Landlord's dishwasher leaked through our ceiling, onto my computer.

Aug. 16, 2013, 6:49 a.m.

I may be misinterpreting here but I want to point out that it is totally irresponsible for you not to have insurance. Especially if you are in a high rise (this sounds more like a basement suite however)

If something happens in your suite (and you are somehow responsible) and causes damage, you may be found liable. Having insurance is having an advocate in your corner for these types of situations. It's not just about your possessions which replacing can be surprisingly expensive.

Here's what you do: get a written estimate for repairs from apple. Take a copy of that to your landlord and take pictures of the water damage on the ceiling, and anywhere in the suite. They will need these items for their insurance claim and subsequent repairs…..and your reimbursement.

If you only need a hard drive and memory you may be able to get these at NCIX on Broadway and even upgrade the harddrive to ssd for much less than apples suggestion. I would wait until the landlord tells you what he is doing before you do anything.

Next, get some insurance. It won't cost much and you should have it. Go for a replacement value policy.

Aug. 16, 2013, 7:21 a.m.

Someone's a insurance salesman. I need to get some though..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 16, 2013, 7:25 a.m.

In a highrise condo, if the same thing were to happen, the unit where the leak starts is responsible for all damage caused by the leak as I remember it.

Kn.

Not correct. This may have been the way under the Condominium Act, but the Strata Property Act is pretty clear: to each their own.

The Corporations insurance will cover the cost to repair "the base building". All improvements and contents have to claimed under the individuals owner (or Tenant) policy.

In most cases the Corporation can charge the owner of the Strata Lot that gave rise to the claim an amount equal to the Strata's deductible.

Assuming the "leaker" and the "leakee" both have their own insurance there will probably be some subrogation going on, but don't count on it.

If you live in a box with other boxes stacked above, below, and beside you, you should always have your own policy.

Aug. 16, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

Someone's a insurance salesman. I need to get some though..

If you are refering to me, I'm not in insurance or real estate.

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

Part of the fault lies with the Landlord, but not why most would assume. Any landlord worth his or her salt will require proof of renter's insurance as a stipulation of renting.

Get renter's insurance. Not just for your stuff, but for liability which could REALLY fuck you over if you're not covered.

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:13 a.m.

Just get that apple insurance and have them fix it

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

renters insurance has covered a stolen bike on 2 different occasions. Was very glad I had the insurance.

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:16 a.m.

renters insurance has covered a stolen bike on 2 different occasions. Was very glad I had the insurance.

Say what?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:24 a.m.

Say what?

Supposedly me explaining my thoughts it difficult today :(
Round 2

I can say that renters insurance is a good thing to have. I've had a total of 3 bikes stolen over the years and 2 of the thefts were covered. One wasn't worth it since the bike was a beater.

Insurance I have now covers up to 6K per bike (no special rider), all my camera gear (hobby use only), and it also covers if I loose it (there's a fancy name but I can't remember it).

It's a little off topic but that's the way my brains works :dizzy:

Aug. 16, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

How much is renters insurance? We'll be moving soon, it'll probably be a good idea by the sounds of it.

Aug. 16, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

I'm sure it costs more in Canada, but I pay about $10/month.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 16, 2013, 10 p.m.

I'm sure it costs more in Canada, but I pay about $10/month.

Wow. For $40k replacement value on all our stuff we were quoted recently around $100/month with a $2500 deductible. Needless to say we are still looking.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Aug. 17, 2013, 3:06 a.m.

We don't have a tonne of nice things, so 100/Mo doesn't make sense. I like the 10/Mo picepoint though!

Aug. 17, 2013, 7:28 a.m.

Wow. For $40k replacement value on all our stuff we were quoted recently around $100/month with a $2500 deductible. Needless to say we are still looking.

Jesus Christ! I would have to look at my policy but I'm thinking I have around $25-30k replacement value, and deductible is definitely under a grand.

Then again, when I sold my truck in BC and basically bought the same thing (sold a 4runner, bought a nissan pickup, both mid 90's) I came out $1800 ahead on the sale and insurance went from $2500 to $1000 per year, and that includes collision.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 18, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

I just renewed my Owners policy with Park Insurance (Emily @ Highgate branch in Burnaby).

She cut my costs in half.

My old policy had to endorse my bikes w/separate rider at about $7/$100 of value - which we all know adds up fast.

She got me a policy that has unlimited coverage on bikes included (up to value of contents/belongings insured).

If I recall it was $500 for the year. With either a $300 or $500 deductible.

My old insurer (Coast Capital) was more than that just for the bikes.