Lane discipline (rant)

May 4, 2022, 4:17 p.m.

So I've been working in Surrey living in Mt. Pleasant which means I get to spend more time in my car. (Barf)

I take highway 1 home every day and the number of people just coasting along in the left lane at 90 is mind-boggling. They'll have no cars in front of them for miles and a huge line of traffic behind them...and..and...they're just fine to sit there in so many people's way like it doesn't bother them or make them uncomfortable in the slightest.

I cannot comprehend the mentality that allows someone to be so obstructive and not care. I guess some would say they're oblivious but slower traffic keep right is such a global universal rule I don't buy it. They must be intentionally trying to control the general speed of traffic. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Anyways just curious why most people don't get out of the way of faster drivers and it really does seem to be most people. Or is it that the 3 lane stretch of highway 1 after the Port Mann is the kind of road where the keep right rule isn't a thing like in the city? I want an led board on my rear window that can say rude things to people who left lane camp when I finally manage to get around them.

www.natooke.com

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 4, 2022, 4:18 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 4, 2022, 5:01 p.m.

Your car should have a working horn.  Use it.

May 4, 2022, 6:32 p.m.

Just poach the hov lane. I’m back and forth to UBC from Mission for the next several months. For the bit of time it saves me I’ll gladly cough up a hundred bucks. But yes, the left lane Louie’s that pace the car next to them while leaving a football field between them and the car in front should be vaporized with your phase cannons. Shields up mr Sulu.

May 4, 2022, 8:08 p.m.

There was a guy going pretty slow in the far left lane coming back from the shore last Saturday on the freeway. I honked multiple times while behind him, no reaction. Switched to the lane to the right / got beside him & honked, no reaction. He was busy playing with his dash mounted cellphone. Did not look around once, I guess he was in his own little world. I finally had enough, passed him & pulled back into the fast lane. As I pulled away I could see many people doing the same. Even minutes later I could see he was still there. Those people should not be allowed to drive. I wonder how people like that got their driver's licenses.

May 4, 2022, 8:42 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

There was a guy going pretty slow in the far left lane coming back from the shore last Saturday on the freeway. I honked multiple times while behind him, no reaction. Switched to the lane to the right / got beside him & honked, no reaction. He was busy playing with his dash mounted cellphone. Did not look around once, I guess he was in his own little world. I finally had enough, passed him & pulled back into the fast lane. As I pulled away I could see many people doing the same. Even minutes later I could see he was still there. Those people should not be allowed to drive. I wonder how people like that got their driver's licenses.

Roll on self driving cars. Take the human out of the equation...he says optimistically

May 4, 2022, 10:22 p.m.

Maybe they are closet cyclists!

May 5, 2022, 6:33 a.m.

My first experience driving in Europe really opened my eyes as to how horribly selfish we North Americans are at driving.

May 5, 2022, 6:36 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Maybe they are closet cyclists!

Cyclists tend to stay to the right.

May 5, 2022, 6:44 a.m.

How fast is this so called "fast lane"? Definitely faster than the car ahead of you right!? I stick to the travel lane and use the passing lane as needed, which is often. Camping out in the "fast lane" expecting to do 20-30 over at all times is silly.

May 5, 2022, 9:37 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

They hear you.  They are ignoring you.  They don't care.  There are people that think as long as they are going the speed limit or close that entitles them to that lane and anyone that has a problem with it is the real asshole.  A lot of old timers do this too because staying in the left lane takes having to deal with the hassle of merging traffic from on ramps out of their peaceful drive.

I drove the I-5 to California once and the people parked in the left lane is so bad you would make way better time just staying in the right lane the entire time.   It took me a day and a half and most of my nerves to figure that out.

May 5, 2022, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

My first experience driving in Europe really opened my eyes as to how horribly selfish we North Americans are at driving.

I feel this is the most relevant point, the cultural differences between “fuck you I got mine” versus a general understanding of etiquette that will allow for the smooth functioning of society.

May 5, 2022, 10:37 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

How fast is this so called "fast lane"? Definitely faster than the car ahead of you right!? I stick to the travel lane and use the passing lane as needed, which is often. Camping out in the "fast lane" expecting to do 20-30 over at all times is silly.

Speed limit is not the important factor. If people are stacked up behind you, and passing you on the right, you are in the wrong lane.

May 5, 2022, 11:24 a.m.

If those drivers are really there every day doing 90 in the left lane like you say, your options are:

• Keep getting upset about them. Rant about it in NBR.
  • Don't give them any thought and just pass them on the right.
  • Slow down to 90 yourself and go with the flow. Save gas, money, and the environment. You'll be home a few minutes later worst case but won't be upset at the other drivers.
May 5, 2022, 11:37 a.m.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/road-safety-rules-and-consequences/keep-right

May 5, 2022, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

If those drivers are really there every day doing 90 in the left lane like you say, your options are:

• Keep getting upset about them. Rant about it in NBR.
  • Don't give them any thought and just pass them on the right.
  • Slow down to 90 yourself and go with the flow. Save gas, money, and the environment. You'll be home a few minutes later worst case but won't be upset at the other drivers.

The point being that "the flow" is greater than 90, and most are going with the flow. It only takes one to disrupt said flow.

Edit: the only times I've paid for gas in the past 8 years is when renting a car on a work related trip.

Last edited by: KenN on May 5, 2022, 12:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.