if they're never towing and extended out for no reason while parked... they're either asking for an accidental removal or they may ask me what I'm doing as I either fold them in or unextend them / push them in. Which has happened in two alleys in the west end. 

Amazon drivers are also my enemies since they park like taxis and never ever fold the mirrors in. But either do city work trucks and the majority of trade vehicles.

May 5, 2022, 8:34 p.m.

You might argue that anyone faster than 90 is breaking the law, but those staying in the left lane when others are trying to go faster are *also* breaking the law. To wit, BC MVA, [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 318 Part 3, Section 151.1 ...

When drivers must not use leftmost lane

151.1 (1)In this section, "leftmost lane", in relation to a laned roadway to which this section applies, means the lane that is furthest to the left of the marked lanes available for traffic proceeding in the same direction, other than

(a)a bus lane,

(b)a high occupancy vehicle lane, or

(c)a designated use lane.

(2)This section applies to a laned roadway if

(a)there are 2 or more marked lanes available for traffic proceeding in the same direction, other than a bus lane, a high  occupancy vehicle lane or a designated use lane,

(b)the speed limit is at least 80 km/h, and

(c)the actual speed of traffic is at least 50 km/h.

(3)A driver of a vehicle in the leftmost lane must exit the lane on the approach of another vehicle in that lane, if it is safe to do so, except when

(a)overtaking and passing a third vehicle,

(b)allowing traffic to merge,

(c)preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into an exit, a private road or a driveway, or

(d)passing an official vehicle stopped on the side of or on the roadway.

https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96318_05\#section151.1

Last edited by: KenN on May 5, 2022, 8:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2022, 9:01 a.m.

Do people here actually obey the exact limit?  I typically drive about 10 to 15 over the limit on the highway because in my 33 years of driving I have never been ticketed with anything less than 20 over.  Also, the Sea to Sky is set at an unnatural 80 KPH.  

Posted by: Shogun

I would also ask people with tow hitches to remove them when on the ferry if you are not towing.  My shins will be forever grateful.

May 6, 2022, 9:53 a.m.

I want an led board on my rear window that can say rude things to people who left lane camp when I finally manage to get around them.

I've been wanting to make up a simple Arduino-based controller for something like that for around 8 years now. It would be awesome to have about 10-15 preset "messages" to share with fellow drivers. A simple magnet-based, 2-sided digital readout that you can throw on the roof when you want it (with reverse readout on the front for the person up front to read in their mirror).

May 6, 2022, 10:34 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

I want an led board on my rear window that can say rude things to people who left lane camp when I finally manage to get around them.

I've been wanting to make up a simple Arduino-based controller for something like that for around 8 years now. It would be awesome to have about 10-15 preset "messages" to share with fellow drivers. A simple magnet-based, 2-sided digital readout that you can throw on the roof when you want it (with reverse readout on the front for the person up front to read in their mirror).

I almost did this with an old LED sign that we had collecting dust in my office about 12 years ago.  My colleagues talked me out of it since I already had a bit of an issue with flipping people off.  I have never had any road rage issues, I usually got a good laugh out of it, but I was pretty good at instigating the rage in others.  I doubt a scrolling message telling drivers to F off would have led to anything good.  Perhaps your messages will be a little more gentle but I couldn't trust myself.

May 6, 2022, 8:25 p.m.

When I was committing into Burnaby with some friends, one had a convertible 5 litre and we just went with cardboard signs to hold up. Just the classic learn to drive and buy another license type.

May 7, 2022, 10:52 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

You might argue that anyone faster than 90 is breaking the law, but those staying in the left lane when others are trying to go faster are *also* breaking the law. 

It may be against the law, but with zero traffic enforcement in this city, and SO MANY people not giving 2 shits about the actual motor vehicle laws, you might as well forget about it. The cops might set up the odd speed trap, but even that is extremely uncommon, and the lack of respect for laws and the fellow driver is a direct result of the lack of enforcement and "me" syndrome in the big shitty. 

I started to chill the F out when I bought a hybrid. Competition against my commuting time and against fellow drivers became a competition for best fuel mileage. Stress levels instantly decrease dramatically and safer driving habits resulted as a side effect. I now usually operate between 0-15km over the limit, and yes, I'm always very aware about left/right lane protocol. But I know better than to expect the same from the average driver in this city, and I'm way better for it.